ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
former lurker

and Squat Ratio....

I've been looking at Stiff legged Dead's and have noticed that it categorised as a 'lower back' exercise....

and the Straight leg Dead is categorised as a 'Hamstring' exercise....

I've personally always done 'straight leg' deadlifts to hit my hamstrings, but often I find that many people refer to them as 'stiff legged deadlifts' and call 'stiff legged deads' 'romanian deadlifts'....

I've also been told that the ratio of stiff legged deadlifts should be 1:1 to that of your 'sqaut' - h/e i'm wondering if this applies to the stiff or straight legged version.... since the stiff legged version invovles more lower back and glute involvement, it's more likely that one could handle the load, eventhough I've never really performed the exercise myself....

so I was wondering if anyone knew which of the two one can perform with a greater load.... and when people generally talk of 'stiff leg deads' are they talking about 'Romania style' or 'straight'....

thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:24 pm 

Straight leg has to be done with light loads as it's more of a stretch than a lift. Stiff legged, which means the legs are not locked, can be done very heavy. Mine is higher than my squat. the stiff legged is the same as the RDL and it's sometimes called Keystone deadlifts since Dr. Squat thinks you look like a Keystone Kop when you do them.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 pm 
former lurker

stuward wrote:
Straight leg has to be done with light loads as it's more of a stretch than a lift. Stiff legged, which means the legs are not locked, can be done very heavy. Mine is higher than my squat. the stiff legged is the same as the RDL and it's sometimes called Keystone deadlifts since Dr. Squat thinks you look like a Keystone Kop when you do them.

thanks for the response.

as far as your squat is that a full squat or parallel?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:01 pm 

My squat is below parallel.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley