ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am 

hey,

i read a lot of stuff about bodyweight training and calisthenics. i checked out the exercise pages and found out that there are no bodyweight exercises that train the teres minor, infraspinatus and lateral deltoid. isn't it necessary to train these muscles? otherwise bodyweight training/calisthenics would not be a good choice.

edit: okay, inverted row is a bodyweight exercise. but i mean exercises that can easily be done outside a fitness studio.

edit #2: how about lying under a table, grabbing the sites of the table and pulling oneself up. i think this works more like a row than like a pull-up?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

handstand push ups'll work your lateral delt, but they're pretty advanced.

Bodyweight training is more about getting fit than developing every muscle. If you want to do more kinda bodybuilder stuff, like build up your lateral deltoid, you'll need to lift weights. You don't really need to worry about your lateral delts unless you are training for the sake of your physique.

yes lying under a table and pulling yourself up will be more like a row.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 am 

i know handstand pushups, they look very dificult but maybe i'm gonna give them a try.

i just got interested in this bodyweight exercise stuff cause i read a lot about boxers and gymnasts only doing those exercises and they got very muscular bodies anyway. just look at muhammad ali. or maybe boxing is the key to those more natural looking muscles?

edit: i checked up the exercises page again and found the the side bridge exercise, which works the lateral deltoid. so the only problem is: is it good to do chin-ups as the only back exercise?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 pm 

Why are you concerned about exercising "every muscle"? In the first place, it's impossible, and in the second place, it's unnecessary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 am 

that's what my question was about. so, it would be okay to do only chin ups for a month or so instead of a row exercise?
i just want the maximum benefit from my workout sessions cause i only hit the gym two times a week cause of playing soccer 3 times a week.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:54 am 

You can alternate between inverted rows and chinups/pull ups. Having a chin up bar than can be adjusted to several positions is helpful. check the body weight exercises in the "General Back" and "Latissimus Dorsi & Teres Major" area. Hand stand pushups are great and you can progress to them with exercises like hand stands, pike push ups, dive bombers, etc.

The other way to go about training rotator cuff and lateral delts is to get a resistance band. Doing the above exercise will work for most people but it you want to give those areas a little extra, you still don't need a gym. Any cable exercise can be duplicated with a band and a little imagination. (A warning, if you're going to do resistance band face pulls with a heavy band, make sure the anchor you use is solidly attached. They move like a bullet when under tension and a purple band has a lot of tension. I learned that this week.)

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley