ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm 
n00b
n00b

[/b]][/b]Hi I'm 52 and have been working like crazy since January. Background: I'm about 10% up above range for normal body composition. Haven't lost much weight but clothing is looser and I've really been increasing my heartrate to upper target for about 40 minutes. I do all of the weight machines I was trained on and eat about 1200 to 1400 cal. per day. My problem is that as I increase my weights on machines and work faster with aerobics ie treadmill, elliptical, lifecycle, I'm seriously beginning to have some migraine triggers with the yucky visual auras, lack of vision, and moderate pain. My BP is well managed and I do take Maxide. I have a history of migraine-though visual auras have greatly dissipated in recent years. Question: Any suggestions so that I can continue to work on fitness goals and avoid this migraine rresugent problem. Any advise appreciated. I'd hope I can adapt before needing to call physician unless there is something important I'm not thinking about!
Thank you for any response. Pardon too much background if I just went on and on. :ex: :sunny:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 pm 

Talk to your doctor about switching your BP med to a beta blocker. You'll have to pay less attention to your heart rate and focus on how you feel when you exercise, as beta blockers blunt increases in heart rate. If that isn't helpful, there are several other types of meds that are indicated for migraine prophylaxis, expensive though they are, that might be a help.

Or you could try having a good dose of caffeine just before your workout.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank you very much, I'll talk to my Doctor thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm 

Just to add (listen to doc, because, well he's a doc and he knows what he is talking about), there is no harm in slowing down when you feel the onset of your problems. Put you ego to the side and take it easy. Heck stop if you have to and go back tomorrow. I think sometimes we stop listening to what our bodies are telling us and we need to just take a break.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:19 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks, good advice! It is smarter to slow down than to push on-I do like what you said about the ego! That's true, too.
Am awaiting medical appointment. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 am 
former lurker

I want to appreciate your good advice! It is clever to slow down than to push on.Thanks, I will follow your advice step by step.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:13 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I’m suspicious, have been on other threads (Read: Nutrition) that there is team spam at play. OP is the seemingly innocent, while actually laying down the key words for future auto spammers to find, to spew nonsense. This way the thread stay up and open, “since the OP was for realz”.