ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TimD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:26 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Damn.... doesn't seem like long ago at all he was giving me advice on tricep work and, as usual, giving concise solid advice based on a lot of experience.

Know a lot of you knew him well, but I'm definately gutted to see this message too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Jungledoc wrote:
Kenny, it seemed more sudden, because he hadn't shared the problems he'd been having. He mentioned in a post several weeks before that he'd had some TIAs. I PM'd him and asked about this. By then he had found out that they weren't really TIAs, but the cancer. He didn't share any more on the board, so I didn't bring it up until after he "disappeared". IM did some searching online, and found a neighbor who gave him the additional detail, scant as they are. There was information that he was living with his father, but we don't know any more than that.

Jungledoc,

Thanks for the information.

I never understand things like this and never will.

Kenny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:14 pm 

My birth name isn't Jason Robert Jones, it was something different and I was named after my father. I took the name after my alcoholic, abusive father got arrested for something like the 11th time. I renamed myself (legally) after my maternal grandfather... who finally succumbed to cancer a few years ago after battling skin cancer for decades. Tough old bastard beat it countless times, and lived a full decade past the doctors best case scenario. He even kept fighting through emphysema, lung cancer and finally bone cancer.

He was a father figure to me, and I delivered his eulogy. Every day I try to live up to his name.

It's a terrible, terrible shame about TimD. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet him on here, and I truly empathize with the sense of loss many have expressed in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:02 pm 

I was thinking today that it has been a shame that i haven't been able to lurk or post here in awhile. Now hearing this about TimD makes really regret not checking in sooner. Tim was very wise and had a lot of really good advice for many people. I have to admit that I am really upset at this news. Rest in peace, TimD - you will be missed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

TimD, you'll be missed.

Even though I've never met him, it feels as if a mentor has passed away.
He was here when I was just beginning to exercise and helped me with my questions.

I always imagined him as an older man fishing on a boat, while listening to the beach boys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I just found out about TimD's passing, and I feel as badly about it as if a member of my own family had died. Tim was a tremendous source of information, but he could explain complicated training issues in easy to understand terms. He will be missed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

yeah it's a very sad time for the forum.

Tim would want us to carry on and honour his memory by being as helpful to others as he was to us, and I'm sure that's what we'll all do

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

TimD gave me the confidence to get the power rack (just like his) and advised me to also get the pulley, I'm using 3-4 days every week for the past 15 months.
For me, he had a knack of finding that question you really needed a contra-view for, or the ones he was uniquely qualified to add value. He wasn't here to hear himself speak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Now that I am back I just saw this. Very sad, I kind of have a pit in my stomach now. He always had great advice for me and provided much encouragement. Perhaps I can pay it back by continuing with my lifting goals.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Timothy Dewey was our first volunteer moderator at ExRx.net.
I believe those that he has touched will miss him as we do.
We love you, Tim...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:20 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm sorry to read about TimD's death. He had some kind words for me when I was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer six years ago. He and I were the same age.

I read way more than I post at this forum because my level of knowledge about fitness is far below that of the vast majority of posters here. But it's educational to read the posts. Take care and be well everyone!

Tim

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I know I'm pretty late on this, but I was looking back at some of my old posts/threads and realised how much of the knowledge I have gained about fitness (limited as it may be) has come from his sage advice! He will be terribly missed around here, his ability to give "been there done that" advice without sounding boastful or discouraging to noobs (like myself, still to this day infact!) was second to none, he must have been a very patient man!

R.I.P. TimD!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:16 pm 

Man I'm sorry to read this. RIP TimD, I wish the best to his friends and family..