ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:59 am 

I have initiated this to allow people to comment on my training log should they feel the need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:44 am 

Maxed out in deads last evening and hit a new pr of 500lbs for 1r with the cambered bar (see online journal, May 6/06 workout).

I feel like i was in a train wreck during the night! My WHOLE body hurts today. I could not sleep - possibly overtrained? I could not get comfortable or relax a single muscle last night - probably what kept me up all night! Maybe showing my age?

Still feels great to pull that weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:50 pm 

Curious why you use the cambered bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:45 pm 

I originally bought the cambered bar for doing farmers walks (easier to load, lesser # of plates needed than my farmers walk implements).

I noted that when i lifted the bar to begin the walk, it felt more natural. Also found that i could handle more weight with it (probably due to the natural groove) and so i stuck with it - alternating between it and a conventional bar - usually working up with cambered bar and then backing off and going to the standard bar until my previous best with the cambered bar was reached, and so on...

i also fractured a knee cap awhile ago and for quite some time, deadlifting with a standard bar was risky, brushing my kneecaps/thighs etc. So i actually got very used to it and now i have to admit i prefer lifting with it overall.

-Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:06 am 
Woo hoo! Spring is here.

I can get outside now to do some the non-gym workouts i enjoy.

I hit the highschool campus today to train using the track w/ burpees and swings, followed by the car push.

Felt great to mix it up a bit today. Got a real laugh out of the reaction of a soccer team practising nearby during my car push. I'm not sure if they were impressed, scared or both. Their facial reactions were hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:01 pm 

I am just wondering about your pulling power comments in your journal.

You say you can get a more productive pull by starting higher. You also mention that standing up to this point only extends your arms.

So first of all, obviously great lifters are generating a huge amount of power during the first pull as well as the second pull, so you should be generating some power during this phase where you say you are only lengthening your arms. I am not sure if you have a strange set up that is placing your arms at a weird angle or what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 am 

RyanA,

I think it's all about my proportions. I am only 5'8" tall, but if i had legs that were better proportioned to my torso, i'd be about 6'4"! ;)

This bar position i describe allows me to start in a position that i find much more natural for my build, while maintaining correct form and posturing from start to finish.

The higher bar position allows me to better blend squat depth (of my short legs) and forward lean (of my looooong torso) in combination with my ankle flexibility (which is horrifyingly poor) and preferred grip width (shoulder width max). For me to meet the same criteria in the lower bar position, i need to significantly widen my grip to nearly snatch-width and lean backward on my heels to get the vertical shin position.

It's hard for me to explain any other way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:32 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Hoister. I see you have adopte Javoreks BB complex I into your workouts. I do one of his complexes daily. I do have a question for you though. Bradford press. Can you describe it. I've heard the term before, and confuse it with a U press. A U press is where you start with the bar on the shoulders, lift it up so that it barely clears the head, then let it down behind the neck, then back up to barely clear the head, then back down in front. That's one rep. It's usually (me anyway) done with a wide (snatch) grip and very useful for shoulder flexibility. Are we talking similar exercises? And yes, I know who he was, one of Hoffman's York BB club lifters.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:50 pm 

Hi Tim,

I do it almost exactly as the U press you describe, but i use a normal grip and press it to lock out.

-Hoister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:36 pm 

Hi Hoister. Wow, regular grip front and back. I've done it when I was playing around with a thing called 20's, but the shoulder width thing from behind, while being good for flexibility, is probably beyond most peoples reach with any major weight. 20's are sets of 5 combined, meaning 5 Bradford or U presses (full up) then 5 front to top of head, down to back of neck, then 5 up to top of head, then 5 full.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:34 am 

Hi tim,

Someone else once commented on my ability to do this movement with as narrow a grip as i use. I never really gave it any thought though.

Hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 pm 

It does require a great deal of shoulder flexibility. I was looking through the USAW site, and they had a pic of one of the female lifters that actually caught the jerk in an overhead squat vice the traditional split. There were some comments on that, that it did in fact require lots of shoulder flexibility. And about 5 years ago, there were some pics on the net of a major European contest, and one of the eastern countries (forgot which one), had a kid that pulled the clean over his head (had a sweet low position), landed behind the neck, came back up and jerked it from behind the neck. It was allowed. His coach stated he had more power in that position. Still, that's nothing I would ever try unless I was wearing some type of helmet.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:04 pm 

Thought i should update my training log with some notes on how i am doing things now and so on.

I decided that i will only post my metcon workouts when they change. For everyone's benefit/curiosity i do a strength routine every morning (M-F) and a metcon workout every evening (7days). Both workouts are intended for GPP in terms of max limit strength as well as overall conditioning. I realized that in my initial post here i did not explain the format of my strength sessions so i will now.

Strength sessions:
Mon - Fri, mornings
I do two movements each day based on
-some variation of the deadlift or squat
-some variation of the clean and press

I do progressively heavy singles working up to a max, then 1 single with that max every minute on the minute for 5 minutes (5 max singles).
I vary the increments of the progression as i feel like that day (i.e. in 10's, 20's, or 50's)
These workouts usually take less than 15 minutes.

For deads/squats i am currently working in the range of 400-500lbs consistently, while the clean and press i am consistently working in the range of 180-250lbs. (I am a girly presser!)

Metcon/GPP workouts:
For these I do whatever I feel like doing – complexes, circuits, etc.
I always hit the entire body with these workouts, regardless of the format. That is really the only structure to it.
I try to hit this type of workout every evening, depending on family/work schedules.
Lately I have been focusing on dumbbell/barbell complexes mostly.

As mentioned above, I intend only to post my metcon workouts when I change them up – so assume that I am working out as described above until a new post comes up.

Current stats:
5’8”
170lbs (down 10lbs since start of this journal, much leaner, but actually looking bigger).
(I lost a lot of my excess from strongman days – no longer need the added body weight to assist with truck/sled/car pulls, etc). Feeling much healthier and more athletic overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:09 pm 

Hi Hoister. That's not a bad idea. Was toying of the idea of doing something very similar myself. I like the METCON stuff a lot, and usually do something along those lines 6 days week, and some basic strength stuff a few days a week. I was looking over some old stuff on how to combine them, and you mention Justa in another thread. Think I jhust might try one of his singles routine with the clean and push press and concentrate on the one lif for a cycle or two, metcons in the evenings, strength in the morning, or vice versa. The progression I'm talking about is to take about 70 % 1 RM, and 6 days / week do 3,5,7,9,11,13 reps with it , rest periods minimal, take a day off, up the weight and start over. After a month determine a new max. Sounds like something you may have already tried.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:32 pm 

TimD,

I know that routine well. I used to do that regularly a while back when i competed. I've always been a fan of the Justa singles routine. Worked well for me. I actually used it to periodize up to a comp.

Let us know how it goes!