Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:57 pm 
n00b
n00b

First post, so go easy on me.

First, a little about myself:
I'm 29, 5'10" 165lbs. I've got no fat to speak of (except for maybe a slight beer belly, which i'd like to get rid of!), and I've got no real muscle to speak of either...

My day job entails sitting at a computer all day, so no demands there.

I'm also a photographer, and need to hold up sometimes relatively heavy camera equipment for an extended period of time (ie an 8lb camera setup for an 8hour wedding)

I'm a woodworker in whatever free time i have left, so lifting a 3/4" sheet of 4'x8' plywood without hurting myself or needing help would be nice.

I know almost nothing about strength training / weight lifting / excersize, etc...

My goal:
My goal is almost entirely practical. I'd like to be able to lift more weight for longer periods of time, like sheets of plywood, or camera gear. I'd like to not get winded going up a few flights of stairs. I'd like to be able to lift and play with my future children whenever they want, and not get tired in a few minutes. I dont really play any sports (mainly for lack of time).
It'd also be nice to not look like a complete wuss! Oh, and the health benifits of excersice would be nice too...

I'm looking to more tone and define rather then bulk up. (So maybe more Bruce Lee and less Arnold Schwarzenegger!)

As for a program, like i said before, i know nothing. I have a friend to motivate me to workout. We're planning on doing Mondays and Thursdays at Snap Fitness (one of those 24hr fitness places). I also have an eliptical, a pull-up bar, and "The Perfect Push-ups" thing at home. I tried that on my own, and it didnt really work out.

Don't really enjoy excersice. I'd rather be out in my shop or taking pictures. So this is really a necessary evil for me.

So, what i'm looking for help with, is creating a very efficient workout that will get me the best results with the least ammount of time invested. Having said that, I know that i'll need to dedicate some time to this, i'm not expecting a "get rich quick" kinda thing, just to be as efficient as i can with the time i have.

The next complication is that in about 9 months, my free time will get even more restricted! So, i can potentially shuffle some priorities and dedicate more time to this now if it'll help.

I dont even know where to start.

Some questions i have:
Like i said with being efficient, i've heard about people sitting on an exercise ball at work, what does that do? If it's benificial, i've got 8hours a day waisted!

I have a few friends that are really into working out and i've seen them eating creatine (sp?) powder and or protien powder... Whatever it is, they've got a huge plastic barrel of it. What does that do and should I be eating that?

I've heard that low weight and high reps gives definition, and hight weight and low reps ads bulk, is that true? I'd perfer the definition route...

Thanks in advance for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1. Eating
Eat lots. When combined with heavy lifting and resistance training in general, it will help you get stronger, bigger and better. Plus your recovery increases and you can get rid of that beer belly. Main points are lots and lots of protein. Most likely more than you consume now. No exact amounts, some people recommend somewhere around 1g per lb of bodyweight. So in you case somewhere around 150g or protein and more. Lots of fruits and veggies of course. Carbs after workout, lots. Not so much on the morning. That's my take on that. Creatine has been proven safe and effective to give you strength and size gains, so I would recommend. I will start experimenting with it myself soon too.

2. Training
You can check the stickies for beginner routines. There are alot of good ones there. I did StrongLifts 5x5 and it worked well. However,
I would suggest you to lift 3 to 4 times a week. There are plenty of splits(workout methods) to choose from. You wanted size, strength and endurance. Okay, that's easy. Just lift heavy and lots. I think you should always have a main lift on your workout. That's the exercise you're going high on intensity(amount of weight), and lower on volume(reps). One example is to do a Pull/Push/Legs routine, which would give you the main lifts like Deadlift/Bench Press or similar/Squat. Or an Upper/Lower split, which could make you focus on Squats and Deadlifts/Press and Row.

Okay, some person can whip you a workout, but these are the exercises I would recommend you having on your program for sure:
Squat
Deadlift
Some kind of Press (Bench Press, Incline, Overhead, Push-up, etc)
Rows
Pull-ups
Core movements
Rear delt work (face pulls)
Maybe some extra glutework too.

These are all important for your goals, many of them also fight against the postural issues you get from sitting all day.
What I think would be ideal, is that you have one or two main lifts, which you do for 3-5 reps for 3-5 sets. Progressively. And with bloody good form. Start light, focus on technique and form. Read, ask and watch, then repeat until you can perform big exercises like Squats and deadlifts safely.
Then you should have accessorial exercises like Rows, glute work and rear delt work. These you do for 6 to 12 reps for several sets. Simple as that, that could make a workout. No more than 3 to 5 different exercises are enough for one workout. Don't go to failure, there is no need for that now. Leave a rep or two in the tank on sets. Core work is important. No situps please.

That'll get you mind going. Other users will bring more to the tank.

Also, I wrote this in a bit of hurry. Focused just on the simplest and easiest parts. Starting from scratch isn't really an easy task. We don't know where to start from either. I'll maybe write more later

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Origamidave wrote:
As for a program, like i said before, i know nothing. I have a friend to motivate me to workout. We're planning on doing Mondays and Thursdays at Snap Fitness (one of those 24hr fitness places). I also have an eliptical, a pull-up bar, and "The Perfect Push-ups" thing at home. I tried that on my own, and it didnt really work out.

Don't really enjoy excersice. I'd rather be out in my shop or taking pictures. So this is really a necessary evil for me.

Having a workout partner is a big plus. And so does going to a gym. Add working towards a specific goal (ie gaining or losing 5 pounds in three months), and you have an exercise support system in place. Truth be told, exercise can be boring. You can always come up with reasons to blow off workouts if you aren't sufficiently motivated.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3817

The link above lists a number of routines for beginners. But in your case, you need to get into the habit of exercising regularly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm 

Keep your workouts short by doing only big movement exercises. Anything that works the whole body is what you're looking for. Pick up heavy S#!t and move with it.

You're actually lucky to notice that you need exercise now. Most people who exerciser are either strong and athletic and young, and then decline when they are no longer competitive, or they're older and starting to get weak, some leaving it so long they've missed out on their best years. You have an opportunity now to get strong and stay that way, perhaps making significant progress for many years.

Don't worry about gaining bulk. That requires the right genetics and drugs to get as big as you are afraid of getting. Adding 10-20 lbs of muscle will look good on anyone and that usually takes a few years of hard work.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:04 pm 

Dave! Welcome to the forum.

I agree, basically, with what has been said, but I want to add a couple of thoughts, and to answer a couple of the questions you tagged on at the end of your post.

BTW, I'm also interested in both photography and woodworking. One of the stronger guys on this forum (MattZ) is an avid and gifted nature photographer.

My thoughts are mostly about your goals. You really haven't clarified them in your own mind.

You say:
Origamidave wrote:
My goal is almost entirely practical. I'd like to be able to lift more weight for longer periods of time...

So far, so good. But then you add:
Origamidave wrote:
I'm looking to more tone and define rather then bulk up. (So maybe more Bruce Lee and less Arnold Schwarzenegger!)

"Tone" is a vague term. It has a technical definition in strength, but it's not at all what you mean, I'm sure. I think you mean that you want to look firmer, and less flabby. That comes from fat loss.

"Define" is about low body fat and increased muscle size.

"Bulk up" is used a lot by people who train with weights, but they don't always mean the same thing. Do you mean "add muscle" or do you mean "get bigger". They're not the same. I'm guessing that you wouldn't mind more muscle, but many lifters just want to be big, even if that means more fat, and I'm guessing you don't want that.

My suggestion is to focus on strength, to let increased muscle mass come along at it's own pace, and forget all the worries about "tone", "definition" and "bulk".

Origamidave wrote:
I have never enjoyed most forms of exercise, but I have come to truly love strength training. I do it at my own pace, I don't compete with anyone (except my son!), and enjoy solitary pursuits, but also enjoy having company part of the time. In the past I tried many different kinds of exercise, never liked any of it, never stuck with it. There is something about training with a barbell that I have taken to. My suggestion is to not get stuck in a single mode, but to keep doing different things.

Origamidave wrote:
i've heard about people sitting on an exercise ball at work, what does that do? If it's benificial, i've got 8hours a day waisted!
It's a waste of time, unless your company can't afford chairs.

Origamidave wrote:
I have a few friends that are really into working out and i've seen them eating creatine (sp?) powder and or protien powder... Whatever it is, they've got a huge plastic barrel of it. What does that do and should I be eating that?

Both have value for some, maybe even most people. There are threads on this forum about both.

Origamidave wrote:
I've heard that low weight and high reps gives definition, and hight weight and low reps ads bulk, is that true? I'd perfer the definition route...

These are major over-simplifications. Neither is really true. You get definition by increasing muscle size and reducing fat. You get "bulk" what ever you mean by that, by eating lots and lifting heavy.

Origamidave wrote:
Thanks in advance for the help!

You're always welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:21 am 
Novice
Novice

Origamidave wrote:

Of coarse weight training is hard work, your lifting heavy things and putting stress on your body. I would just caution you that your workout has to be challenging in order to make gains, but if you make it so miserable on yourself, you'll be more likely to quit. For you, you have your pals to work out with and give you motivation. When I first started working out I went to a gym full of big power lifters and body builders, I worked out with a couple of pals, one a powerlifter, the other just another guy like me, we were the smallest guys in the gym (and still would be), but I have a lot of good memories of the times in that gym, of accomplishments, hard work and commodore. I also remember driving home exhausted but with a huge sense of accomplishment, that I still get from working out (but being a beginner and making those gains was a lot of fun for me) Hard work has its rewards.

I'm not the most articulate poster on the forum by far, I guess my advice on this post would be to stick with and you might find yourself actually enjoying it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks to all for the info! I'm still digesting. I'm going to try to put togeather a workout program and get your opinions of it. (Hopefully in the next few days i'll get to it)

If you've got any pointers in the mean time i'll all ears!
Thanks

P.S. Glad to hear there are some fellow photographers/woodworkers here! You're more then welcome to check out my site/blog (Why cant i post links? Is it to prevent spam?) so i guess you'll have to message me if you want the link...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Origamidave wrote:
Thanks to all for the info! I'm still digesting. I'm going to try to put togeather a workout program and get your opinions of it. (Hopefully in the next few days i'll get to it)

Do you plan to go to the gym while you develop your workout? Actually following an average exercise program is much more beneficial than endlessly planning (but never following) a great workout.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:49 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

sj is wise, of course we know that

I'll supplement that with gonig to the gym first will b e essential for you to develop a program that you stick to. It's an on going experience

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 pm 

Origamidave wrote:

Thanks

P.S. Glad to hear there are some fellow photographers/woodworkers here! You're more then welcome to check out my site/blog (Why cant i post links? Is it to prevent spam?) so i guess you'll have to message me if you want the link...

The "no links" thing is to prevent spam but if you send a PM to Ironman, he will probably change that for you. In the meantime, just change the "." to "dot" and we'll get the message.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

Yeah, I was going to do that but wasn't sure if I should.. Anyway for anyone who cares, it's here: davidkleinot dot com. I've been on other forums where people are really strict about that kinda stuff.

I will most likely procrastinate on this for as long as i can :p
I've set aside some time tomorrow to putting togeather a workout so I'll hopefully post Monday.

stuward wrote:
Origamidave wrote:

Thanks

The "no links" thing is to prevent spam but if you send a PM to Ironman, he will probably change that for you. In the meantime, just change the "." to "dot" and we'll get the message.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:24 pm 

Dave--thanks for the URL of your site. Beautiful work!