ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back From Illness
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey guys, I just came back from being sick for a very long time. It turns out that I have a serious Gluten Allergy and even though Im not a full celiac, I hurt my body every day for the past few years by eating bread everyday and pasta almost every week. Little by little I killed my insides apparently and 2 months ago I woke up from my bed in so much pain that I thought my appendix burst. I was rushed to the hospital and they told me I had a stomach virus at first glance before they did the full check up because I was showing signs of a virus. So I stayed there over night while my stomach got so bad, that they actually gave me heavy dosages of morphine (terrible, VERY TERRIBLE) The next day, after getting my blood works checked and after several other checks they asked me if i eat a lot of bread and I said yeah everyday. So then they said I have Gluten Intolerance and even though I didnt notice I had it, I damaged my insides pretty badly. The doctor Told me it would take from 3 to 6 months to fully heal my stomach up. I ended up leaving the hospital but my stomach still hurt everyday for a few weeks. I wasnt allowed to have dairy, processed sugars, or even corn based products. I was also told to eat very minimally and to chew my food extremely well to help digestion. This absolutely killed me because I ended up dropping a lot of weight last month. My doctor prescribed me natural probiotics and digestive enzymes as well. So about 3 weeks ago I actually started training again and my first goal is to gain back a lot of strength. I feel like most of my strength came back in the first 2 weeks ( Thank God but the irst week I wasnt even able to hit 70% of my maxes). Im doing low reps with good amounts of sets and I'm asking you guys for a quick Old Fashioned Routine Check up. I know its not the best workout ever But Im trying to do everything frequently so i can blast my body back into shape.

Sunday
Flat Bench Dumbell Press 4X5
Cable Rows 4X5
Inclined Dumbell Press 3X5
Lat Pulldown Cable 3X5
Shoulder Front Raises/Side Raises 3X5 reps each

Monday
Squat 4X5 2X4 3X2 2X1

Tuesday
Barbell Bench Press (3X5, 2X2)
Barbell Rows (3X5)
Dead Lift (4X2)

Wendesday
Squat 8X2
Military Press
5X2
Captains Chair Leg Raises
Captains Chair knee to chest raises
Captains Chair Straight Leg Holds

Thursday
Rest or Planks

Friday
Rest

Saturday
Rest

Seems to be working for me but is there anything I need to add or remove? Am I getting Proper Rest?

Post subject: Re: Back From Illness
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

the routine looks fine but I'd space your days out a little more

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Why work out four days a row and rest three? Is there any thought or reason why you have arranged such an overloader? It could work. Or then you will be broken to pieces by wendesday every week..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

well in the past when I spaced my workouts out, I was actually a bit more uncomfortable. I dont know why but I felt like I acnt take a break in between because for me it was on and off on and off . SO this time around, I decided to use the first 4 days of the week and do rest 3 days because honestly, I feel no overload at all. The only time I ever feel overload is when I do higher reps but when I stick to low reps, I can do a certain exercise like squats about twice a week and I actually gain from it, especially my one to 5 rep maxes. Plus by the time Im back from the 3 days off, I am fully recovered and ready to tackle it again. Also the other reason why I make my workout like this is simply because of stimulants. What I mean is, I usually drink coffee or an energy drink before a workout and I dont want to get addicted to it or not feel the same effect each time I use it. That is why right after my wednesday workout I have absolutely no coffee for the next 3 days which in turn keeps my tolerance extremely low. By sunday, it only takes a little more than half a cup to wire me. On monday I drink a large cup. On tuesday, I have black tea instead because the workout is short. ANd on Wednesday I have a small cup. So I dont care if anyone on here thinks this is retarded or stupid. To me, a big part of training is learning to control certain things like diets, timing, and STIUMULANTS because lets face it, once we get used to stimulants, we need more each time and more and more until we feel no effect and I dont like that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I would do Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Off/Off/Off if I had to do 4 in a row, personally.

You press 3 out of 4 days

Add Pull Ups or some rear delt work on Wednesday, and generally more Volume on Back, keep some Heavy back to.

And glad you are better, I miss these classic threads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

Got it Ill probably get rid of 1 set on lat pull down on sunday and add 2 sets of pull ups in. should I add power cleans ? or a clean and press and get rid of shoulder front raises and side raises? that way I add a good backworkout but keep a steady shoulder workout. I didnt realize it was too many presses. What do you put dead lifts with? on upper day or lower day because this was a huge debate for me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Immortal2 wrote:
Got it Ill probably get rid of 1 set on lat pull down on sunday and add 2 sets of pull ups in. should I add power cleans ? or a clean and press and get rid of shoulder front raises and side raises? that way I add a good backworkout but keep a steady shoulder workout. I didnt realize it was too many presses. What do you put dead lifts with? on upper day or lower day because this was a huge debate for me

I'd put Deadlifts on lower body. They will activate your upper body and back aswell, but it still is a hip dominant movement.
Power cleans and clean and press are great exercises. But they would have to be almost first on your workouts, since they are the biggest compound exercises that take lots of explosive force production. And I wouldn't recommend too high rep sets. Comparing them with some front or lateral raises is absurd. If I had to put them somewhere, I would ditch the military press and replace it with power clean or clean and press. And do them before squatting.

And maybe Deadlift on monday. It gives your legs a day rest between huge overloading exercises that are in fact quite hard on your CNS, wether it wears you off or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

exactly which dead lifts are we talking about it here? I just want to get this straight so I'm not confused and no one else is. I dont do straight leg dead lifts I do the ones with full form. Thats the ones I'm talking about

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Immortal2 wrote:
exactly which dead lifts are we talking about it here? I just want to get this straight so I'm not confused and no one else is. I dont do straight leg dead lifts I do the ones with full form. Thats the ones I'm talking about

I'm talking about the conventional deadlift, not any of it's variations. Usually the variation is mentioned if it's being talked about.
Nevertheless it doesn't matter if your legs are straight or if you're pulling from pins or with a different bar. It still is a hip dominant movement, based on hip extension. The strongest emphasis on deadlifts are on hamstrings, glutes, and lower back in general. On runner up there's quads on some phases of the movement, also erector spinae, lats, traps and gripping muscles.