ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stretching exercises
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:45 am 
former lurker

I am fairly new to exercising and new to this site and need a bit of help please. My trainer suggested I do some stretching exercises at home on days I don't have sessions with her. She mentioned this site and said to look for stretching exercises but I cannot find any on this site. Would someone please be so kind as to tell me which tab or link to click to find stretching exercises and examples? Thank you in advance!!

Post subject: Re: Stretching exercises
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

could you provide some insight to why she recommended stretching to you?

What needs stretching ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Okay, if your trainer just says you to look for stretching exercises. She's plain crazy, lazy, or doesn't know a thing.
"Do stretching exercises". What does that even mean? Why should you do them? What muscle should you stretch? Why didn't the trainer show any good ones and gives her business to internet? I guess you shouldn't rely on her on anything else, just check online.
What kind of stretches? Static or dynamic, longer or shorter?

That just makes little sense.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you go to the exercise directory: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html you will find a list of body parts and muscles. Click on each body part and you can see a list of exercises for each. On the right side of the list you will find the stretches.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 am 

Just stretching isn't of any value. If you have a tight muscle or muscle group that you need to lengthen, stretching might be helpful. There is an old idea that's been around the exercise world for a long, long time, that a routine of general stretching is somehow helpful. Some even claim that this can reduce injuries. It has never been shown that it can. I'd even suggest that if you stretch things that don't need to be stretched, you can even increase your risk of injury. I do 2 stretches routinely, but they are things that I feel that I in particular, need. I'd never recommend them to someone else to do just because I think they are good stretches.

Although Dub may have seemed harsh to you, I agree with what he said. A trainer who tells you just to go and find some stretches is proving that you can find out a lot of what you need yourself. If she tells you to go find your own stretches, she probably should tell you to find your own program and exercises. If she has no more expertise than that, or no more commitment to your individual training, I'd suggest that you redirect the money that you are paying her into a few good books. Or a better trainer.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 am 
former lurker

Thanks guys for the advice. In her defense she suggested stretching exercises because I am very tight and she thought it would help me. She did show me some exercises but when I get home I tend to forget half of them. Short term memory loss. I asked her for some websites to show stretching so I could have my laptop near me when I stretch. Thats when she suggested this website. Thanks again.