ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi folks,

I've just moved into an apartment complex with a small gym, but I'm only here for a month and want to use that time as efficiently as possible so was wondering how best to maximise fat loss over that period, as that is my aim. It's actually quite well kitted out with free weights, and has a squat rack, bench press, incline bench press, and an adjustable bench.

I know that weights is the best way forward for that due to the EPOC etc. so my plan is to do a weights workout on Sun, Tue and Thu, and HIIT cardio sessions on Mon, Wed and sometimes Friday (or Saturday). I'll be using mainly compound exercises such as deadlifts, squats, bench presses etc. I'm also going to add in some isolation exercises for my arms and chest to see if I can develope them a bit, as they're lagging behind a little, but it's not a priority, I just want to shift the fat more than anything!

What I was wondering though is what kind of set/rep range I should be using with the weights? Should I be going heavy with few reps? Or lighter with more? And is it the same principle as when you try to bulk up i.e. trying to increase the weight over time?

I know a great deal of fat loss is in diet, so I'm making sure I eat a diet high in protein to complement the training.

I've already been doing it for a week and have definitely lost some fat already, but still have more to lose (I never weigh myself I go by waist measurement alone).

Any advice on this at all would be fantastic :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

First off, one month wont get you far. You'll lose a little fat quickly, but if you want serious and good results, more than a handful of months is required, depends on your body composition. Find a new gym after a month. These aren't any new years resolution workouts, they won't get you lean overnight.

In the gym: Heavy resistance training.
Big, compound movements, preferably whole body or two day split workouts. Isolation won't do much for fat loss, but it's acceptable if you do it on the side. Anyway, 8 to 12 reps for 3 to 5 sets with 30s-120s rest would be the optimal workout window you need. But, some people, like myself, like to throw in one or two more intense exercises, like 3 to 5 reps for several (2 to 6) sets. Optional tho, but will help you get stronger on the side, and is also a great contributor for the EPOC -effect and metabolic disturbance.

Intensive anaerobic Interval training comes next.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks a lot for the reply mate :)

I understand that for proper and sustained fat loss that I need to keep going to the gym for more than one month, but the reason I only have one month is because I'm going to be travelling around Australia in June, then doing a bit of Thailand in July, and going to the gym isn't going to be a priority at all during that time!

I'm going to sign up for a longer period of time when I return home though definitely :)

I was just looking for some tips on how to make the most of this month that I have so your answer was perfect, thank you :)