ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:07 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quick question: Where to after Starting Strength? My goal is to do get down to 95kg and continue SS until I'm squatting and deadlifting 142.5kg (1.5 x body weight) and benching 95kg (body weight) before changing up to something else, but what to change to is the question! I just want to say that I know I'm nowhere near those numbers just yet, but I'm adding 7.5kg a week, assuming I can stick to the linear progression upto these numbers I should get there in around 8 weeks so thought I would get prepared so I can research my choice properly!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm 

Quote:
Wife is being induced into labour tomorrow

How did it go?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Quote:
Wife is being induced into labour tomorrow

How did it go?

Very well, we now have a little boy named Felix Daniel Wright! Wife was induced at 8.30am and Felix arrived at 12.22pm, so nice and quick! Both Mum and Bub are doing fine and helping me celebrate my 31st birthday today by letting me work out later this afternoon! lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:32 am 

two Anzac day birthdays? excellent. congratulations; great news.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robt-aus wrote:
two Anzac day birthdays? excellent. congratulations; great news.

Nah just me Rob, Felix was born last Friday on the 20th! However we're both Taurus star signs, which isn't looking good for my daughter who is Leo, my sister and I are both Taurus and my Dad was a Leo and we always teamed up and gave him hell! haha

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:39 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Just realised last night that I am a total moron! I've been doing 5 reps for 3 sets on Power Cleans all this time when it's supposed to be 3 reps for 5 sets, I feel very silly! That said, I can't drop my weights, so going slightly lighter for more reps per set has been fine, I need to sort out some "Landing Pads" for my weights and step it up I think!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 am 

Well, I don't think quite comes up to the standard of total moron. Just subtotal moron. Still, kind of funny.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:14 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

True Doc! At least I've seen improvement in a linear form and things like vertical jump and running speed have improved on the basketball court! I'm able to touch a regulation goal for the first time in about 12 or 13 years and my ability to get back on defence or chase down an opponent on the fast break have improved dramatically! I know there's a lot of factors involved, but the PCs are the most explosive movement I'm doing so they get some of the credit for these things!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ran out of weight plates, had to use partially empty tins of paint to get to 110kg for Squats and Deads, but desperate time lead to depserate measures! lol

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am 

Time to hit the yard sales.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Time to hit the yard sales.

Pretty much yeah! lol I can get 20kg plates for $39 a pop at Kmart, but it's still money I'd rather spend elsewhere!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 am 

Do Aussies do yard sales?

Do you have Craig's List?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:10 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Do Aussies do yard sales?

Do you have Craig's List?

We tend to call them Garage Sales (though 99% of them don't actually happen in or near a garage, go figure?) and there's a site called Gumtree which is a "for sale" site which is more popular then Craig's List over here! Missed out on a bargain off Gumtree a couple of weeks ago and nothing worthwhile has popped up since! Missed out on a bench, 7' standard bar, 6' standard bar, ezy curl bar, spin lock DB handles and 100kg of weight for... $100AUD! Called the guy, said "I'll take them, be there 9am sharp tomorrow, should I pay a deposit?" "Nah mate, she'll be right!" then I text an hour later to get the address again as I misplaced the piece of paper I'd written it on and he texts back "Sorry mate, sold 'em 15 minutes ago!" I was rather PO'd!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

So I may have found a cost effective solution for the time being! The old car I'm restoring has old school large wheels and I happen to have some drum brake hubs that I can bolt to them and make them roughly 30kg but the hole through the middle is too large without bearing and too small with bearings so I'll be getting on my father in-lws lathe and spinning up some wood bearings for them over the next few days! The added bonus is the tires mean I can drop the bar on power cleans, down side is the bar will sit slightly higher then an olympic bar, which means I'll be also making up a platform out of some old shipping crates I have lying around!!! All for the sake of saving $80 or less! lol

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:26 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ghetto Weights!!!! Wheels courtesy of my ride (pic below) which is in the middle of a full restoration!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next