ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Too bad I didn't know about HIIT when I was jogging 30+ miles a week (and beating the sh-t out of my lower back) to improve my "health"

Gretchen Reynolds wrote:
Instead of asking how much exercise we need, some scientists are looking into how little we can do and still get maximal health and fitness benefits.

The answer appears to be a lot less than most of us think — provided we’re willing to put in some effort. That’s the secret behind high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, an approach to training that compresses all of your exercise into only a few minutes — and the subject of our first Phys Ed video, “The 20-Minute Workout,” part of a new series that will be appearing regularly on Well.

I introduce you to the work of scientists at McMaster University in Ontario who have been at the forefront of HIIT research, studying what the training can do for us and how we can do it in a manageable, practical way. I’ve written about HIIT before: “How 1-Minute Intervals Can Improve Our Health” and “Can You Get Fit in Six Minutes a Week?” Now you can go behind the scenes to see the scientists at work.

HIIT isn't new to veteran members of this board, but this is one of the few times I've seen it mentioned in the popular press.

They produced a short video, which can be seen at this link

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Too bad I didn't know about HIIT when I was jogging 30+ miles a week (and beating the sh-t out of my lower back) to improve my "health"

Gretchen Reynolds wrote:
Instead of asking how much exercise we need, some scientists are looking into how little we can do and still get maximal health and fitness benefits.

The answer appears to be a lot less than most of us think — provided we’re willing to put in some effort. That’s the secret behind high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, an approach to training that compresses all of your exercise into only a few minutes — and the subject of our first Phys Ed video, “The 20-Minute Workout,” part of a new series that will be appearing regularly on Well.

I introduce you to the work of scientists at McMaster University in Ontario who have been at the forefront of HIIT research, studying what the training can do for us and how we can do it in a manageable, practical way. I’ve written about HIIT before: “How 1-Minute Intervals Can Improve Our Health” and “Can You Get Fit in Six Minutes a Week?” Now you can go behind the scenes to see the scientists at work.

HIIT isn't new to veteran members of this board, but this is one of the few times I've seen it mentioned in the popular press.

They produced a short video, which can be seen at this link

I'm in the process of swapping my long steady state runs for HIIT/Tabata as my joints just aren't liking the long runs, I was only doing long runs to train for Fun Runs, the there's no "Fun" with the type of pain I experienced in an 8k Fun Run on Sunday! Also a good friend of mine and basketball team mate has seen huge success and weight loss and endurance gain using HIIT dropping from 105kg to 78kg (6 feet tall) in a little over 6 months and now "Bulking" out to around 83kg over the next 6 months. There were other factors of course, diet, motivation levels and supplements, but he was doing everything other than the HIIT at the 105kg weight after dropping from 115kg over 2 months! Anyway, I like the idea and intend to try as of Thursday this week!