ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I would second StrengthCoach, it's easily one of my best resources. For the articles and forum discussions a lone. Some very great minds of people of various backgrounds and levels of experience. Any time i've had a problem, something i'm not sure about, or just something i've been pondering, I can just ask on StrengthCoach.

KPj

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

vanillarama wrote:
Wow, I'm envious you're doing a program like that. I wish so much I'd gone with exercise science rather than my history degree (hindsight, blah). What are you finding the most interesting or surprising aspects of your study? A somewhat general question, I know, but I love to hear about people's passions or discoveries while learning.

Suprising? Maybe most the fact how much I'm enjoying it. Maybe another thing is the fact that 60-75% from the stuff I've learned this year only comes from my own independent resaerching and studying. Here a lecture or a formal lesson is untypical. Either we teach each other, or then we do these reports or so-called "Information retrievals", in wich we look specific information to a subject from books, articles, internet etc. The teacher or lecturer is more or less just a tutor in most cases, and all the responsibility falls to our own work.

Also the huge variety of my studies suprised me at first. After this year, as an example, I'm quite compatible to take part on competetive dancing, altough I might not succeed. I know lots about human anatomy and physiology, I've been lecturing teenagers about health education, I've kept exercising hours for daycare children. Everything. And it's been great. I'm quite suprised about the fact that I'm okay with performing and instructing/guiding people. And getting better.

Quote:
A question for all- I just came across the site PTonthenet. Would you all consider it a good investment? Are there other resource sites (besides this one, obviously) that you would recommend?

Elitefts is a must for me.bFor strength training, condition training, team and young people training, and sometimes even diet. Great articles from people with tons of knowledge. Usually packed with lots of resource material. I also read tons of S&C blogs, like Bret Contreas', Ben Brunos, Mike Robertsons, Eric Cresseys, John Kiefers to say a few. But that's not a must. That's just my own interest

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:16 am 
n00b
n00b

Dub wrote:
Maybe another thing is the fact that 60-75% from the stuff I've learned this year only comes from my own independent resaerching and studying.

This. I feel like as soon as we touch on something, we're onto something else. I basically am writing things down that, when I have time after studying everything to get through the course, I actually have to sit down (or get in the gym) and learn about.

Pretty overwhelmed right now, with a lot of self-doubt mixed in with moments of breakthroughs. Programming is a lot harder than I expected it to be, but that's why I'm not just doing it on my own, I suppose!

I checked out a lot of these resources all of you suggested, and I'm going with a couple of them- that ptonthenet is actually pretty cool with a lot of resources I can use, so I guess I'll invest in that also. Some of the resources suggested deal mostly with elite performance, which is a bit beyond the scope I will be dealing with.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:40 am 

vanillarama wrote:
Dub wrote:
Maybe another thing is the fact that 60-75% from the stuff I've learned this year only comes from my own independent resaerching and studying.

This. I feel like as soon as we touch on something, we're onto something else. I basically am writing things down that, when I have time after studying everything to get through the course, I actually have to sit down (or get in the gym) and learn about.

Ideally, all learning is like this - you go to school to learn what questions you need to ask, and where to go look for the answers. This is a good sign - beware the people who think they learned everything already.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 am 
n00b
n00b

Oh god, has it been that long since I posted?

I'm a certified PT now, although I'm pretty sure I could have passed the assessments unless I'd killed someone :/ Again, this is where the learning begins. I'm doing some volunteer work at a local gym so that I can get my further education courses for special populations, and reading all I can. I'm also starting volunteer work for a local charity helping the elderly. I have a bit of 'homework' left on the course, but then I am looking into work options. I have a lot more confidence than I did at the beginning, but the more amazing blogs I read, the more I think "Wow, this person has it all figured out. How the hell am I going to match that?"

I'll be quite pleased when all these little case studies are finished and I can focus full-on, but for now I am applying what I have learned to my own training.

I hope you're all having a lovely summer, it is rainhell in the UK!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:45 am 
Novice
Novice

vanillarama wrote:
... it is rainhell in the UK!
Just make sure the sun will shine on the Olympic games. Ah, and good luck to you.