ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triceps Extensions
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Little pressed for time so sorry if this post is rushed...

what are the disadvantages to doing the standing/sitting dumbell extension starting from behind the head and extending until the arms are straight over head as opposed to the tradition lying extensions you see on training logs such as those on elitefts? When i do them, which isnt often--i suppose i feel my triceps get worked on most if not all upper body lift--i always did the former, the dumbell sitting/standing extension. I'd like to reintroduce this, or introduce the lying kind to build my bench.

I hope this query makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best,
Nick

Post subject: Re: Triceps Extensions
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

NickAbe57 wrote:
what are the disadvantages to doing the standing/sitting dumbell extension starting from behind the head and extending until the arms are straight over head as opposed to the tradition lying extensions you see on training logs such as those on elitefts?

Doing triceps dumbbell extensions from a lying position eliminates most of the need for balancing/stabilizing the body. Doing them from a seated position makes balancing more of an issue, doing them while standing makes balancing even more important. If your focus is on working the triceps with an isolation exercise, the lying version makes the most sense.

If your goal is to up your bench via weak point training for the triceps, there are better ways to do it than dumbbell extensions. Many of the serious benchers I've known do lockout training in a power cage with chains. I'll see if I can find a video of how it's done.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:17 pm 

Lying is easier at the beginning of the movement, getting harder as you near extension. Upright is the other way around.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:02 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if you are standing up and raising the dumbells over your head that brings in a bit more of the long head of the triceps which is a very good thing as far as bodybuilding goes, but maybe not so important if you are just trying to get strong.

Personally I do a lot of triceps work that emphasises the long head because it makes a huge difference to how your arm looks.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:23 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

robertscott wrote:
if you are standing up and raising the dumbells over your head that brings in a bit more of the long head of the triceps which is a very good thing as far as bodybuilding goes, but maybe not so important if you are just trying to get strong.

Personally I do a lot of triceps work that emphasises the long head because it makes a huge difference to how your arm looks.

The first Mr. Olympia, Larry Scott (relative of yours? :wink: ) used this exercise to get "a long head that hangs down like a shark's belly."

But back to the original poster, the power cage/chains thingy might be overkill for him. Close grip bench presses, dips and close grip pushups are alternatives