ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
Hi, I'm lifting weights for a while now and I'm eating more. This has led me to a bigger belly, and i want to get rid of it.

I've heard abdominal exercises wont work for this problem. That cardio will do.
If so, which cardio workout is the best so I can get rid of that fat?

Thanks..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 pm 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
derok wrote:
Hi, I'm lifting weights for a while now and I'm eating more. This has led me to a bigger belly, and i want to get rid of it.

I've heard abdominal exercises wont work for this problem. That cardio will do.
If so, which cardio workout is the best so I can get rid of that fat?

Thanks..


Clean up your diet. Avoid eating processed, convenience, fast and junk foods. Foods high in sugars and refined carbs (white flour and white rice) are the worst offenders when it comes to raising insulin levels and increasing fat storage. No exercise program can keep up with your fork.

Also,make sure that you're getting an adequate amount of sleep every night.

Quote:
Sleep loss appears to do two things:

Makes you feel hungry even if you are full. Sleep loss has been shown to affect the secretion of cortisol, a hormone that regulates appetite. As a result, individuals who lose sleep may continue to feel hungry despite adequate food intake.

Increases fat storage. Sleep loss may interfere with the body's ability to metabolize carbohydrates, which leads to high levels of blood sugar. Excess blood sugar promotes the overproduction of insulin, which can lead to the storage of body fat and insulin resistance, a critical step into the development of diabetes.


Good luck with your fitness program and goals

_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
Stephen Johnson wrote:
derok wrote:
Hi, I'm lifting weights for a while now and I'm eating more. This has led me to a bigger belly, and i want to get rid of it.

I've heard abdominal exercises wont work for this problem. That cardio will do.
If so, which cardio workout is the best so I can get rid of that fat?

Thanks..


Clean up your diet. Avoid eating processed, convenience, fast and junk foods. Foods high in sugars and refined carbs (white flour and white rice) are the worst offenders when it comes to raising insulin levels and increasing fat storage. No exercise program can keep up with your fork.

Also,make sure that you're getting an adequate amount of sleep every night.

Quote:
Sleep loss appears to do two things:

Makes you feel hungry even if you are full. Sleep loss has been shown to affect the secretion of cortisol, a hormone that regulates appetite. As a result, individuals who lose sleep may continue to feel hungry despite adequate food intake.

Increases fat storage. Sleep loss may interfere with the body's ability to metabolize carbohydrates, which leads to high levels of blood sugar. Excess blood sugar promotes the overproduction of insulin, which can lead to the storage of body fat and insulin resistance, a critical step into the development of diabetes.


Good luck with your fitness program and goals


Thanks.
But still, once i follow these steps, there must be a kind of exercise which can help me to lose fat in that area.
So, which one do you think is the best for achieving this goal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: Lapland, Finland
derok wrote:
Thanks.
But still, once i follow these steps, there must be a kind of exercise which can help me to lose fat in that area.
So, which one do you think is the best for achieving this goal?

There are three good ones you can count on.

1) Heavy resistance training. Most likely you are doing it now. Do big compound exercises atleast once per workout, and maybe take more higher volume (6-12 reps for 3-5 sets) with lower rest times along as accessorial exercises. Try supersetting too. There are some circuit programs you can do after the main lifts also. But the point is that resistance training will cause you great amount of fat burn afterwards. It will raise your metabolism, the muscle will grab energy and nutrition from where ever it can, and you will lose fat.

2) High intensity interval training (preferrably anaerobic). Yep, it has pretty much the same effect as resistance training, it will elevate you metabolism and burn fat for energy for several hours after working out. The optimal is a 30 minute workout, with about 20 minutes of it work sets. In short, do sprints. Like 15-30sec high intensity, then rest 0,5-2x the worktime, which is anywhere between 7 seconds and one minute depending on your set. Do this for 10 or so times and you got yourself a workout. Hill sprints count as even more effective.

3) If you still got time, there is just any cardio that will burn fat. It's just not that effective and has it's risks of backfiring. A brisk morning walk or jog before breakfast is recommended. Some still like to run these one hour steady-pace jogs, but prioritise the two above first. Aerobic exercising is still good for your heart and lungs.

BUT remember, without a proper nutrition, exercising along won't cut your fat off. By combining proper eating with exercising you'll get what you want. Just be patient. This will not happen over two nights.

_________________
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:03 am 
Offline
Novice
Novice

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:15 am
Posts: 94
derok wrote:
But still, once i follow these steps, there must be a kind of exercise which can help me to lose fat in that area.

Nope. You have to reduce total body fat, and unfortunately the body "decides" which fat to burn mainly for genetic reasons regardless of the exercises. I, too, would like to lose my belly without getting too skinny at other parts of my body (especially the face), but except for surgery there is no way to do that. My body seems to be very fond of my belly and does not give it up easily.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:39 am 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
derok wrote:
Thanks.
But still, once i follow these steps, there must be a kind of exercise which can help me to lose fat in that area.
So, which one do you think is the best for achieving this goal?


Changing one's eating habits is one of the most difficult things a person can do. I speak from personal experience, and I know that I'm not an exception to the rule. But it can be done, hard as it is to do, if you're willing to be honest with yourself

Clean up your diet first, and see what effect that has on your belly. The fact that you're gaining weight despite exercising shows that there's something very wrong about your diet - most likely too many sugars and refined carbs. A well planned diet and a crappy exercise routine will lead to better results than a crappy diet and a well planned exercise routine. As I said before, no exercise program can keep up with your fork.

_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
Dub wrote:
derok wrote:
Thanks.
But still, once i follow these steps, there must be a kind of exercise which can help me to lose fat in that area.
So, which one do you think is the best for achieving this goal?

There are three good ones you can count on.

1) Heavy resistance training. Most likely you are doing it now. Do big compound exercises atleast once per workout, and maybe take more higher volume (6-12 reps for 3-5 sets) with lower rest times along as accessorial exercises. Try supersetting too. There are some circuit programs you can do after the main lifts also. But the point is that resistance training will cause you great amount of fat burn afterwards. It will raise your metabolism, the muscle will grab energy and nutrition from where ever it can, and you will lose fat.

2) High intensity interval training (preferrably anaerobic). Yep, it has pretty much the same effect as resistance training, it will elevate you metabolism and burn fat for energy for several hours after working out. The optimal is a 30 minute workout, with about 20 minutes of it work sets. In short, do sprints. Like 15-30sec high intensity, then rest 0,5-2x the worktime, which is anywhere between 7 seconds and one minute depending on your set. Do this for 10 or so times and you got yourself a workout. Hill sprints count as even more effective.

3) If you still got time, there is just any cardio that will burn fat. It's just not that effective and has it's risks of backfiring. A brisk morning walk or jog before breakfast is recommended. Some still like to run these one hour steady-pace jogs, but prioritise the two above first. Aerobic exercising is still good for your heart and lungs.

BUT remember, without a proper nutrition, exercising along won't cut your fat off. By combining proper eating with exercising you'll get what you want. Just be patient. This will not happen over two nights.


Thanks.
What about stationary bikes like Fit Load?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: Lapland, Finland
derok wrote:
Thanks.
What about stationary bikes like Fit Load?
I don't like bikes. But that's just a personal preference. They are allright in means of losing fat. If you get the resistance/speed to match a good interval routine then no problem. The main point behind all this is sudden bursts of high amounts of energy, and big heart rate variations. That'll get the fat burning.

If looking for cons in cycling...First off, cycling doesn't use as much muscles and motor units as something like running or cross-country skiing does, but the difference is not that huge. It'll most likely burn a little less fat than hill sprints for example, I would like to know if there actually has been any research about the issue.
Secondly, cycling too much might lead to some mobility issues. Like shortened hip flexors. But that takes hell-of a lot of cycling. That's the main reason why Ice hockey players shouldn't be cycling much during off season. Skating can have the same issues, which makes it a horrible combo in frequent exercising.

_________________
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
Dub wrote:
derok wrote:
Thanks.
What about stationary bikes like Fit Load?
I don't like bikes. But that's just a personal preference. They are allright in means of losing fat. If you get the resistance/speed to match a good interval routine then no problem. The main point behind all this is sudden bursts of high amounts of energy, and big heart rate variations. That'll get the fat burning.

If looking for cons in cycling...First off, cycling doesn't use as much muscles and motor units as something like running or cross-country skiing does, but the difference is not that huge. It'll most likely burn a little less fat than hill sprints for example, I would like to know if there actually has been any research about the issue.
Secondly, cycling too much might lead to some mobility issues. Like shortened hip flexors. But that takes hell-of a lot of cycling. That's the main reason why Ice hockey players shouldn't be cycling much during off season. Skating can have the same issues, which makes it a horrible combo in frequent exercising.


Ok.
And what about cardio affecting your muscle mass gains? Truth or myth?
I guess i must control how much cardio i should do.

What about quantity?
For cardio, how many days a week, and how much time per day?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:39 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
You should try plate push-aways.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
Jungledoc wrote:
You should try plate push-aways.


Thanks. Looks like fun. Gonna check that one out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
One rep at the end of each meal.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
Jungledoc wrote:
One rep at the end of each meal.


lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 44
And about quantity?
For cardio, how many days a week, and how much time per day?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6435
Location: Halifax, NS
derok wrote:
And about quantity?
For cardio, how many days a week, and how much time per day?


It's not the volume, it's the intensity that matters. Get your heart rate up to a challenging level for a few short periods, about 3 times a week. Then go for a walk. Most of your results will come from dietary changes.

Do this 3 times/week:
http://www.motleyhealth.com/fitness/sci ... -endurance

Quote:
Whether it is running, cycling, rowing or using a cross trainer, subjects improved best when working at maximum intensity for 1 minute, then resting. These sessions need only be 20 minutes, which is just 10 minutes of high intensity training.


*** make it challenging but don't go full tilt. Start easy and build up over a few weeks. ***

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group