ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 am 

British man crushed to death lifting weights after drinking session

Chris Bailey, 28, decided to go for a workout Saturday after going out drinking with his landlord until 3:00am local time in Brighton, southeastern England, the Brighton Argus reported.

Landlord Oliver Steel, 57, found his body in the garage later that day after he woke up to find the front door open.

He told the newspaper, "I found him on the bench with the bar across his chest. I tried to wake him, but I knew he was dead. I had to try and lift the weight off him, which wasn't easy because it was so heavy. I tried to resuscitate him, but he was gone."

Paramedics were initially called to the home just after noon local time Saturday. His death is being treated as unexplained. An autopsy was underway Monday.

SOURCE LINK: http://www.theargus.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:07 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Genius

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 am 

Should the Brighton authorities like to contact us here on ExRx, I think we could hazard an explanation.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:48 am 

The story's not on the front page anymore so for those looking for it:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9717375. ... ym/?ref=mr

Is this what you would call "death by misadventure" or "death by stupidity"? I wonder if this makes him elegible for a Darwin award. There's no indication that's he's passed on any genetic material so there's a chance.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:20 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

There's a guy at my gym who has a really flat, hooked nose.

Turns out it got that way from dropping the bar on his face when he was benching.

True story.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 pm 

robertscott wrote:
There's a guy at my gym who has a really flat, hooked nose.

Turns out it got that way from dropping the bar on his face when he was benching.

True story.

And he didn't have the sense to pull on his nose after he broke it? Or ask a doctor to do it? It's really easy to put a broken nose back into place, and usually approximate it's original shape pretty well. Of course, if you like the new shape and/or don't care to breath through your nose again, just leave it. Makes me wonder if there are people who break their arm and say "I kind of like this angle, I think I'll leave it this way"?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 am 

he says he went to the doctor and got it fixed. I hate to think how it would've looked otherwise if that's it after it was fixed!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:18 am 

robertscott wrote:
he says he went to the doctor and got it fixed. I hate to think how it would've looked otherwise if that's it after it was fixed!

Long rambling story (you might as well just move on, it's boring):

I was once (only once) the ring-side fight doctor for a Pankration fight. On the bill were two brothers from the host club, the younger in his first fight, the older a very experienced and very successful fighter. They were matched against two fighters who were both from a club in Oregon. The younger brother fought early in the evening. His opponent from Oregon easily got the best of him. Had him in mount and then taunted him, laughing and sissy slapping him. Very unsportsmanlike, if you ask me, or just about anyone else who was there.

When the time came for the older brother to fight, at the bell he strode, almost ran to his opponent's corner. No posturing, no waiting for the guy's first move, no waiting for anything, just strode over and hit the guy once in the face, then turned around and walked back to his corner, leaving the man from Oregon laying in a rapidly-growing pool of his own blood. I jumped up with and was in the ring before the ref could react (he just stood there stunned for several seconds), but neither he nor I really needed to do anything to stop the fight, it was clearly over. I pulled on my latex gloves, and applied pressure to the kid's nose. But the shocking thing was that the nose was not in it's accustomed place, but rather over under the left eye! It was bizarre. I helped him out of the ring, and to a seat against a wall in the back of the gym. I leaned his head against the wall, took hold of his nose and moved it back to where it belonged. I suggested that he go to the local ER, just in case he wanted to get an ENT to refine my repair job.

I never really heard if the guys from Oregon caught on to the connection between their team mate's behavior and the aggression from the big brother or not. I certainly haven't forgotten that nose!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:21 am 

Good story Andy, not boring at all.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:23 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
robertscott wrote:

Long rambling story (you might as well just move on, it's boring):

I was once (only once) the ring-side fight doctor for a Pankration fight. On the bill were two brothers from the host club, the younger in his first fight, the older a very experienced and very successful fighter. They were matched against two fighters who were both from a club in Oregon. The younger brother fought early in the evening. His opponent from Oregon easily got the best of him. Had him in mount and then taunted him, laughing and sissy slapping him. Very unsportsmanlike, if you ask me, or just about anyone else who was there.

When the time came for the older brother to fight, at the bell he strode, almost ran to his opponent's corner. No posturing, no waiting for the guy's first move, no waiting for anything, just strode over and hit the guy once in the face, then turned around and walked back to his corner, leaving the man from Oregon laying in a rapidly-growing pool of his own blood. I jumped up with and was in the ring before the ref could react (he just stood there stunned for several seconds), but neither he nor I really needed to do anything to stop the fight, it was clearly over. I pulled on my latex gloves, and applied pressure to the kid's nose. But the shocking thing was that the nose was not in it's accustomed place, but rather over under the left eye! It was bizarre. I helped him out of the ring, and to a seat against a wall in the back of the gym. I leaned his head against the wall, took hold of his nose and moved it back to where it belonged. I suggested that he go to the local ER, just in case he wanted to get an ENT to refine my repair job.

I never really heard if the guys from Oregon caught on to the connection between their team mate's behavior and the aggression from the big brother or not. I certainly haven't forgotten that nose!

that's gross, there's no way I'd have been touching the manky nose.

I had to google Pankration. I don't think it's for me, I'm too pretty.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jungledoc wrote:

So, I guess Ken and Frank were close back then

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm embarrassed to be Oregonian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 am 

It's OK to be Oregonian. I don't hold it against all of you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 am 

I met a man today who is from Nebraska. I said "I'm from Washington". He then said that he had relatives in... and named about 4 cities in Oregon. I said "I'm from Washington." He stared at me blankly for a few seconds and said, "uh-huh". Neither of us could think of anything else to say.

Ok, ok. I know that doesn't have anything to do with anything, but my vacation is almost over, and I'm bummed. I had to tell someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well, I laughed out loud anyway