ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:57 pm 
n00b
n00b

MikeF wrote:
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I thought I should add something about magnesium supplements.

Studies have shown that amounts of ingestion of 450mg or more in healthy adult males per day can have a laxative affect. I can't remember the figures for other people. :pottytrain5:

as my first post I'd like to dedicate it to this...an adult should take AT LEAST 150 mg of magnesium in high quality supplements or diet a day :)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

care to explain why there big fella?

I'm not disagreeing necessarily but I would like to know your thoughts behind that

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:35 pm 

MikeF wrote:
Studies have shown that amounts of ingestion of 450mg or more in healthy adult males per day can have a laxative affect.

Studies have shown? Really? Surprised? The only study you would need is a study of the label of most of the laxative products on the market!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My study of one has shown that doubling the dose of my magnesium supplement is very effective for relieving constipation. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 pm 
n00b
n00b

robertscott wrote:

I'm not disagreeing necessarily but I would like to know your thoughts behind that

if that is directed towards me, that is because I've seen it's profound effects clinically with both athletes and average Joe Shmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:31 am 

it was directed at you. I was hoping you'd be a bit more scientific with your evidence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:07 am 

Arthur KnoqOut wrote:
robertscott wrote:

if that is directed towards me, that is because I've seen it's profound effects clinically with both athletes and average Joe Shmoes

What effects?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
Arthur KnoqOut wrote:
robertscott wrote:

What effects?

mood and insomnia was one (under stress)

another was bone strength (seemingly)

it's hard to say because if you eat a ton of veggies (like spinach for example) they will be loaded with magnesium so supplementation or transdermal magnesium may not be needed (may is the operative word)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 am 

Arthur KnoqOut wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
What effects?

it's hard to say because if you eat a ton of veggies (like spinach for example) they will be loaded with magnesium so supplementation or transdermal magnesium may not be needed (may is the operative word)

You're not getting it. We are hoping that you will give us something more objective than just a statement of your opinion. Can you give us a couple of references?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The recommended daily amount in the US is 350mg. The lowest of recommended values is 330 (EAR, Estimated Adequate Requirements) and depending on which one you look at you are not to exceed 400 or 420mg. I don't think they give an actual minimum, although RDI/RDA/DRI treat the recommended as a minimum.

I haven't seen any documentation on a typical amount that leads to symptomatic magnesium deficiency. It's usually rare in our culture outside of people on diuretics, or with severe vomiting, athletes, or any other mechanism for losing magnesium.

Maximal magnesium intake is probably a good idea for weight lifters, due to the increased need for ATP, and magnesium loss during exercise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 am 

jennifer wrote:
Healthy persons doesn’t need to take a magnesium supplement. It is required by only those individuals suffering from excessive urinary loss of magnesium, chronic malabsorption, severe diarrhea and steatorrhea, and chronic or severe vomiting.

You would need to define what a "healthy person" is. Perhaps many unhealthy people are that way because they don't get enough magnesium. Since half the North American population is at risk for diabetes, for example, I would suggest that assuming that most people are "Healthy" is a bad assumption.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Atleast for what I've read, most athletes sometimes have deficiencies of magnesium because it's role in the performance and recovery process of muscles. Atleast when it comes to real athletes, high-end competitive ones. But it may still be possible to correct with proper nutrition. Supplementing is easier tho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
Arthur KnoqOut wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
What effects?

You're not getting it. We are hoping that you will give us something more objective than just a statement of your opinion. Can you give us a couple of references?

What's there to "Get"? I answered based on my experienced with it...

I am sure I can dig up the studies but there's a difference in what happens in a lab or in a controlled (and often, ambiguous) environment vs clinical experience, I'm sure you're aware of that :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:58 pm 

If you eat 2 cups of spinach or swiss chard every day, you will likely get enough magnesiun.

OK, show of hands! How many here eat 2 cups a day?

Now of the people that don't come here and don't really pay attention to their diet, how many do you think eat 2 cups/day?

In fairness, pumkin seed and halibut are also good sources and almost everyone eats those every day.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 pm 

One of my favorite lunches is halibut on a bed of swiss chard pumpkin seed dressing.