Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: omentum fat.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi all,

I have reduced 11Kgs to come down from 106 to 94 Kg through a combination of diet, swimming and weights.

My problem is that reduction in belly circumference has been very disproportionate to the weight loss.
I appear to have lost much of the fat from under the skin while still having a protruding belly. I can already see my chest arms and shoulders in good shape but a round lower abdomen.
I have pleatued a little bit with my weight loss as well.

I am 5'10 at 94kilos and the tape around my belly button has only reduced one and a half inch from 44 to 42.5 inches.
Even when I was skinny in high school, I remember I could see my ribs but the belly still stuck out a bit.

So is there something special I could do to get rid of this vesceral fat, or the body will eventually burn it off as well when it is done with fat at other parts of the body. Does any body else has a similar body?

Post subject: Re: omentum fat.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:12 am 

Further fat reductions will reduce your waist simply on it's own. You're still a little heavy for your height. Losing another 5 Kg would likely reduce your belly by a couple more inches and put you in a healthier waist size. You can specifically encourage reduction of visceral fat by throwing out conventional dietary advice. Increase saturated fats and dietary cholesterol. Egg yolks are especially important. At the same time, eliminate sugar and alcohol in your diet as these encourage visceral fat deposits. Vegetable oil is also on your list of foods to avoid.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:31 am 
n00b
n00b

your being nice when you say i am a "little" heavey for my weight aren't you? :)

I like eggs and I almost dont consume sugar at all. No alchohal either.

When you say sugar, do you mean everything sweet, including fruits?

I think I already use good amounts of sturated fat in the form of eggs and red meat.

I had never been the low fat guy. I am taking around 1500 cals a day, may be 200 plus minus. Dont wanna go any lower.

How come vegetable oil is bad? I thought canola was the best after olive oil.

I am not sure, if it is the bread which is a part of almost every meal we have, although most of the time it is whole meal or brown.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

waqas wrote:
I am not sure, if it is the bread which is a part of almost every meal we have, although most of the time it is whole meal or brown.

as a fellow fatty with big belly, yes, this could be a major contributor.

I didn't do the math but 1500 surely seems low enough to continue losing weight at ~205 lbs. So, you'll get there, maybe just with a few tweaks that brother Stu noted.

I think Veg Oil is bad for one thing because most often it it chemically or heat wise extracted, which causes great amounts of free radicals, or toxicity or both. I dont really know the science.

Coconut oil is delicious. Have it with Brocoli.

Keep eating fruit. Esp. berries and avocados

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:06 pm 

Yes, the free radicals are found in rancid oil. Any polyunsaturates will degrade quickly through oxidization and will cause inflammation. You keep fish oil in the fridge but your canolo in the cupboard. That's because the canola is already degraded. The free radicals speed up your aging process. Don't eat any oil that needs chemical extraction.

Your liver is capable of processing limited amounts of sugar, more than enough to deal with the quantities in fruit. Fruit also has anti-oxidants that will help counteract the free radicals. In reasonable amounts, fruit is good.

Bread is a big source of sugar and sugar-like stuff. If bread is a big part of diet, it's probably the biggest problem with your diet. Bread is a major source of high fructose corn syrup, a very insidious and abundant source of sugar in most diets. In fact all processed foods have tons of it and this is the biggest source of liver destroying sugar.

One little known tip is to avoid anything labeled as a health food. This almost always means that it contains sugar, usually to compensate for lack of fat or to improve the taste or texture. In fact, if it has a label with more ingredients than you can count on one hand, or anything you need a dictionary for, you should avoid it.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:31 pm 

By the way, cutting out bread is one of the hardest things you can do, and is the main reason that people fail on paleo style diets, and the reason that most nutritionists would rather encourage whole grains over refined grains instead of, what I consider the preferred route, no grains. You don't need grains for a healthy diet but most people are addicted to grains, wheat mostly, to such a degree that few are able to do without it.

Here's a brief article on the concept.

http://www.gnolls.org/905/mechanisms-of ... -to-bread/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:17 am 
n00b
n00b

This is great advice, especially regarding the so called health foods.

I am from Pakistan and bread is necessary part of every meal. But this bread is made at home. The wheat is is ground without removing anything and we cook the bread fresh at home at every meal, nothing added to it except water. our type of food is almost impossible to eat without bread. I not having bread would mean a different type of food for myself and rest of the family at every meal. But too cumbersome to continue indefinitely.

I have been eating a lot at Subway(thinking it was healthy) and what I just discovered after reading your advice is that their bread is full of hundreds' of wierd things, one of which is fructose corn syrup :sur:
I checked their website. I usaually stay away from all processed foods and so called haelth foods, dont know why I thought subway was ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:23 am 
n00b
n00b

regarding the oils, doenst olive oil have the same problem that it gets rancid quickly, particulary the extra virgin oil which is considered the best for health?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:55 am 
n00b
n00b

another question. If one is to avoid grains, where should one get carbs from? since they are necessary to build muscles through growth harmones I hear.
Plus, without carbs I can not put in a good work out. I do much lesser number of reps and can't do cardio for as long either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:04 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've been wondering the same thing too when it comes to extremeties like long-lasting endurance sports and other very intense exercising and bulking. Maybe the answer lies in supplements. Maltodextrin and pure glucose might be one good way to get the carbs.

For an average person with no need for more than 100-400g of carbs, some high-carb fruits and veggies might just do the trick. Dairy also includes some carbs. Plus, sweet or normal potatoes are not grains, they are a good source as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:17 am 

Wagas, the wheat that was traditionally eaten in Pakistan and India is not the same as being currently used in the Western world, and I expect you are using modern high yield hybrids now too. The nutrition in the modern wheat is not the same as in the past. Your tradition methods of preparing the bread would likely have some protective mechanism but this would have less effect than in the past due to the modern wheat. Subway bread would not be traditionally prepared so wouldn't even have that protection.

Quote:
dont know why I thought subway was ok.

You thought this because the company wants you to think this. You should consider all advertising and marketing as propaganda unless you can prove otherwise.

You can get carbs from root vegetables. carbs are needed in small amounts for thyroid function but it is not needed for the reasons you think you need them for. Fat can be burned as energy and your brain can use ketones for fuel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 am 

Dub wrote:
I've been wondering the same thing too when it comes to extremeties like long-lasting endurance sports and other very intense exercising and bulking. Maybe the answer lies in supplements. Maltodextrin and pure glucose might be one good way to get the carbs.

For an average person with no need for more than 100-400g of carbs, some high-carb fruits and veggies might just do the trick. Dairy also includes some carbs. Plus, sweet or normal potatoes are not grains, they are a good source as well.

I first learned about low carb eating from Mark Twight, (The guy behind Gym Jones and 300 workout). Before becoming a gym owner he was a long duration mountain climber. Fat burning is ideally suited for long distance cardio since you carry your fuel in the form of body fat. Al you have to worry about is water. It's actually middle distance, say, 800m to 10 km where carbs provide an advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

stuward wrote:
I first learned about low carb eating from Mark Twight, (The guy behind Gym Jones and 300 workout). Before becoming a gym owner he was a long duration mountain climber. Fat burning is ideally suited for long distance cardio since you carry your fuel in the form of body fat. Al you have to worry about is water. It's actually middle distance, say, 800m to 10 km where carbs provide an advantage.

I hear that. The problem is that the middle distance can make the difference between the winner and the losers. Going low carb or not having any carbo-loading in some serious and intense competition lasting more than the silly few minutes can really bomb the performance. Or that's atleast what I understand about nutrition. But no doubt the more carbs you got packed in you, the longer you can burn them. The transition to fat burning is also important, and shoul be trained as well. For what I understand, you can improve your ability to convert your fat to energy and thus also improve your performance. But that's completely an another thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:01 pm 

This is cool.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-f ... z1xnqlvaD8