ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:56 pm 

im suffering a foot injury atm, but i want to keep on lifting weights, cause i'm on a diet and i don't want to lose muscle mass. any options to train the legs effectively without stressing the feet? or should i just quit lifting, til i'm fine again? i once worked out a lot of months, when i had a foot injury without training legs. this resulted in less speed at soccer, cause upper body gained muscles and lower body didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:06 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

i don't think you'll be able to train legs. You can still hammer your upper body and core though

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:10 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

adductor / abductor perhaps?

and

extensions and curls

do RDLs stress the foot ?

What part of foot is injured?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 pm 

Reverse Hyper Machine (if you have access to one)
Glute Hamstring Raises

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:55 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I had some broken metatarsal bones in my left foot two years back. I was still able to do leg extensions and leg curls because the pressure was mainly above the ankle. The adductor/abductor machine is quite pointless, but would serve the purpouse too. Some glute activation workouts could work as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:37 am 

thx for the anwers. 3rd to 5th bones between middle foot and toes are injured and need a rest. sorry, i don't know the english description for it ^^. i was also thinking about leg extensions and leg curls. but is this enough leg training? and i think it's impossible to train the calves without pressure on feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:52 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
thx for the anwers. 3rd to 5th bones between middle foot and toes are injured and need a rest. sorry, i don't know the english description for it ^^. i was also thinking about leg extensions and leg curls. but is this enough leg training? and i think it's impossible to train the calves without pressure on feet.

It's most likely the same bones I broke a while back. They are called metatarsal bones, each toe has one.

The leg curls and extensions are the best you can get with injuries like this. You could also try some glute activation variations, where you keep the weight on your knees instead of feet. If you are super-anxious, try some adductor/abduction work also. It's most like not enough to actually progress and get bigger, but these exercises will do the best job they can to maintain the strength and volume of the muscles. It'll have to do, and most likely if you rest properly, you'll be squatting in no time. Don't do anything that hurts!

Yeah, calves are pretty much impossible to train, but the time without exercise is not impossibly long, you shouldn't worry too much. Having you knee broken in example could be far worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:55 am 

thx for the advice. my doctor diagnosed a metatarsalgia and gave me a prescription for insoles. so i hope it'll be fine again soon ;).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 am 

ephs wrote:
metatarsalgia

That, of course, is not a diagnosis, but a way of saying "pain in the foot".

Patient: "Doctor, I have pain in my foot."
Doctor (looking wise and concerned while examining the foot): You have (switching smoothly to Latin), Pain In The Foot.
Patient (trying not to seem ignorant): Oh, I see. Is there anything that can be done for it?
Doctor (switching back to the local language): Yes. Never use your foot again. I will also prescribe custom orthotics.
Patient: Oh, I'm so relieved.
Doctor: That'll be 200 bucks. And 200 more for the orthotics.
Patient (looking relieved and cheered): Thank you, Doctor! It's well worth the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:45 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
ephs wrote:
metatarsalgia

Doctor (looking wise and concerned while examining the foot): You have (switching smoothly to Latin), Pain In The Foot.
Patient (trying not to seem ignorant): Oh, I see. Is there anything that can be done for it?
Doctor (switching back to the local language): Yes. Never use your foot again. I will also prescribe custom orthotics.
Patient (looking relieved and cheered): Thank you, Doctor! It's well worth the price.

yeah i know that metatarsalgia can mean many different types of foot injuries, but i just wanted to point out that no bones are broken. the correct diagnosis was overstressing cause the symptomes first appeared after severeal problems with the ankles. and the insoles are very low priced with my great german health insurance :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:22 am 

ephs wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
ephs wrote:
metatarsalgia

yeah i know that metatarsalgia can mean many different types of foot injuries, but i just wanted to point out that no bones are broken. the correct diagnosis was overstressing cause the symptomes first appeared after severeal problems with the ankles. and the insoles are very low priced with my great german health insurance :-D

And I just wanted to point out that doctors are sometimes full of BS.

Are they just insoles, or are they custom orthotics? Either way, let us know about the results.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:57 am 

i agree. completely custom made insoles. the guy scanned my feet with computer and produces the insoles 100% by himself. so i think i can give it a try. the producer also pointed out which feet problems i have. there are many problems with toes and i also got a flatfoot. he made a much better analysis than the doctor.

and the pain is almost gone, so i can hopefully start with normal leg training next week or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:04 am 

So the guy who made the "insoles" is not a doctor? Not an orthopedist nor a podiatrist?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
So the guy who made the "insoles" is not a doctor? Not an orthopedist nor a podiatrist?

he is an orthopedist for feet. he comes from one of this sick german families who made the same handcraft for many centuries. his name is even "shoemaker". so i think he knows about his work :-D.

sorry, about this misunderstanding, but in german i call every orthopaedic thing for shoes "insole".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 am 

another question:

how would you compare the stress on the feet at soccer, running and squats? if i'm comfortable with running, does it mean i could try to go back to serious leg training? i dont want to destroy my foot again.