ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get rid of belly
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

About the diet:

I'm excluding the white flour.

So, can I use wheat flour products instead as a substitute?
Like, wheat flour bread, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 am 

I'd exclude all grains, particularly wheat. Also, the eating before you go to bed thing isn't a problem. I have dinner about about 22.30 every night, after getting in from work, going to the gym, having a shake, waiting to get hungry and then cooking it's always around this time. If you're eating throughout the day it can be a problem but if you're eating infrequently/calorie deficit you won't put any weight on just from eating late. I eat at 14.30 and 22:00 - 22.30 everyday, large, high protein, moderate/high fat (plenty of veg) meals with a couple of shakes in between (shakes over food so I don't feel too full for exercise).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:56 am 

Most do well to group your calories (especially carbs) into a feeding window, whether it's early in the day, or late, is up to you. This allows you an extended period of carb depletion during which time your body will use body fat for fuel.

Wheat, of any kind, is not needed. Although "whole grain" is widely recommended, in practice there is no such thing. If you didn't soak the grain the night before and then hand grind it just before using it, it's still a refined grain and, IMHO, no place in your diet.

Traditional sour dough bread, or sprouted wheat, especially from ancient types like Einkorn is probably the best you can do but that's not worth the effort. If you're that addicted to wheat, it's probabaly better to avoid it all together.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Nevage wrote:
I'd exclude all grains, particularly wheat. Also, the eating before you go to bed thing isn't a problem. I have dinner about about 22.30 every night, after getting in from work, going to the gym, having a shake, waiting to get hungry and then cooking it's always around this time. If you're eating throughout the day it can be a problem but if you're eating infrequently/calorie deficit you won't put any weight on just from eating late. I eat at 14.30 and 22:00 - 22.30 everyday, large, high protein, moderate/high fat (plenty of veg) meals with a couple of shakes in between (shakes over food so I don't feel too full for exercise).

I see your point.
But what about rest for your body?
The body needs to rest.
If you eat and then go to bed, your body will not rest because it will have to digest the food.

Maybe the best thing to do is to eat like 2 or 3 hours before bed?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:17 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

it doesn't really work like that derok, your body can sleep and digest food without any trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 am 
Novice
Novice

robertscott wrote:
it doesn't really work like that derok, your body can sleep and digest food without any trouble.

Judging by my cat's habits, not only can the body sleep and digest simultaneously, sleep is actually the preferred state when heavy digestion is needed. Makes sense if you think of all the blood available to the digestive system while you sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

josh60 wrote:
robertscott wrote:

Judging by my cat's habits, not only can the body sleep and digest simultaneously, sleep is actually the preferred state when heavy digestion is needed. Makes sense if you think of all the blood available to the digestive system while you sleep.

The fat will still get burned adequately in sleep mode?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:38 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm not sure I can repsond to that without sarcasm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:20 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

derok wrote:

Why not? Your body needs energy constantly, sleep is no exception. When your activity is low, body takes the energy from fat cells. If you have a big meal first, then the body will transport that energy into your muscles, liver, and fat cells (plus other places), insulin will keep sure that most of the nutrients go to repair and build muscle. After digestion and after the insulin has gone a bit down, fat cells become destructible again, and the body can start using fat as fuel. Plus, when you fall asleep, there will be bursts of growth hormones, which will also try to preserve muscle and burn fat.

Even though you fall asleep, it doesn't mean your body stops working.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Dub wrote:
derok wrote:

Why not? Your body needs energy constantly, sleep is no exception. When your activity is low, body takes the energy from fat cells. If you have a big meal first, then the body will transport that energy into your muscles, liver, and fat cells (plus other places), insulin will keep sure that most of the nutrients go to repair and build muscle. After digestion and after the insulin has gone a bit down, fat cells become destructible again, and the body can start using fat as fuel. Plus, when you fall asleep, there will be bursts of growth hormones, which will also try to preserve muscle and burn fat.

Even though you fall asleep, it doesn't mean your body stops working.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:46 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Lets say I exclude these foods from my diet:

- Fast and junk foods.
- White flour
- Wheat flour
- White Rice.

Ok.
But what if I want to eat lets say white rice some day.
Could I eat it maybe like once every two months or something like that? So that it wont affect my diet?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:51 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

some folks say white rice should not be thrown into the same bin as those other items. It's a non-gluten grain. Some say it's a wash which is better/worse brown or white rice. I'd say most agree if you eat it and it works with you, eat it mindfully - timing is important. PUt butter on it, not that campbells mushroomn gravy. Even though it's delicious.

spend energy doing, less energy worrying

avoid seed and veg oils like your life depends on it

you know, even the best of us actually eat pizza and hamburgers too. I'm not among the best, but it's not a 100% rule. I've been guided on here and thru common sense to just make a change at a time form good habits. Good habits push out old ways.

This thread is about ready for a wrap up. I'm waiting for underwear to dry so I can go get some food

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:33 am 

you don't have to cut out white rice, just don't eat it by the ton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If your ever have doubts wether or not you should eat something, i.e. White rice, eat it after your workouts. This way you'll make almost 100% it won't turn out effecting your diet negatively.
Plus, don't get too neurotic and don't change everything too hastely. If you worry and overthink every day what you can and can't eat, it's just a diet. And diets wont last long. We are talking about a permanent lifestyle change here, it's better to make it suit your needs. Make small and slow changes into better rather than crash and burn type of changes.

Plus, it's alright to have cheat days in your diet. Just make sure you can keep the amount of cheat days in control. I have once per week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:19 am 

derok wrote:

What if the fat doesn't get "burned" until the next day? Will you be any worse off?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next