ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 am 
n00b
n00b

I hope I am not late to the party nor would be ignored for being a n00b on this forum (ironically my "status" also said n00blar or the like).

As KPj has all ready stated, cravings DO go away and that is primarily because "cravings" by definition are a mental state not an actual biological "need" per se. I know, semantics but I think the point comes across all the same.

Also everything he/she (not that he or she is a he-she) stated about "bulk cooking" or enjoying veggies is something I grew to love as well. It's so weird because I was overweight all of my teens and when my folks would try to get me to eat greens or veggies I'd reply with "do I look like a cow to eat this GRASS?!" and now I am shopping weekly for 20+ ounces of greens (kale, spinach, and the like) and wanna hug the colours of the rainbow that are veggies...

another point KPj stated was when working with clients/patients it's about their lifestyle and about THEM in general. If someone is one the road all the time you can't expect them to make home cooked meals and what not but you CAN limit what they eat on the road (even if it's a hotdog, get rid of the bun and eat the dog as scary as that sounds to us "health freaks").

generally, i make chop up fruit for my morning hot cereal (oat bran or kamut) and soak my almonds and walnuts overnight so in the morning I simply work out/ meditate/ do some yoga or what have you and boil the hot cereal and throw it on my pre-prepared ingredients while i wash enough greens and veggies for 2 salads through out the day. I pack them with me to either class and/or work and add some protein sources...

it also depends on whether or not i am working out or training (BJJ or kickboxing) later in the day. If so I'll grab a fruit or two for a pre-work out snack along with me as well.

you shouldn't need "will-power" to control your cravings, if you are trying to utilize it then you're doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Arthur KnoqOut wrote:
you shouldn't need "will-power" to control your cravings, if you are trying to utilize it then you're doing it wrong.

go on....

I appreciate your feedback

( I too want to thak kpj again. Noting that the lifestyle is interwoven so much for a fellow like me. - the kind who get anxious too easily and emotionally eats. I notice this week the better I stick to my over all life plan, the better I eat )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:13 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

You only have a limited amount of will-power and when it runs out, you will go with whatever temptation, quick-fix, or whatever that you have been trying to avoid. That's why it's best to go after one improvement at a time. Get each to the point where habit carries you through and you can use your will-power to just reinforce your new habits. Then tackle the next item on your priority list.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:30 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

ah, i like that angle.

Use "will power" towards forming more postive habits, then once more habits are in place, there will be less room for the old ones; and hence, less need for traditonal will power.

this goes well with my discoveries so far along this journey about me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm 

The other aspect of willpower has to do with beliefs. As Henry Ford said, "Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right".

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:08 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

When transitioning to much less carbs, will my body be ok? I mean, I gather the goal is to get it to start using fat for fuel. But how gradual, if at all, do I need to be for safety - whatever that may entail. I understand my own success may depend on cold turkey or less extreme; but from a body (insulin or othre) reason, should I go slow about it?

thanks!

ps: I like chewing gum Sugar Free (sugar alcohol) Any negatives?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:17 pm 

Some find it easiest to go cold turkey. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. You may experience brain fog, low carb flu, or whatever you want to call it while transitioning. Some people don't get it, in some people it lasts a week or 3. Don't start low-carb if you have an important race or an exam coming up. Once you get past that point, most people experience more energy and clearer thought. The other issue is at the other end. Your body develops enzymes and gut flora to deal with the food you're used to. If you switch from high insoluble fibre to high soluble fibre, such as when you cut out grains and substitute veggies, some people experience constipation. Adding back some grains for a short time will usually clear that up.

Sugar alcohol is metabolized in the liver the same as alcohol or fructose. In some people it causes digestive issues, due to fermentation in the gut. The only benefit is that it doesn't promote tooth decay. Actually, all sugar substitutes should be avoided. The use of sugar substitutes has been linked to increases in obesity. It's better is to just avoid anything that tastes sweet than to use substitutes.

http://www.innvista.com/health/nutritio ... lcohol.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

dag blasted
it helps me keep my mouth occupied.

Cutting diet soda could be tough

Gradual change, I may keep the gum and diet soda for now.

Thanks for link.
I got that sorbitol in my gum. Could explin my gas. Although, wife says its always been there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 pm 

I don't think diet soda will harm your weight loss efforts that much.

I guess this is what you would call "bro-science", but competitive bodybuilders can get down to ludicrously low bodyfat levels and still drink diet soft drinks. The carbonation (did I just make that word up? It doesn't look right) helps you feel full when dieting down.

Make of that what you will, but I reckon it means they're probably ok...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:35 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

..as long as I'm careful about what I eat with them. Soda tends to lead to french fries, popcorn, or too much pizza. I like the thought of helping the full feeling, maybe. Sometimes I think I need to get used to not feelnig full. Although, getting enough protein in should take care of the full on its own.

just preped chuck roast meat, carrots, potatos, onion, garlic, and celery to throw into the slow cooker tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 am 

Sugar free mints and chewing are essential for me due to my ketone breath up until lunch time! Mint's are better though because of the havoc the chewing gum creates in my stomach expecting food. I forgot the medical term for it causing bloatedness/gas but some medications can also cause it, chewing gum causes it. Maybe JungleDoc will know it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 am 

It's called "swallowing air".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Arthur KnoqOut wrote:

go on....

I appreciate your feedback

( I too want to thak kpj again. Noting that the lifestyle is interwoven so much for a fellow like me. - the kind who get anxious too easily and emotionally eats. I notice this week the better I stick to my over all life plan, the better I eat )

I know what you mean. again, if you're "craving" something, it's not a bodily thing but a mental/cognitive process. I find in my experience and working with several people that this simple fact of realizing it is enough to steer yourself in the right direction like to reaffirm "I am craving junk food, it is not my body that wants it but my mind for comfort (or whatever have you)"