ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: had some ART today
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I finally got around to getting some Active Release Techniques (ART) done on my shoulder. I've been reading for years about how good it is so when I met a guy at the gym who's certified in it I figured what the hey?

Half an hour concentrating on mostly the rhomboids, traps and infraspinatus/teres minor. It was sore when he did my traps, but it was AGONY when he did my rhomboids. He said that my rhomboids are "crazy" and will need a lot of work. It's just a solid lump of scar tissue apparently. Good times!

When he did my infraspinatus/teres minor (that's the bit where your scapula meets your armpit) was when the "Active" part of it came in. He got me to move my shoulder in weird ways while working on the knots. Was a very strange sensation. Afterwards he gave me a really weird looking stretch for my infraspinatus. Who knew you could stretch your infraspinatus?

Now, 2 hours later, my shoulder feels like it's been hit with a hammer; it's totally dead. I have to wait two days before I do the stretches because it's so inflamed, and I have to wait a few days longer before I'm allowed to train it. I figured I wouldn't be allowed to do any pressing, but I'm not actually allowed to do pull ups either which I was quite surprised about.

So in theory I should feel right as rain by Tuesday. He told me that if it works, I'll feel noticeably better after only one session. If I don't, then it's not working and there's no point in me booking other sessions (it doesn't work in all cases).

I'll report back and let y'all know how it goes

Post subject: Re: had some ART today
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 am 

it has now been 4 days since the ART, and there's definitely an improvement in my shoulder. I am going to bench tonight and see how that works out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

robertscott wrote:
He said that my rhomboids are "crazy" and will need a lot of work. It's just a solid lump of scar tissue apparently. Good times!

I'm thinking about a shoulder routine you suggested. This injury/scar of yours, is it a result of that routine? :)

Here's the routine.
Twice a week in this order: Lat raise, upright row, DB press, face pulls, rear delt fly

For upright row, is it ok to use an EZ bar?
For face pulls, my pulley system doesn't adjust. 1 high pulley and 1 low (I "modify" the angle of the low by sitting on the floor). Which of the 3 angles is best? On ExRx there are a few variations of a cable rear delt rows, do you like them less than face pulls?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 am 

haha my shoulder injury is because when I was just starting out I trained my chest like there was no tomorrow and didn't care about my back or legs, so don't worry.

ya, it's fine to use an EZ bar for upright rows. Just keep the reps higher (12-15) or you might find them bothering your shoulder.

Sitting on the floor and rowing the rope up to about your neck is a great exercise. Really there's no "best" one out of the three, just rotate between them every month

hope that helps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great, thanks!

Do you think I should buy a rope attachment for face pulls or can get away with a short bar? (that would probably be more like rear lat row..)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:57 am 

if you have a cable station then I would definitely get a rope attachment. There's so much you can do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 am 

When you say "rope attachment" it sounds expensive. Got the the hardware store and get some rope!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:56 am 

Actually a rope attachment is only about $25. Of course, you could also use a towel.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 am 

hard to grip on to a towel.

Had some more ART on Monday and it's made my shoulders feel loads better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Already bought one from amazon for 17$. it's very solid. I invested so much in a home gym, that details like this wont make a dent.

Still trying to find that sweet spot angle/form where I feel the posterior delts working with face-pulls. So far it's been awkward. Perhaps because my pulleys are fixed at low and high and not face level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:37 am 

to be honest, I never really feel my posterior delts doing face pulls, it's more of an upper back move, for me anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:36 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

emil3m wrote:
Already bought one from amazon for 17$. it's very solid. I invested so much in a home gym, .

In your apartment?

in that casse, for the stepup in another thread

"for us home gymers, using cement blocks from home depot and some wood cut to fit on top, makes for nice cheap, sturdy, flexible step ups."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
emil3m wrote:
Already bought one from amazon for 17$. it's very solid. I invested so much in a home gym, .

In your apartment?

in that casse, for the stepup in another thread

"for us home gymers, using cement blocks from home depot and some wood cut to fit on top, makes for nice cheap, sturdy, flexible step ups."

Yeah I have a big one bedroom and the gym is more than half my bedroom.

I would need it to be mobile, bricks might not be optimal. How about these stackable aerobic platforms? I think they can take about double my body weight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:36 am 

robertscott wrote:

Actually, it's not. A towel is all I've ever used for FPs when in my home gym. I've only used rope grips at commercial gyms when I'm in the US. I just thread the towel (it's a smallish bath towel) through the large end of a carabiner.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:22 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
robertscott wrote:

Actually, it's not. A towel is all I've ever used for FPs when in my home gym. I've only used rope grips at commercial gyms when I'm in the US. I just thread the towel (it's a smallish bath towel) through the large end of a carabiner.

I imagine the grip is quite solid.

I'm pretty sure I saw FP mentioned around here as delt exercise. Does it depend on elbow height when pulling?