ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi,

Please let me know what to do when you reach your muscle size goals. I am working out in a recreational way focused in getting volume and I had got enough in some body parts, so, What is next? I do not want more volume, but I neither want to lost mass or gain fat, I want to maintain those muscles while I keep growing the others that need more inches.

I had searched a lot without finding any thing about the subject, all is about getting more volume or lost fat.

Kind Regards,

Robert

Last edited by r_o_b_e_r_t on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:41 pm 

You have lots of options. You could just cut back the volume until you are just doing enough to maintain. A little trial and error will let you know. You'll have to adjust your diet to match. Or you could work on new skills, maybe olympic lifts, strength sports, tennis, whatever. It's always good to learn and master new skills. It keeps you young.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:41 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Adjust your diet so that you wont gain weight or lose it. Simple as that. Your workout routine doesn't have to change at all. If you eat heps of food, you'll gain, if you eat less foods, you will lose. You just have to find the balance and test it.

Quote:
I want to maintain those muscles while I keep growing the others that need more inches.

Add extra effort to those muscles you want to work on. Do one extra exercise in the beginning or as a finisher, or even two. If you still keep other muscles active and work them atleast once a week, they'll most likely maintain, and can increase strenght too. No time for extra effort? Superset or take one or two sets from other exercises.

But like Stu said, it's To try something different too, if you have already met your recent goals. Pick new goals. They don't have to be around gaining or losing weight. Aim for results or something completely different.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:11 am 

Why don't you want to be stonger?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:56 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

r_o_b_e_r_t wrote:
I am working out in a recreational way focused in getting volume and I had got enough in some body parts

Just curious - which body parts are you satisfied with size-wise?

Some lifters would be OK with a roadkill back and spindly legs if they had 20-inch arms.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 am 

I didn't think that was possible? There's always a weakness to work on. I know I could be working on my calves my whole life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 pm 
n00b
n00b

Stephen Johnson wrote:
r_o_b_e_r_t wrote:
I am working out in a recreational way focused in getting volume and I had got enough in some body parts

Just curious - which body parts are you satisfied with size-wise?

Some lifters would be OK with a roadkill back and spindly legs if they had 20-inch arms.

I am happy with neck, chest, abs and legs. I do not pretend to be Mr Anything. I pursue something close, but not in a obsessive way, to the Grecian ideal, except in the waist that I thing it must be larger for healthy and even practical reasons. Until now, I am able to get a nice Italian suit without having to rebuild it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi Robert,

If you are satisfied with your body shape then do running and eat healthy. This will maintain your body for as same for long time. But you also need to avoid unhealthy food for fit body.