ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bob's back rehab log
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

shoulder's hurt so just trained back

weighted chins (neutral grip)

BW x 5
+2.5k x 5
+5k x 5
+7.5k x 5
+10k x 5
+12.5k x 5
+15k x 5

happy enough about my performance on these seeing as it equals my previous best and I haven't done them in like a year.

Rows

25k x 12
30k x 10
34k x 8
36k x 6
40k x 6

40k for 6 is a PR. My strength has now surpassed what it was when I was rowing with poor form, so now not only is my technique better, but I'm stronger.

Rear Delt Fly

5k x 30
7.5k x 25
5k x 30

I'll get those 7.5k bells for 30 next time!

Zottman Curls

10k x 10
12.5k x 10
10k x 10

Really like this exercise.

And that's it. Pretty good workout considering I couldn't do any pressing. Happy with my performance on every lift. Going to train back again on Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:14 pm 

Legs

Lying Leg Curls

3 x 8
4 x 8
5 x 8
6 x 8
7 x 8

decided to push the boat out a bit tonight, heavy business! I'll try for sets of 10 next time.

DBSS

10k x 12
15k x 12
20k x 12
25k x 12

after the set on the 10k bells my right hip flexor was AGONY. Do not know what the fv(k happened but I was so angry about it I kept going, despite the pain and got the 25k bells for 12 which is a PR! The anger gave me strength. Got to do it again next week though without the anger.

Single Leg Press

55lbs x 25
70lbs x 25
85lbs x 25

hard, but I persevered.

RDLs

60k x 20 x 2

I'll go a little heavier next week.

Calf Press/Jacknives

141k x 10/12
147k x 8/12
141k x 8/12

the 147k for 8 is a PR. No improvement on the jacknives.

Seated Calf Press

20k x 12
30k x 12
40k x 12

Had a bit of time left at the end of the workout so I did these. Maybe I'll actually add some size to my calves. Not bloody likely.

And we're done. Surprised at how strong I was tonight. It's been a good week of strength so far this week, can't really explain it; if anything I expected to be a little weaker on account of my eating less carbs but for some reason I've been a beast. Happy days. I'm a little worried about the hip flexor issue I was having during the DBSS, but I'll roll it every night and hopefully that'll fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 am 

trained my back last night but my internet was playing up so couldn't log it. I'll try and remember what I did.

Weighted Chins (Neutral Grip)

Bw x 3
BW + 5k x 3
BW + 10k x 3
BW + 15k x 3
BW + 20k x 3
BW + 25k x 3

That's a PR by like 10k! Not sure how I managed it. I think I'm definitely going to include more weighted chins from now on. Tony Gentilcore believes you should be able to rep your best bench weight on weighted chins for 3 reps, so I'm going to work towards that. That's BW + 30k for me, so I think it's do-able.

Dumbell Rows

25k x 10
30k x 10
34k x 8
36k x 8
40k x 8

the 40 for 8 is a PR. My strength on rows "KPj" style has now exceeded what it was before I changed my form. Happy days.

SALP

5 x 12
6 x 10
5 x 12

volume for the lats

Rear Delt Flyes

7.5k x 20
10k x 15
7.5k x 20

more reps next time

Prone Trap Raise

5k x 12
7.5k x 10
5k x 12

haven't done these for a good few years. Meh, thought it might make my shoulder a bit happier...

Zottman Curls

10k x 10
12.5k x 10
10k x 10

pump up dey guns

Then I did a load of shoulder health stuff: pull aparts, external rotations, that kind of thing.

And we're done. It's been a really good week of working out this week, despite not training my chest at all. I've hit PRs on every one of my "big" lifts so I'm happy. I'm particularly proud of my chinning performance, and reckon by the end of the year I could get up to BW + 40k!

I'm going for some ART later so I'll report back as to how that went.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 pm 

upper body

Bench 5/3/1

77.5k x 5
87.5k x 5
97.5k x 7

shoulder was really hurting

dumbell bench/row

25k x 10
30k x 10
32k x 10
34k x 10
36k x 10 (row only)

this was sore too

Scott Extension/Zottman Curls

7 x 12/10k x 10
8 x 12/12.5k x 10
9 x 12/10k x 10

Scott Extensions are cool

Band External Rotations to finish

Well, shoulder was REALLY sore today and I've had enough. No more benching for me ever again. It's not a decision I've taken lightly. I'm going to take the next month off and just do a dumbell press twice a week. Flat one day, incline the next. I'm sick of being in pain all the damn time.

I'm really not very happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 pm 

sore shoulder so, you guessed it, just trained back.

Weighted Chins

BW x 3
BW+5k x 3
BW+10k x 3
BW+15k x 3
BW+20k x 3
BW+25k x 3

equals last week, was actually a bit harder this time. Sets of 5 next week.

Dumbell Rows

30k x 8
32k x 8
34k x 8
36k x 8
40k x 6

trying to step it up a gear on the rows. My gym's dumbells go up to 44k, I figure I can easily max those out by the end of the year (annoyingly there's no 38k bell).

Face Pulls

10 x 12
11 x 12
12 x 12

think the 12th plate for ten is a PR. During sets of these I messed around with the cable machine trying to find decent angles to train around my elbow issues. Think I've found a way of really hitting the long head of my triceps without bothering my elbows so I'll give it a bash properly next week.

Rear Delt Flyes/Zottman Curls

7.5k x 20/10k x 10
10k x 15/12.5k x 10
7.5k x 20/10k x 10

had a bit of a breakthrough with the rear delt flyes. I find if I limit the ROM a bit I really feel the burn in my rear delts, as opposed to my entire upper back. I am going to do them like that from now on. Zottman curls are starting to feel a bit less awkward, it's a weird exercise at first.

Band External Rotations/Prone Internal Rotations

few sets of both of these at the end of the workout. Will do these every upper body workout from now on, no excuses. The prone internal rotations are a weird exercise I got from an old Eric Cressey article. A physio friend of mine told me I should strengthen my subscapularis, and the prone internal rotations do just that, so we'll see if that helps.

Not a bad workout I guess. This is going to be pretty much the exact workout I do from now on except I'll be supersetting the rows with sets of dumbell bench. That's a hefty ratio of 4:1 push to pull. Two months of that and my shoulder'll be strong like bull. Not to mention I'm going to build a decent amount of muscle on my back, which is obviously a good thing too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:15 pm 

Upper

NG Chins

BW x 5
BW + 5k x 5
BW + 10k x 5
BW + 15k x 5
BW + 20k x 5

wasn't feeling it tonight, and wasn't even going to try for the 5 at 20k, but a group of girls came and stood next to the chin up bar which spurned me on. Sets of 3 next time.

Dumbell Bench/Rows

30k x 10/same
32k x 10/same
34k x 10/same
36k x 10/same
30k x 10/40k x 8

the 40k x 8 on the rows is a PR.

Straight Arm Pulldowns

5 x 12
6 x 10
5 x 12

would've supersetted this with face pulls but someone was using the rope.

Face Pulls

10 x 10
11 x 10
12 x 10

struggled with these after those rows.

Rear Delt Fly

7.5k x 20
10k x 20
7.5k x 20

the 10k for 20 is a PR. Shortening the ROM ever so slightly really makes you feel these in your rear delts. Very nice.

Zottman Curls/Band External Rotations

10k x 8
12.5k x 8
10k x 8

not much to report here. I would normally be doing triceps exercises here too but my elbow felt a little weird today.

Hammer Curls/Band Prone Internal Rotations

10k x 8/AMRAP
10k x 8/AMRAP
then one last set of the BPIR

had a bit of a eureka moment with the prone internal rotations: doing them with a band makes for a much stronger contraction in the subscapularis (you feel it up in your armpit). I am hoping this exercise will be the missing piece of my shoulder health puzzle.

And there we go. I am doing SO MUCH upper back work to try and fix my shoulder. Time will tell...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm 

Legs

Lying Leg Curls

4 x 10
5 x 10
6 x 10
7 x 10

sets of 12, same weight next time.

Front Squats (all done with slight pause on a box)

40k x 10
50k x 8
55k x 6
50k x 8
40k x 10

I am weak as $h1t on these but considering I haven't been able to squat with any consistency in about a decade it's not really too surprising. Also, I've never done them with pre-exhausted hamstrings before... Found a box in my gym that is at pretty much the perfect depth for me; just below parallel but not so low as to cause butt-wink. My back felt great during sets of these so I think I may have finally found a squat I can do consistently and long-term. Time will tell... I pause on the box for a second or two.

Single Leg Press

55lbs x 25
70lbs x 25
85lbs x 25

this is unbelievably hard after the squats. I felt like I was going to black out during every set. Really finishes off your quads.

RDLs

60k x 20 x 2

I really need to up the weight on this but it knackers me so much! It seems to get harder to do this same weight as I load up the prior exercises heavier. I'll go up to 70k for the second set next time no matter what.

Calf Press/Jacknives

141k x 8/12
147k x 8/12
141k x 8/12

form was pretty sloppy on the calf press. I'll go a bit lighter, higher reps next time and just go back and forth between light and heavy every week from now on. Should be good for sets of 15 on the jacknives next time.

done. I really like this workout, and plan to do it for a while. Hopefully my back won't be sore tomorrow. If it's not, I'll take it as a sign I can keep doing those front squats.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm 

upper body today, dicked around on machines for my chest and did about a zillion reps for back using drop sets, rest-pause, all that sort of stuff.

Nothing worth logging really. It seems that I have to drop pressing COMPLETELY for the time being. Pain in the arse. I'll just train the $h1t out of my legs and back for the next 6 weeks and see where that gets me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 am 

just ordered myself a 6 foot dowel to do 50 reps of dislocates every night for the next few months and see how that works out.

I'm attacking shoulder pain with everything I've got!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:59 pm 

legs

Lying Leg Curls

4 x 12
5 x 12
6 x 12
7 x 12

heavier on this next time, sets of 8.

Box Front Squats

40k x 10
50k x 8
55k x 6
40k x 10

back tweaked ever so slightly on the 50k, I know why though: didn't push my hips back properly. I have to really keep to a rhythm. It goes - hips back, down, pause, up, repeat. If I don't really push my hips back my back'll tweak. The tweak was only minor and didn't affect the rest of the workout so I think I'll be fine tomorrow.

Single Leg Press

70lbs x 25
85lbs x 25
70lbs x 25

burns like hellfire but getting a little bit stronger every time.

RDL

60k x 20
70k x 20

will equal this next time then beat it next week

Calf Press/Jacknives

127k x 12/15
134k x 10/15
127k x 12/15

3 sets of 15 on the jacknives is a PR. Going to equal that next time then I'm going to have to think of a more hardcore exercise. I think pikes.

Pallof Press

3 x 20
4 x 20
5 x 20

going to do these at the end of the workout from now on. Core can never be too strong.

And we're done. Reasonably happy with the workout although I'm a little annoyed at myself for letting my back tweak on the squats. Shan't happen again.

Going to train back on friday then legs again on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:41 am 

my dowel arrived today. I have to use an embarrassingly wide grip for the dislocates. Further embarrassment came when I tried to do 50 reps of dislocates. Got 15 reps then had to stop because the burning in my mid/lower traps was so severe.

Tim actually told me to do this years ago but I didn't listen. I miss that guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:15 pm 

Legs

Box Front Squat

30k x 10
40k x 8
50k x 6
60k x 4
30k x 10

60k for 4 is, I suppose, a PR. Bit of a hollow victory though. I reckon though I can probably just add a couple of kg every week and progress that way. I mean, I'm not so much building strength as regaining it, so hopefully it should come fast. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

GHR

3 x 5

oh my this was hard, haven't done these in ages which is probably why.

Leg Extension/Curl Superset

3 x 20

can't remember the weights, just did this for a bit of high rep, pump work

Calves/Jacknives

127k x 12/15
134k x 10/15
127k x 12/15

getting pretty good at jacknives. Can't decide if I am going to try for sets of 20 or switch to a harder exercise.

Seat Calves/Pallof Holds

20k x 15/3 x 20
30k x 15/4 x 20
20k x 15/5 x 20

will go heavier on both of these next time.

So it was a slightly different leg workout tonight, will do my regular one next time. Just fancied a change. I'm so embarrassed about how weak I am on the front squats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:02 pm 

Back

Weighted Chins

BW x 5
+5k x 3
+10k x 3
+15k x 3
+20k x 3
+25k x 3

this felt a lot stronger than it has lately. Still don't think I'm going to up the weight quite yet. Will equal it again next week then try for heavier the week after.

Cable Rope Row to Neck (stack loaded)

3 x 8 x 3

wasn't sure what to call this exercise. It's basically just a cable row using a triceps rope, and you pull to your neck. I get the strongest contraction between my shoulder blades that I've ever had from an exercise when doing these, so I'm definitely going to keep them in the routine for a while.

SALP/Row superset

8 x 10
9 x 12
10 x 10

this is a cool little superset. You use a triceps rope and a cable set about chest height. Bend over and do a set of straight arm pulldowns, and once you've done a set of those you stand up straight and do a set of rows. Really gets the lats burning.

Standing 1 arm cable row

8 x 10
9 x 10
10 x 10

just more upper back volume

Rear Delt Fly

7.5k x 20
10k x 20
7.5k x 20

sets of 25 next time

Cable Concentration Curls

4 x 8
5 x 8
4 x 8

pumping up the biceps

external rotations/prone internal rotations

loads x a zillion

shoulder health stuff. Changed the way I do the prone internal rotations to the way the Diesel Crew recommend. It's probably no surprise that the Diesel Crew one is more hardcore.

And that was it. It's just occurred to me that pretty much my entire workout was done with cables. Interesting. Was an alright workout today, I'm not getting too much in the way of shoulder pain but I've not tried to press anything so I dunno. Still not going to press til August.

will train legs again Monday

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am 

So thanks to a particularly bad shoulder flare up this week, I'm not doing any training.

Business as usual next week, although the gym's closed for a stupid bank holiday on Monday.

One thing worth mentioning though is that after getting some ART on Monday, my shoulder actually feels loads better. So much so that I'm going to start doing press-ups on my upper body days. Not only will this provide some much needed training stimulus for my chest, it'll strengthen my serratus which I desperately need. The serratus is an antagonist for the rhomboids, and seeing as how my rhomboids are "crazy" (the exact words of my physio), strengthening it should help my shoulder health.

So my upper routine will look something like this now

Weighted chins/push ups - 5 sets
rows/push ups - 5 sets
then upper back accessory stuff superset with scap push ups
biceps accessory stuff superset with dumbell protractions
internal/external rotation stuff

how's that for an upper back/serratus strengthening program? Spicy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 am 

legs, bit of a waste of time

Box Front Squats

30k x 10
40k x 8
50k x 8
60k x 6
30k x 20

well the 60 for 6 is a PR. Wahoo. Still reckon I can get 100k by the end of the year. The eagle-eyed among you will notice the "widowmaker" to finish. Thought I was going to die.

GHR

3 x 5

and that was me done. Consuming nothing but rum for the entire weekend, plus eating no carbs yesterday (not sure why I did that) meant my energy levels took a savage dive halfway through the squats. Quite surprised I hit the 60 for 6, and I felt that maybe I could've got another rep or two but I'll save that for next time. So the squats were a saving grace but otherwise the workout wasn't so good. Meh, I'll be stronger later in the week once I've actually had something to eat.

Training upper body on Thursday, basically just back and push ups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next