ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ephs wrote:
now, i'm focusing on loosing fat and stretching. when my bodyfat is around 10-12%, then i will start working heavy on legs. lets see if it works. pre season starts in 2 weeks.

that's kinda a weird way to do it, you can do both at once pretty easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:24 am 

robertscott wrote:
ephs wrote:
now, i'm focusing on loosing fat and stretching. when my bodyfat is around 10-12%, then i will start working heavy on legs. lets see if it works. pre season starts in 2 weeks.

yes, but i'm still injured at the right foot and want to be on the safe side to get fit til pre season starts :). and gaining muscle + losing fat at the same time is dificult for me. but i already got some advice in another thread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:26 am 

ephs wrote:
but why do all the boxers train rope skipping all the time?

Well, they need to be on their toes for the whole match because it helps to reduce the power of the punch. You don't receive punches, you just need to fall down when somebody is near you Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:13 am 

ephs wrote:
robertscott wrote:
ephs wrote:

yes, but i'm still injured at the right foot and want to be on the safe side to get fit til pre season starts :). and gaining muscle + losing fat at the same time is dificult for me. but i already got some advice in another thread

if you're injured then fair enough. Just remember though that losing fat is all diet, and eating properly can ony be a good thing regarding your strength goals

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 am 

robertscott wrote:
if you're injured then fair enough. Just remember though that losing fat is all diet, and eating properly can ony be a good thing regarding your strength goals

yeah, i just found out in a time when i was injured fot half a year, i was gaining muscle mass on the upper body, but i couldn't workout the lower body. that resulted in less speed on the pitch. or maybe the injury is the main factor of the speed i lost, i rly dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:08 pm 

Stretching what? Why?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:36 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Stretching what? Why?

i got a very big hamstring inflexibility. and i think that this causes some occasional pain in lower back and knees. how long does it take to reach a good flexibility? i'm doing 4x3 sets for every leg now 5 times a week. is this okay?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
Stretching what? Why?

i got a very big hamstring inflexibility. and i think that this causes some occasional pain in lower back and knees. how long does it take to reach a good flexibility? i'm doing 4x3 sets for every leg now 5 times a week. is this okay?

Static stretching has a controversial reputation these days. It's questionable if it actually is the best method to correct mobility issues.

I'd recommend you to keep stretching, but also include the following:
- SMR, aka soft-tissue work. Also a bit unresearched method, but many claim it works (Myself included). Take a tennis ball, lacrosse ball, foam roller, a pipe, rolling pin...Pretty much just something you can roll you hamstring into. Go back and forth for 30s-60s or tens of reps. Put object to floor, apply pressure and roll the hamstrings from knee to hip or other way round. You could work on glutes as well, since they also contribute to hip extension. And the bottom of your foot. Rolling the bottom of your foot usually gives you a small increase in hamstring flexibility due to funny physiotherapical things.
- Dynamic stretches and Full-ROM exercises. Get the full range of motion with your hamstrings for short movements. There are several hamstring stretches and exercises. That of course given that your leg is alright with this. Feel free to use as much weight as possible on clean, full range of motion. Dynamic stretches don't obviously need any load.
- Read the article Robert posted on this forum today. It's from Eric Cressey, he knows stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:59 am 

Dub wrote:
Static stretching has a controversial reputation these days. It's questionable if it actually is the best method to correct mobility issues.

I'd recommend you to keep stretching, but also include the following:
- SMR, aka soft-tissue work. Also a bit unresearched method, but many claim it works (Myself included). Take a tennis ball, lacrosse ball, foam roller, a pipe, rolling pin...Pretty much just something you can roll you hamstring into. Go back and forth for 30s-60s or tens of reps. Put object to floor, apply pressure and roll the hamstrings from knee to hip or other way round. You could work on glutes as well, since they also contribute to hip extension. And the bottom of your foot. Rolling the bottom of your foot usually gives you a small increase in hamstring flexibility due to funny physiotherapical things.
- Dynamic stretches and Full-ROM exercises. Get the full range of motion with your hamstrings for short movements. There are several hamstring stretches and exercises. That of course given that your leg is alright with this. Feel free to use as much weight as possible on clean, full range of motion. Dynamic stretches don't obviously need any load.
- Read the article Robert posted on this forum today. It's from Eric Cressey, he knows stuff.

big thx, i will try this!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 am 

Also, keep in mind that often people think that their hamstrings are tight, when really the problem is tight quads and anterior pelvic tilt, pulling the hammies into a tight position. So often it's really the quads that need work, and not the hammies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:08 am 
former lurker

You have to use nut rations and make your self mentally strong , also eat such a things having vitamins in large quantity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:10 am 

stephanwally wrote:
You have to use nut rations and make your self mentally strong , also eat such a things having vitamins in large quantity

to become faster? :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 am 

ephs wrote:
stephanwally wrote:

to become faster? :grin:

To become wiser.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Step 1 ) put on shoes you can run in

step 2) find track

step 3) Run 100 meters as fast as you can 5 times with 30 to 60 seconds rest in between

step 4) run 50 meters as fast as you can 5 times with 30 second rest

step 5) count out a 10 meter by 10 meter square. start at bottom right of square. Sprint to top right, side step to top left, back step to bottom left, side step to bottom right. Do this 20 times.

I have this drilled into my head from when I used to go to sleepaway soccer camp for about 5 years in a row every summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Immortal2 wrote:
Step 1 ) put on shoes you can run in

step 2) find track

step 3) Run 100 meters as fast as you can 5 times with 30 to 60 seconds rest in between

step 4) run 50 meters as fast as you can 5 times with 30 second rest

step 5) count out a 10 meter by 10 meter square. start at bottom right of square. Sprint to top right, side step to top left, back step to bottom left, side step to bottom right. Do this 20 times.

I have this drilled into my head from when I used to go to sleepaway soccer camp for about 5 years in a row every summer.

Except that doesn't train actual maximal speed effort. That trains more of the lactic energy system and speed endurance.