ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm 

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-mu ... or-workout

is this crap or is this serious? i know a guy who worked as a landscape gardener and also gained much muslce only with his work. maybe same reasoning as theory of signalling?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think the logic and reasoning behind it is silly ("Signalling" and "adaptation"). It has no physiological sense. But it's a method as well. Maybe it will get you results, but I hardly doubt it's better than the single bursts. The problem lies behind the energy systems.
As a circuit it's pretty crap. No leg work and weird choises for muscle workouts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:40 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Chad Waterbury has written about similar techniques, like doing 100 reps of an exercise throughout the day to target weak bodyparts.

If you think you'll get a body like Tom Hardy's got from doing a circuit of push ups and bridges, you're wasting your time. If you want the real Tom Hardy workout:

1. Hire expensive personal trainer
2. Hire dietician to prepare all your meals
3. Do nothing for a few months except training twice a day and eating
4. Take steroids (optional)

that's what a real celebrity workout looks like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm 

yeah, i know that most of this workouts are fake to get a promotion for the people or a movie. but i was just wondering if there is any scientific background of spreading such information like "signalling". the workout routine from the link is of course ridiculous, but maybe this method could get results with a more serious workout routine.

if you compare the effort in a gym to people who work very hard all the day, e.g. soldiers or builders. they don't have rest days, only the weekend, but def. gain muscles cause of their work. maybe its because of the adaption thing. if a person carries stones for 8h per day, then the result will be a bigger biceps after some months or so. so does the muscles then only grow at the rest days (sat/sun) or also at the working days. that would then stand against the thesis that you need rest days to build muscles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:08 pm 

your body will adapt to pretty much anything, so if you were to change from an office job to a manual labour job, then yeah you'd build a bit of muscle. It won't last forever, if it did then the Mr Olympia stage would be packed from left to right with bricklayers, but it'll certainly do something.

if you are interested in this type of training, then look up "HFT" by Chad Waterbury

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:06 pm 

thx, i will research it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:32 pm 

Exercise is really just hacking evolution. Organisms adapt to imposed demands (or die). If you want a specific adaptation, impose a specific demand. Tons of coaches have used similar programming to achieve results; Chad Waterbury has already been mentioned, Dan John has his 40 day program, physiotherapists will try to get you to perform corrective routines several times a day. "Signalling" isn't really a thing, and it isn't really a new idea either. Rather than focus on using it in an attempt to bulk up, I'd recommend using it as a means to correct imbalances or weaknesses.