ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Cooking
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:20 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: New York, USA
I've come to the conclusion that the easiest way to:

1) Know what diet works best for me
2) Stick to that diet
3) Get enough food on that diet

...is to be able to cook. For me really its not the "easiest way" really but an absolute necessity.

And I don't mean the typical "Dad's famous chili" a couple of times a month plus burgers for an encore. I mean all-out breakfast, lunch and dinner, with plenty of meals-ready-for-emergency in the fridge and 2-3 lunches/day 7 days/week. Plus feeding the entire family, and hitting the middle ground between telling the kids, "You'll eat gruel and like it!" and giving them whatever they want.

Anybody else do much cooking?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:18 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
I love cooking, and cook all my meals from scratch. MUCH easier to hit your macros that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:20 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
sounds like quite an undertaking ken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: New York, USA
robertscott wrote:
I love cooking, and cook all my meals from scratch. MUCH easier to hit your macros that way.


It was quite a surprise to realize I loved cooking, and I started to get particular about knives, pans, etc.

W/respect to keeping the kids happy, variety in sauces seems to do the trick (so far). You can serve them the exact same rice, vegetables and fish but pour a "chinese sauce" onto it and you've got a completely new meal. Switch out the fish for ground beef and change a couple of the vegetables and it's a new meal again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:06 am 
Offline
former lurker

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am
Posts: 2
Location: Australia
These are good parts of plan that you have mention , set goal also add in this plan this is superb idea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Just don't admit on this forum to baking. Anything. You'll have your manhood called into question.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
let me know if you can keep this up for more than a month.

Bobby Flays Green Pork chili is ridicoulously delicious


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:23 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 196
KenDowns wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that the easiest way to:

1) Know what diet works best for me
2) Stick to that diet
3) Get enough food on that diet

...is to be able to cook. For me really its not the "easiest way" really but an absolute necessity.

And I don't mean the typical "Dad's famous chili" a couple of times a month plus burgers for an encore. I mean all-out breakfast, lunch and dinner, with plenty of meals-ready-for-emergency in the fridge and 2-3 lunches/day 7 days/week. Plus feeding the entire family, and hitting the middle ground between telling the kids, "You'll eat gruel and like it!" and giving them whatever they want.

Anybody else do much cooking?


This is purely semantics, but I found it helpful to follow the advice of looking at it as lifestyle, rather than a diet. I'm sure that this is what you meant, but it still helps to visualize that.

Food intake makeover has been the centerpiece of the last two months and I'm having really nice results (about twice faster than expected). Cooking, in turn, has been the centerpiece of food intake.

I'm not trying to be captain obvious. But it's amazing how without reinventing the wheel, you can achieve really good results if you actually believe in a new lifestyle.

Stuward phrased it really well: <memory citation> "if it has a label, it is most likely not food. Food lives in the produce isle." Obviously it has to be applied reasonably. He also said, "if it has a label make sure you understand how it's made. You squeeze olives to make olive oil; for canola oil, you need a chemistry degree"

As you can see, people on this site played their own role. Other than clinical studies I pretty much don't read anything else for the sake of efficient time utilization.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: New York, USA
emil3m wrote:
This is purely semantics, but I found it helpful to follow the advice of looking at it as lifestyle, rather than a diet. I'm sure that this is what you meant, but it still helps to visualize that.


I like that.

emil3m wrote:
Food intake makeover has been the centerpiece of the last two months and I'm having really nice results (about twice faster than expected). Cooking, in turn, has been the centerpiece of food intake.


Yeah, that was basically my point. For me, controlling what I eat begins with being able to cook. Turns out cooking is amazing good fun as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 am 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 196
KenDowns wrote:
Turns out cooking is amazing good fun as well.


The clean up is annoying! Especially because I cook for one. But it's a necessary evil.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1370
Location: New York, USA
emil3m wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
Turns out cooking is amazing good fun as well.


The clean up is annoying! Especially because I cook for one. But it's a necessary evil.


I keep "King of the Hill" playing, and I find it therapeutic :smile:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:44 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
techno for me, gets me cooking fast!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 am 
Offline
n00b
n00b

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:21 am
Posts: 4
I started to take interest in cooking for myself when I lose my health little bit eating unhealthy bizarre foods. Now I try to make my own food. Although I am not a pure vegetarian but I do like vegetables more. So I purchase fresh vegetables daily and make a mix boiled recipe that is very good for fitness and health.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:54 am 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 196
John222 wrote:
I purchase fresh vegetables daily and make a mix boiled recipe that is very good for fitness and health.


Nutrients in veggies are water soluble. Boiling veggies has a detrimental effect unless you consume the entire pot of water :)
Your best bet is dry-heat cooking or a steamer. Your best, BEST bet is to make a homemade dressing (based largely on olive oil-vinegar-lemon) and eat fresh.


You're not big on meat, but do you eat fish?

_________________
Image


Last edited by emil3m on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cooking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:04 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Raw vegetables taste better anyway.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group