Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi,

Had you tried Rest-Pause Training?
I use High Intensity Training with superb results and I want to test Rest-Pause techniques, but I had not found a single people who makes it properly.
After reading a lot, Rest-Pause Training is:

Rest Pause uses very heavy resistance and is performed with multiple reps. Select a poundage that's close to your one rep maximum for the exercise you're about to perform. After completing one rep, rack the weight and count to 10. After this 10-second rest, pick the weight up again for another rep. Perform as many repetitions as possible (usually 5-6) for one set.

Natural Mr. Olympia
John Hansen

However, none of the videos in YouTube labeled as it looks remotely close to the definition.
Please let me know your experience, specially with arms (Forearns, upper arms and shoulders).
Is it only for big muscles? ie. biceps instead of wrist flexors or deltoid anterior (Press) but not deltoid posterior (Rear row).
Can you provide a few links with nice videos/images?

Kind Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Some people also call a technique like that a cluster set. The point is to eventually overload and totally fatique the muscle. It's quite hard on the nervous system so maybe something like arm work is more proper if you want to do this kind of stuff often. There actually was an article on T-Nation that wanted to emphasize a similar technique on overhead presses and shoulder work. Only in that, it gave you 10-20 minutes of time to perform as many singles as you can. Resting a minimun of 15s between reps.

Where do you need videos or pictures? It's quite simple really. Do a rep (or several reps), rack the weight or release the tension for 10-15 seconds, do a rep or several, then repeat for a total set of 5-15 reps depending on goals and similar.

It might be quite beneficial for hypertrophic gains at least occasionally used.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

rest-pause is cool, can't do it too much though. It's a very advanced technique

If you want to learn about rest-pause check out DC Training, invented by a gentleman who refers to himself as Doggcrapp. Seriously. He hangs out at intensemuscle.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

Now I am confident to follow the definition and assume that YouTube may not be the best for advanced techniques.
If you do not see objections, I will use it 3 weeks with dumbbell curls and barbell behind neck press to see what happens. I practically do not wear the belt but I suppose it would be good with this to protect the stomach.

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:49 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

This thread has an odd feel to it.

r_o_b_e_r_t wrote:
Is it only for big muscles? ie. biceps instead of wrist flexors

r_o_b_e_r_t wrote:
I will use it 3 weeks with dumbbell curls and barbell behind neck press to see what happens.

personally, I'm not putting close to max on the bar for behind kneck press. Your flexibility and so forth is likely much better than my shoulders.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 am 
n00b
n00b

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
This thread has an odd feel to it.
personally, I'm not putting close to max on the bar for behind kneck press. Your flexibility and so forth is likely much better than my shoulders.

I thought in this to support the barbell with my back in case of failure, as in squat, but It is a test. I will also try the press with dumbbells to see which is more comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:53 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I presuem you have plenty more reps in with behind the kneck pressing than I do. So, I will trust your logic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I presuem you have plenty more reps in with behind the kneck pressing than I do. So, I will trust your logic.

I tried and using dumbbells was more comfortable. I feel the effort in a symmetrical way and I did not need assistance.

I had no problems with behind kneck press but to take the bar, I did not feel safe to make it by myself.