ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: back twitch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

Been getting a twitch in my left lat for a while now on the odd occasion which isn't painful, but rather annoying. It happens a few times, then leaves but leaves a 'it's gonna go again' feeling in the same spot. Only happens maybe a couple of times a week, with no pattern in when, probably been going on for a few months now.

I tried a bit of soft tissue massage with a hockey ball and a wall tonight, then half way through realised I have no idea what's causing it, why it's being caused or any idea why it would be a soft tissue damage or how to figure it out and get rid of it.

I'm open to all ideas and what not, came to first and best place I could think of before paying someone I suppose.

Post subject: Re: back twitch
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:22 am 

Sleep deprivation? Excess caffeine? Medicines?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

inhalers for asthma, tea on the occasion, sleep is normally steady 8-9hours a night, 1 night it would be 5 hours, then another at 10-12 hours because of work and lie-in's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Could it be this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciculation#Treatment

Quote:

Inadequate magnesium intake can cause fasciculations, especially after a magnesium loss due to severe diarrhea. Over-exertion is another risk factor for magnesium loss. As 70-80% of the adult population does not consume the recommended daily amount of magnesium,[4] inadequate intake may also be a common cause. Treatment consists of increased intake of magnesium from dietary sources such as nuts (especially almonds) and bananas. Magnesium supplements may also be taken. However, too much magnesium may cause diarrhea, resulting in dehydration and nutrient loss (including magnesium itself, leading to a net loss, rather than a gain). Chelated magnesium can help reduce this effect.

Fasciculation also often occurs during a rest period after sustained stress, such as that brought on by unconsciously tense muscles. Reducing stress and anxiety is therefore another useful treatment.[citation needed]

There is no proven treatment for fasciculations in people with ALS. Among patients with ALS, fasciculation frequency is not associated with the duration of ALS and is independent of the degree of limb weakness and limb atrophy. No prediction of ALS disease duration can be made based on fasciculation frequency alone.[5]

I get it sometimes, I find it quite amusing. Feels like someone is poking me in the back with a finger.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah explains everything. Never heard of that before, thanks very much!