Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brachioradialis pain
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

jlmoss wrote:
I'm having really bad problems with this area in both of my arms myself. Rest really never helped me either, because they would easily come back.

My squats and DL are ridiculously light as I'm only learning technique still, so my problem had to originate elsewhere.

Is this the rolling you are talking about? http://youtu.be/5bO-evjTvUA

I'm really not liking that many say it doesn't go away. I've made such good progress recently and pissed that much of this work is backtracking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 pm 

emil3m wrote:
1. "This has been a nagging issue for about a year now, I've seen a PT who said rest it for two weeks. That did not work. My pain is felt around the brachioradialis. Not in the elbow area, but high on the forearm and close to the insertion point. My favorite bicep exercise--hammer curls are causing pain. I get a sharp pain initially even with the lightest of dumbbells and it feels generally weak in the area. After 20 or so reps it seems to get used to the movement and the pain goes away...
Yep, sounds like tennis elbow, technically known as lateral epicondylitis. As the name implies, it's not the elbow joint, but the lateral epicondyle that is involved. This is the ORIGIN, not the INSERTION of the wrist flexors and radial deviators, but that it just picky. Hammer curls would be expected to trigger pain.

emil3m wrote:
2. "Went back to the PT to obtain a referral to an orthopedist. But she pin pointed the problem area and said it's most likely the radial nerve. She showed me some Neural Mobilization techniques and it definitely feels like it's targeting the problem.

3. "Just an update, today I tried out standing cable hammer curl's with the rope and had absolutely no pain! (I have been doing radial nerve stretching exercises so that may be helping as well). It's weird because a week ago I could only use 50% weight on my dumbbell hammers because I was aggravating this problem but now with the cable it seems to be activating the muscles differently so perhaps the constant tension is the best way to approach this...[/i]

My issue is that I'm uninsured and in college. It really does look like I have to raise capital for some ART, doesn't it? I tried googling "Neural Mobilization" and "radial nerve stretching," but there's too much info to pick from.
Neither "neural mobilization nor "radial nerve stretching" are main-line medical concepts. Why would stretching a nerve be a good thing? Nerves aren't mobile structures, other than just riding along when the body moves, so why would you want to mobilize them? I'm sure that any movement that is intended to stretch the radial nerve is stretching a whole lot of other things, which probably accounts for any benefit of the activity.

Tennis elbow often goes away, sometimes as mysteriously as it came. Rest, ice, stretching (of the wrist extensors, radial deviators) decreased activity and time. If while that is happening you are doing some voodoo nerve mobilization technique, I'm sure that's what will get the credit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:

This was very relieving to read, thank you!

Is it possible to overdo the stretches you mention? I'm thinking 3 times daily as they are so easy to perform.

For lifting, intensity is the main trigger of pain. Is it ok to continue pulling work at about 12 reps that are pain-free (with perhaps mild irritation on the last 2)? What about the advice of doing high rep (15-20) hammer curls that are pain-free?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:21 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

emil3m wrote:
jlmoss wrote:
Is this the rolling you are talking about? http://youtu.be/5bO-evjTvUA

You can certainly try that if you want to see if it helps. I just take something that rolls and has enough structure to keep shape under pressure (ie. pvc pipe or a ball or something) and just smash the hell out of that area including the origin & insertion points.

I was watching a video off of mobilitywod.com about relieving tennis elbow pain and I'm interested in giving that a try too. It involves a lacross ball on the problem areas and a stretchy band wrapped tighly around it for a minute or so while mobilizing the joint.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 am 

emil3m wrote:
Is it possible to overdo the stretches you mention? I'm thinking 3 times daily as they are so easy to perform.

Overdoing stretching usually involves stretching too hard, or for too great a ROM. However, twice a day should do fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I had pain in the same area to the point of my whole elbow hurting really badly. Any overhand pulling made it alot worse and underhand curls, pulldowns, rows didnt hurt that much. The curls actually made the pain go away. I took 2 weeks of rest and started doing high-rep arm work(3-5x20) and its cured i got no problems anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

kibe69 wrote:
I had pain in the same area to the point of my whole elbow hurting really badly. Any overhand pulling made it alot worse and underhand curls, pulldowns, rows didnt hurt that much. The curls actually made the pain go away. I took 2 weeks of rest and started doing high-rep arm work(3-5x20) and its cured i got no problems anymore.

Yeah. I'm taking a long rest from anything that aggravates this. Soon I will be doing main lifts only and it'll be a longer rest.
Basically, I decided to club this thing to death with rest :)

Luckily, it has no effect on any main lifts. Weirdly, I can do chins both supinated and neutral (not overhand). Neutral surprised as hammers are tough.