ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:44 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Matt Z wrote:
Isn't the total murder rate a more signifigant stat. Dead is dead after all, regardless of the murder weapon.

The comment i replied to was specifically related to gun crime, hence the stats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:54 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Matt Z wrote:
If Austria had a murder rate as high as Mexico, wouldn't you expect some of that violence to spill over into neighboring countries?

Maybe, but the states that border Mexico have rates slightly higher than the US average, gun deaths per 100,000.

California - 3.37
Arizona - 3.47
New Mexico - 3.29
Texas - 3.19

Whereas the four highest states

District of Columbia - 16
Louisiana - 7.75
Missouri - 5.34
Maryland - 5.11

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... e-us-state

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

You gotta love the wording.

"Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms."

Not "committed with firearms" or "involved firearms", but "caused by firearms."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 am 

I stopped at H.M. Levitz Memorial Park after work yesterday. While I was there, I saw a chipmunk, a snapping turtle, painted turtles, a northern water snake, 2 bullfrogs, a green frog, a pickerel frog, 5 kinds of dragonflies and 8 kinds of butterflies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:04 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yesterday, the Beach Boys were in Belgium so i just had to go and see them.
It was pretty cool, good vibrations and I can hear music gave me goosebumps too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:18 am 

Matt,
Do you keep some sort of log?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:46 pm 

Yes. I have life-lists for birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, insects, etc. I also keep site lists for my favorite wildlife watching locations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you're like those NFL linemen who do crochet and ballet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:50 am 

One of my favourite clients is moving to another country next month. I've trained her the longest out of everyone and shes easily my best testimonial. a 60 yearold woman whom, prior to training with me had 15-20 years of back pain, a few years of knee pain, and never done anything athletic in her life. She also had a history of depression and was seeing a counsellor when she started training with me. She couldn't even hold a plank for more than 10 seconds when I started with her. Now she can do BB rollouts, stir the pot like a champ, hasn't had any pain in about 18 months, deadlifts 210lbs (perfect form), benches 100lbs, can do sets of 10 push ups from the floor, and has lost 50lbs of fat. I always forget she had high blood pressure at the start which pretty quickly became consistently normal.

She became a model client and one who is an inspiration to all of my other clients, especially females. In fact I've told 2 other females clients so far that she's leaving and they started crying. When I told the client in question I was happy that she was making the move because I know she will be happier in general, she started crying. This is the biggest disadvantage to training women.

It is a sad day but I am happy for her. I remember she sniped at me when I used to say I was training her in preparation for the day she doesn't need me. She would say she will never stop training with me. I used to say, "you never know what will happen". Now that day is coming. I'm going to keep writing her programs for her but obviously can't be there to coach her.

The whole point of this was actually to tell you that she hired a van herself to empty her house, and filled it and emptied it 4 times on her own - including moving a 3-piece suite down a flight of stairs and into the van. Did I mention she done all of this herself? Just picture a sweet little 60 yearold women doing this. Hard to imagine?

That is the value of strength training and strength training with free weights. That is what can be achieved with smart programming for the right person and consistent hard work. i'm not saying every one who lifts needs to actually doing this, but knowing you have the ability to do so if needed is a powerful feeling.

You don't get that from leg pressing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:44 pm 

KPj wrote:
One of my favourite clients is moving to another country next month. I've trained her the longest out of everyone and shes easily my best testimonial. Now she can... stir the pot like a champ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eItZuy59N6s

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 pm 

KPj wrote:
That is the value of strength training and strength training with free weights. That is what can be achieved with smart programming for the right person and consistent hard work. i'm not saying every one who lifts needs to actually doing this, but knowing you have the ability to do so if needed is a powerful feeling.

You don't get that from leg pressing.

It's a great feeling, isn't it? Even if a person doesn't reach their weight loss (or gain) goals, you've given them something useful that will improve the quality of their life for years to come.

Recently I had someone come to me for a consultation. 55 years old, 250+ pounds, can't take a flight of stairs. She's working with a trainer at another gym*, for half an hour at a time, with kettlebells. I asked her how much weight she was lifting, and I brought her a barbell of equivalent weights (25 pounds). I went through a mobility screen and once I was confident she could do a light weight deadlift variation, I put her through a few sets. She said she did the exercise with her other trainer with kettlebells, but that she preferred it with the barbell. I told her:

"listen, you might not lose as much weight with barbells as you would with a kettlebell. But if you follow my plan, in six weeks you'll be lifting three times that. In six months, you'll be lifting half your body weight. Now let me ask you this, if you don't lose the 125+ pounds you need to lose, what do you think will benefit you more, being able to lift a 25 pound kettlebell, or being able to lift half your body weight? Which one of these activities is going to help you get up the stairs, carry your groceries, and keep you out of a wheelchair?"

I don't have any particular bent against kettlebells, but when a person can't handle their bodyweight up a flight of stairs, they don't need to learn how to flail around with 25 pounds of resistance. They need the strength to be able to live their lives!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:15 pm 

Chocolate covered bacon isn't nearly as glorious as it sounds.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:31 pm 

Scrabble only has 1 z anyway. So you'd have to have the word "bum" was already on the board, and f,u,z,blank,l,e,d on your stick. 50 point bonus for playing 7 letters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 pm 

I hate mice. The bastards are everywhere in my flat. I thought I'd dealt with them but I saw one run under the stove tonight.

It's become a constant battle of wits, me vs the mice. I've killed a zillion of them but there just seems to be a never ending supply.

At first it was all fun 'n' games, me and my little mouse buddy. He'd come in the room sometimes when I was watching tv and snuffle about, and I'd be like "Aww look at the cute little mouse!" But the super fun times ended when I opened a cupboard I hadn't opened for a while and found the damn thing was FULL of mouse $h1t.

It's one thing when it's all cute and snuffling about, it's quite another when it's filling your cupboards with crap.

And I naively thought there was only one! There's been at least 8 so far.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:19 am 

Any excuse to post this. As soon as someone mentions mice I think of it. Never gets boring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 265  Next