ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Offline
former lurker

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 am
Posts: 2
Hello every one!

As the title hints, I'm hoping some of you would be kind enough to comment on my new routine - I started working out in early may after a 2 year something break from lifting weights, and have been doing a full-body routine 3 times a week. As I feel I'm getting more into working out again, I've decided to try a 3-day split routine, which I've put together using the template here on this site :).

To give you an idea of my current level, here's what i lifted during my last workout (I haven't listed all the exercises):

Bench: 75 kg x 5 x 4
Military: 40 kg x 5 x 4
Squat: 80 kg x 6 x 4
Closegrip bench: 40kg x 8 x 3
Bent over row: 45kg x 8 x 3

Due to lower back pain which required a lot of help from a chiropractor to get rid of, I have just recently started doing squats, so I'm behind there, I know.

I'm a 22 y/o guy, and my goal is to be able to do at least 2 sets of 5 reps with 90 kg in bench before the end of this year, while putting on as much muscle as i can. I currently weigh around 80 kg, and I'm normally build.

So, my program! :

Day 1: Chest and back

Bench press
Pull-down
Incline Bench
Bent over row
Chest dip
DB Shrugs

Day 2: Legs

Squat
Hamstring raise
Lunges
Calf raise
Crunches

Day 3: Shoulders and Arms

Military
Upright row
Rear delt row
Close grip bench
Biceps curl (barbell)
Bench dips
Reverse curl

So, 3 days on, 1 off, 3 days on, and so forth.

Am I missing something here, or am I putting too much strain on a peticular joint or muscle?

In order to avoid my back pain coming back, I've totally left dead-lift out of my routine, but I'm considering putting it in there somewhere in 2-3 months.

Thanks! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
with no rep/set ranges hard to say but it looks like you may be pushing more than pulling, upper and lower.

given your stage I might trim down the accessory lifts and do more of the meat and potatoes.

and eat more meat and potatos too to gain the muscle you seek.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:26 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:25 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Toronto
You're doing too much pushing and not enough pulling.

Also, I'm not sure I understand doing bodypart splits for anyone that isn't a bodybuilder? Do biceps really need two dedicated exercises after being synergists or stabilizers for three? Has a pumped bicep ever saved somebody's life or pulled a baby out of a burning car, because I seem to be missing something…

_________________
don't you know there ain't no devil
that's just god when he's drunk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:06 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: Lapland, Finland
It's alright. What kind of rep/set scheme are you using?
My only critique would go to the same address that has been touted already. Check this exercise list out:
Bench Press, Incline Press, Chest Dip, Military press, Close-grip bench, Bench dips. That's six exercises for triceps, chest and shoulders, or practially the movement of pressing. That's a big amount, and I would say it's way too much considering that you only have 3 or 4 exercises for the whole upper back and legs. I'm conserned about your recovery. I know you want a bigger bench, but is all this tricep isolation really necessary? I would just do one big press (Wether it's bench, floor press, military or incline) with high intensity, then some pressing variation (Dips or other press) for volume, and that's it. Only two exercises. If your triceps are behind maybe a third exercise on one of the workout days.

And drop the bench dip. It's doing way more harm to you than it does good. Seriously, it's not good for the shoulders.

Remember, you can't out train a POOR DIET.

_________________
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:44 am 
Offline
former lurker

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 am
Posts: 2
Thank you for your input everybody! Much appreciated! :)

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
with no rep/set ranges hard to say but it looks like you may be pushing more than pulling, upper and lower.

given your stage I might trim down the accessory lifts and do more of the meat and potatoes.

and eat more meat and potatos too to gain the muscle you seek.


I'd be doing 5 x 5. Could you give an example of accessory lifts you think could be left out? Like incline bench or chest dips? I actually thought myself that the program focused on the basic exercises, or the meat and potatoes, but I'm wrong here?

JasonJones wrote:
You're doing too much pushing and not enough pulling.

Also, I'm not sure I understand doing bodypart splits for anyone that isn't a bodybuilder? Do biceps really need two dedicated exercises after being synergists or stabilizers for three? Has a pumped bicep ever saved somebody's life or pulled a baby out of a burning car, because I seem to be missing something…


Could you give an example of a push exercise I might substitute with a pull exercise?

Would you recommend me to go back to doing a full-body program? As for doing bodypart splits, it seems to me that many believe that to yield faster progress than doing a full body program thrice a week? My experience here relies pretty much on articles I've read on the web, so I might be misinformed? To me it seems logical that working a muscle group thoroughly twice a week, and allowing for more recovery gives better results, than working the same muscle group thrice or four times a week but more superficial. Also I simply don't seem to have the energy to work out my entire body effectively, when I get to the last exercises I'm pretty much drained.

Dub wrote:
It's alright. What kind of rep/set scheme are you using?
My only critique would go to the same address that has been touted already. Check this exercise list out:
Bench Press, Incline Press, Chest Dip, Military press, Close-grip bench, Bench dips. That's six exercises for triceps, chest and shoulders, or practially the movement of pressing. That's a big amount, and I would say it's way too much considering that you only have 3 or 4 exercises for the whole upper back and legs. I'm conserned about your recovery. I know you want a bigger bench, but is all this tricep isolation really necessary? I would just do one big press (Wether it's bench, floor press, military or incline) with high intensity, then some pressing variation (Dips or other press) for volume, and that's it. Only two exercises. If your triceps are behind maybe a third exercise on one of the workout days.

And drop the bench dip. It's doing way more harm to you than it does good. Seriously, it's not good for the shoulders.

Remember, you can't out train a POOR DIET.


So if I cut out the chest dip, bench dip and close-grip bench would I be better off? And maybe doing a cable exercise for triceps instead? I just always believed that the military, bench, incline bench and close-grip should be a part of any good workout program? I'm actually doing more back exercises than listed here - to prevent my back pain from coming back, my chiropractor advised me to do some stabilizing exercises - I'm not sure what they're called, but I'll try to explain them:

Each of these exercises is done 3 times, every other day.

1: Lying on my back with legs bent, then raising the hip from the floor, holding that for 20 seconds, then raising one leg, holding that for 20 seconds, and then the other leg, also for 20 seconds.

2: Lying on the stomach, then raising my entire body from the floor, so only elbows and toes are touch the floor. Holding that for 20 seconds, and then turning to the side, now with only the edge of the foot and one elbow touching the floor. This is also held for 20 seconds, then back to the initial position, and rolling to the other side and holding that position for 20 seconds.

3: Same as 2, but instead of turning to the sides, one foot is lifted off the floor, and that position is held for 20 seconds, and then doing the same for the other foot.

4: Lying on the sides as in 2, but just holding that position.

All of these exercises train the back and also the hamstrings, but should I throw another leg and back exercise in my routine as well?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
Tobias_KK wrote:
Would you recommend me to go back to doing a full-body program? As for doing bodypart splits, it seems to me that many believe that to yield faster progress than doing a full body program thrice a week? My experience here relies pretty much on articles I've read on the web, so I might be misinformed? To me it seems logical that working a muscle group thoroughly twice a week, and allowing for more recovery gives better results, than working the same muscle group thrice or four times a week but more superficial. Also I simply don't seem to have the energy to work out my entire body effectively, when I get to the last exercises I'm pretty much drained.


full body splits are recommended for beginners, as beginners can recover fairly quickly from workouts. Once you are an advanced level bodybuilder, you need so much volume to get your body parts to grow it takes you a full week to recover. That's why beginners are recommended to do full body workouts; they simply don't do enough damage to themselves to warrant a full week of recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: Halifax, NS
Also, doing less is actually more. A few exercises work better than a lot since you can put more effort into the exercises that matter. Make sure you're getting one squat, one hinge, one horizonal and one vertical push and pull, before worrying about accessory lifts. By the way, upright row doesn't count as a vertical pull. Pull ups do.

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: Lapland, Finland
Tobias_KK wrote:
So if I cut out the chest dip, bench dip and close-grip bench would I be better off? And maybe doing a cable exercise for triceps instead?
Well, I'll explain this more below, but I like to always choose one main lift for pressing, then one assisting exercise to whatever I want to improve. In your case maybe triceps? Now, Close-grip bench is a great tricep exercise, and you can use that. Or many DB exercises are great as well, as are skull crushers. Whatever you like best.
Quote:
I just always believed that the military, bench, incline bench and close-grip should be a part of any good workout program?
Well practically yes. But how you organize and use those exercises is worth conserning. They aren't good when thrown in one big pile. You see, they are all pressing movements that activate the shoulders, triceps and chest (and back). Pretty similar in function, just different in movement angle. In one workout only max two is in my opinion worth doing, if not one. You don't need the same stimulation in many exercises on one workout, nor should you stress the nervous system and muscles too excessively. One should be used as a main lift (May it be military press, bench press or their variations). If you want to improve muscle strength or size in that area, use another exercise as assisting, doing more higher volume and lesser intensity. Like Incline presses or DB variations for example. Then do those exercises for two-four weeks, then maybe change the exercises to give different stress and stimulation. It's not necessary, but some prefer it that way.
Quote:
I'm actually doing more back exercises than listed here - to prevent my back pain from coming back, my chiropractor advised me to do some stabilizing exercises - I'm not sure what they're called, but I'll try to explain them:
What you prescribed are known here as "core" exercises. They train all the abs, back muscles, glutes and posterior chain in general. They are great exercises and I would recommend doing them even if there would be no back pain at all.

Quote:
1: Lying on my back with legs bent, then raising the hip from the floor, holding that for 20 seconds, then raising one leg, holding that for 20 seconds, and then the other leg, also for 20 seconds.

Sounds like a glute bridge variation. It's a great exercise for Glutes(the butt) and hamstrings. Something similar to this, yes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGoMhZLU ... ature=plcp

Quote:
2: Lying on the stomach, then raising my entire body from the floor, so only elbows and toes are touch the floor. Holding that for 20 seconds, and then turning to the side, now with only the edge of the foot and one elbow touching the floor. This is also held for 20 seconds, then back to the initial position, and rolling to the other side and holding that position for 20 seconds.
4: Lying on the sides as in 2, but just holding that position.
3: Same as 2, but instead of turning to the sides, one foot is lifted off the floor, and that position is held for 20 seconds, and then doing the same for the other foot.

This is a set of plank and side plank, and then a plank variation. They are an anti-extension/flexion, anti-lateral extension and anti-rotational exercises. Simple put, muscles activate to hold you still. Stabilize. A great exercise, one of the best "core" exercises. I'm a fan of many of the variations.

_________________
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group