ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

I picked up a 2.27kg tub of the Interactive Nutrition isoWhey protein powder the other day for $36. I haven't been able to find any reviews or anything on it, just that it is made in Canada. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the brand and whether it is any good or not? Seems like it retails for about $100, all I know is it was cheap and I figure there's not too much of a difference from one brand to the next.

http://www.healthyplanetcanada.com/stor ... ts_id=1745

link is to a tub of the same stuff, except I got the "nourishing natural flavour" (which I think is better anyways since there's no stevia or sucralose).

Just want to hear your thoughts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

it's whey.

grossly over priced at $93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 pm 
n00b
n00b

I figured, which is why I would never buy it at all price. But it being cheap, and whey isolate (which is higher quality than whey concentrate?) I figured it would be a good way to get enough protein throughout the day. I do try to get a lot of my protein through real food (chicken, meat, fish, eggs) but that doesn't always happen due to time, convenience, etc.

Guess I'll power through this tub and do some more research on what protein is best for the future, any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

hunt
eggs
bulk
join whole sale club
buy freezer, maybe
don't worry about whey isolate vs concetrate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Isolate is usually more expensive since it's more processed. It has more protein (up and over 90%), when concentrate has only somewhere around 70-80%. So the difference is not earth shattering. I would more look into the amino acid content. Most whey supplements usually have BCAA's (Leucine, isoleucine and valine) and maybe even glutamine in them. Those are the amino acids that are most important for whaever the goal you try to achieve.

The brand isn't important, it's the content. Personally I like supplements with high protein value and good amounts of important amino acids.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

isolate can be good for folk that have digestive issues with concentrate. About the only advantage really.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:42 am 
n00b
n00b

Dub wrote:
Isolate is usually more expensive since it's more processed. It has more protein (up and over 90%), when concentrate has only somewhere around 70-80%. So the difference is not earth shattering. I would more look into the amino acid content. Most whey supplements usually have BCAA's (Leucine, isoleucine and valine) and maybe even glutamine in them. Those are the amino acids that are most important for whaever the goal you try to achieve.

The brand isn't important, it's the content. Personally I like supplements with high protein value and good amounts of important amino acids.

It has all those and more, except for glutamic acid as opposed to glutamine. From what I've read, about half of the glutamic acid in whey will convert to glutamine in the body?

Thanks to all for your replies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 am 

Glutamic Acid may not have the same effect as Glutamine. The difference is in the amount of free glutamate that is produced. Free glutamate is a flavour enhancer and also an excitotoxin. I'm not making any judgement on the product you're talking about, just throwing that out for consideration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor)

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm 

I think it's funny how tubs of protein always have the amino acid profile listed; the amount of leucine, valine or whatever.

I mean, it's protein!!! Of course it has all that stuff. They're just trying to dazzle you with scientific sounding words.

All complete proteins will have the right amino acids for muscle building, whether it's whey, casein, meat, eggs or whatever. Worrying about things like the amino acids is nonsense. Supplement company nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm 

Any complete protein is, well, complete. There may be small variations in the ratios of amino acids, but if there is more than one protein in your diet, that won't matter.

Bob has it straight! (as usual)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I like Oscar's simple initial reply.

I'm feeling sorry for myself lately

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm 
n00b
n00b

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I like Oscar's simple initial reply.

I'm feeling sorry for myself lately

Thanks Oscar, it got the ball rolling.

Happy that my first thread brought contributions from all the people I was hoping for, looking forward to hopefully being more active on (and not just browsing) this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:44 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Any complete protein is, well, complete. There may be small variations in the ratios of amino acids, but if there is more than one protein in your diet, that won't matter.

Bob has it straight! (as usual)

What I meant to say is, "See Oscar's simple initial reply."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

bolto wrote:
Happy that my first thread brought contributions from all the people I was hoping for

I stand on the shoulders of giants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 am 

Alikurnis wrote:
There are slight changes between different brands of protein powders, but a person must try for any one type of protien powder that must suit to them. Changing to the different brands can cause a problem.

Most differences are trivial. Changing to different brands won't cause any more problem than maybe finding one you don't like the taste of.

Too bad you can't post links. I'll bet you could link us to a nice site about protein powders, huh?