ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Many people also recommend DB Goblet Squats as a good weighted start for squatting. I would too. They are easy to do and have an anterior loading. Plus you can get to really light weights to start with. If you are having problems with you spine, depth and posture, use a box to squat on. Go only as low as your form stays good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 am 

i'm used to the main movement of squats cause i often had to do them with two medicine balls at soccer training, but i'm not used to train with a barbell.

i know the goblet squat, it looks like an easy movement. i will try it in a few week (when ankle is completely recovered). what about this one? http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadric ... Squat.html

and do you only recommend barbell training or can i also benchpress with dumbbells? i like them more cause you cant get in trouble with them if you are going bananas on the weight and losing power ^^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
i'm used to the main movement of squats cause i often had to do them with two medicine balls at soccer training, but i'm not used to train with a barbell.

i know the goblet squat, it looks like an easy movement. i will try it in a few week (when ankle is completely recovered). what about this one? http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadric ... Squat.html

and do you only recommend barbell training or can i also benchpress with dumbbells? i like them more cause you cant get in trouble with them if you are going bananas on the weight and losing power ^^

DB Squats are good as well. If you keep the DB's like that, it's very similar to the form of a BB front squat. A good progression too.

DB Bench Press is a good choise. Nothing really wrong with it. They allow a more shoulder frienfly form, with a more tucked in movement pattern (More of a neutral grip, not fully pronated).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:17 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you will naturally incorporate more Barbell work because it will be the simplist way to add the resistance you will eventualy crave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
you will naturally incorporate more Barbell work because it will be the simplist way to add the resistance you will eventualy crave

it's a long way to the 50kg dbs :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 am 

Dub wrote:
ephs wrote:

DB Squats are good as well. If you keep the DB's like that, it's very similar to the form of a BB front squat. A good progression too.

DB Bench Press is a good choise. Nothing really wrong with it. They allow a more shoulder frienfly form, with a more tucked in movement pattern (More of a neutral grip, not fully pronated).

ok, then i will keep the exercises i'm already doing with dbs. thx!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 am 

i did my first session with 3x5 and it was very hard. it challenged me more than 2x10. i will keep on trying 3x5!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Goblet Squats are a good learning tool, but you'll quickly outgrow them as you get stronger.

With Dumbbell Front Squats you'll likely have a similar problem, since you'll soon be able to squat more weight than you can comfortably support.

You'll get a lot more mileage out of dumbbells with upper-body lifts like Dumbbell Bench Presses, but even then you may eventually reach a point where they heaviest dumbbells you have are too light.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:30 pm 

what if i suffer hard muscle soreness after the games on sunday and i skip the leg training on monday then. how much sets squats do you recommend on wed/thu then to compensate the skipped leg training?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I wouldn't be too quick to give them up on Monday.
young guys have amazing adaptive abilities

and you can't just make up for it on Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:29 am 

massive muscle soreness shouldn't be the norm after the games. so just 3 sets on wed/thu in case of not working the legs on monday?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 am 

Why wouldn't you work the legs on Monday? Are you often that sore 2 days after a game?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Why wouldn't you work the legs on Monday? Are you often that sore 2 days after a game?

games are on sunday. sometimes soccer is killing the legs :smile:. soreness usually ends after 24h or so. but maybe i could make a slow run before working out on mondays. that often helps me against soreness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:11 pm 

If I'm sore, I usually go in and warmup. That will either make it so I can squat, or confirm I shouldn't.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 pm 

do you recommend doing this exercise with dbs? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... erRow.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next