ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi, I was looking around on the internet at protein shakes when I came across afair number of sites about the negative health benefits of protein shakes (e.g. http://www.primehealthchannel.com/side-effects-of-protein-shakes.html ) but very few of them were linked to actual scientific studies.

So I was wondering, does anyone know of any meta-studies or comprehensive reviews on the health effects of protein shakes? beyond that of just muscle growth, as I am having a hard time find any

Thanks

Last edited by medic002 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:17 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

whey protein is really very good for you.

careful what you read online

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well that's the thing, the sites aren't citing anyone apart from each other - that is why I was wondering if there was actually any negative evidence, because I can't find any

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't know if you put the wrong link or something, but that source is only telling what foods are "Alkaline". It's known that high protein diets cause some disturbance on the blood PH. But these numbers of protein are very high. The amount we on average eat (1.8-2.4g/kg of weight) shouldn't be that much of a problem and in "healthy ranges". There are still plenty of every day foods and nutrients that work on the opposite, so I've never been worried. Protein shakes are not the problem, high protein in general will lift you ph on some matters, no matter what the source is.

EDIT: This is what I've found so far:
A study of Korean bodybuilders, consuming huge amounts of protein (over 4g/kg of weight) every day added with heavy resistance training(exercise is also known for messing with the blood ph). The blood ph was on healthy ranges. No direct answer was brought, the subject clearly needs more research, especially on the matter of what other things play the part (nutrients: i.e calsium, potassium. Exercise...)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3142197/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Dub wrote:
I don't know if you put the wrong link or something, but that source is only telling what foods are "Alkaline". It's known that high protein diets cause some disturbance on the blood PH. But these numbers of protein are very high. The amount we on average eat (1.8-2.4g/kg of weight) shouldn't be that much of a problem and in "healthy ranges". There are still plenty of every day foods and nutrients that work on the opposite, so I've never been worried. Protein shakes are not the problem, high protein in general will lift you ph on some matters, no matter what the source is.

A study of Korean bodybuilders, consuming huge amounts of protein (over 4g/kg of weight) every day added with heavy resistance training(exercise is also known for messing with the blood ph). The blood ph was on healthy ranges. No direct answer was brought, the subject clearly needs more research, especially on the matter of what other things play the part (nutrients: i.e calsium, potassium. Exercise...)

Sorry, that link was from that site, I just copy and pasted the wrong link by accident. I have corrected it, but here is the correct link

http://www.primehealthchannel.com/side- ... hakes.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:05 am 

Some people have dairy alergies and some of those alergens are passed on through whey. You have to be ultra sensitive for that to be an issue though. I remeber Peter DelOrto talking about that once. I think he went with a pea based formula.

Some people take just protein shakes in an effort to minimize body fat. In this case, the hazzard is missing nutrients you should get from whole foods. This isn't really a negative factor of the protein though. The article was talking about 2-300 grams of protein in a shake. This must be what they are thinking of since this is an unrealistic amount to take for any other reason.

Ketosis is not dangerous and is a result of low carbs, not protein by itself.

Kidney stones have several contributing factors, reasonable levels of protein are not one of them.

Soy may very well have side effects. I can think of others besides those listed.

Over all, I wouldn't worry about it if you use it reasonably and have no obvious issues.

Side issue - Kidney Stones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone#Prevention

Quote:
...A positive association between animal protein consumption and recurrence of kidney stones has been shown in men, but not yet in women...

Any time an association is made for one sex but not the other, and there is no good reason for it, it's probably a spurious association.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:23 am 

medic002 wrote:
... the health effects of protein shakes? beyond that of just muscle growth...

Of course, muscle growth is not an effect of protein shakes, it's an effect of exercise. Protein doesn't make the muscles grow any more than bricks delivered to a construction site make a wall go up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:59 am 
former lurker

Exactly! It takes lot of efforts to build your muscles. Green drinks and other supplements only helpful to provide ingredients which are helpful and useful to maintain your body.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:17 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

medic002 wrote:
Dub wrote:

Sorry, that link was from that site, I just copy and pasted the wrong link by accident. I have corrected it, but here is the correct link

http://www.primehealthchannel.com/side- ... hakes.html

Prime Health Crap

What really annoys me are sites that provide crap on nutrition and training, such as Prime Health.

Let look at one of their statements...

Liver damage

"The human liver is responsible for assimilating protein. According to medical experts, a high amount of protein in whey shakes puts excess pressure on the liver thereby affecting its health. Long time consumption may prove to be damaging for the liver."

Health individuals do NOT experience any liver problem with high protein diets. This is a myth that continues to be perpetuated out of ignorance by site like Prime Health.

Prime Health statement even stipulates "consumption MAY prove damaging". That means they have NO idea and NO real research to back it.

Individuals with liver problem are the individuals who need to avoid high protein intake.

Car Injuries and Death

Any individual remotely concerned with their health and longevity should NOT get into a car.

There are more "health issues" and death cause by riding in a car than high protein diets.

The number and percentage of car injuries and fatalities is greater than a high protein diet.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:36 am 

Kenny, I think a lot of sites try to scare people into thinking fitness is mysterious and full of pitfalls so that people need their services to navigate their way through. I find this approach very distasteful, but it likely pay their bills very well. It sort of reminds me of some religions. I'm glad I found ExRx when I started out.

This is an old thread.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

stuward wrote:
Kenny, I think a lot of sites try to scare people into thinking fitness is mysterious and full of pitfalls so that people need their services to navigate their way through. I find this approach very distasteful, but it likely pay their bills very well. It sort of reminds me of some religions. I'm glad I found ExRx when I started out.

This is an old thread.

Yes indeed. I feel the same way.