ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I do squats, I have to keep my hands a lot wider than I'd like and my wrists bend near 90 degrees and can ache for a little while after my sets... long story short I can't find a comfortable position!

What sort of things should I be doing to improve my shoulder flexibility?

I read about those superman style exercises where you lie prone and raise your arms pointing your thumbs upwards - would they help?

Also, would simpy continuting with squats improve my flexibility?

EDIT: I have tried to do YTWL's and absolutely suck at the W and L positions!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Shoulder dislocations! You could do them everyday and some stretching for chest and front deltoid. I did it for 6 months and moved on to maintanence doing shoulder dislocations couple of times a month and kept all the flexibility.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

ain't those a bit advanced for one with really bad flexibility?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I wasnt advanced or anything just stiff as f**k. I felt pain in my elbows and shoulders while squatting. If he is stiffer than what i used to be than that just means he starts with wider grip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 pm 

I do dislocates with a band, and it doesn't seem to do much for me. Of course, I only do them on workout days, and not always then, so I probably shouldn't expect them to help much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:54 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I can't even make medium circles with both arms at the same time. There's no chance I'm do that dislocatino exercies. Wall slides is as good as it gets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:14 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

kibe69 wrote:
Shoulder dislocations! You could do them everyday and some stretching for chest and front deltoid. I did it for 6 months and moved on to maintanence doing shoulder dislocations couple of times a month and kept all the flexibility.

doing those with a wooden dowel made my shoulder injury LOADS worse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:52 am 

Give these a shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAnAYSH_jM

If you can't almost effortlessly get your hand to the floor without changing position of your lower body and keeping the other arm off the ground, then these will help.

I think Bob loves them.

Dislocates can be good for some people but, if you're locked up in the upper spine, lacking extension, then when doing shoulder dislocations you won't move much if at all from upper spine, and the lower spine and shoulder joint will pick up the slack, which can hurt.

I would be doing a whole bunch of tspine mobility, in your warm up and I would have them as fillers between sets. Front squats may be a better option until it's more comfortable.

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have this problem intermittently. Old right rotator cuff shoulder injury. I never let my wrist bear the brunt on squats, just live with the shoulder pain when it's there. I need the wrist for my work!

I power thru it, but I would like to discover what is going on. I keep thinking there is some stretch I don't know. I also feel a tightness near the clavicle. "Upper pecs?" Is there such a thing?

What do you mean by "locked up in upper spine" KPj?

I have pretty good posture compared to most, but like many who must sit all day, probably have weak rhomboids and overactive pecs/serratus (whatever brings the arms around to move the mouse and type on the keyboard). Have to think to lift chest. Have to go thru a checklist when I squat to ensure good posture.

I have a friend who can perform dislocations (rotate shoulders) 360, hands together. How come I can barely do "dislocations" with a band? Pectorals? Serratus anteriors? Teutonic ancestry?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 am 

KPj wrote:
Give these a shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAnAYSH_jM

If you can't almost effortlessly get your hand to the floor without changing position of your lower body and keeping the other arm off the ground, then these will help.

I think Bob loves them.

oh yeah I love everything I suck at