ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

emil3m wrote:
You've said on several occasions that you are not really in favor of this "grain policy". Is this still true?
Can you break down "loads of carbs until bedtime" into ratios of grain-veg-fruit?

i try and limit (wheat) grains as much as possible. I don't think I am particularly sensitive to their negative effects but I still try and limit them anyway.

I don't think of my meals in terms of ratios. I just have loads of rice or potatoes and loads of veg along with meat. I think in terms of servings, so during the eraly art of the day I have meat with a couple of servings of veg, then later in the day I have meat with a serving of veg and a serving of carbs. I never really count anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hey. We got to mess around on the testing area today (and the whole week, plus get access to it whenever wanted), and here be the results of summers hard work:

Weight: 74,5kg
Body Fat %: 8,9
Fat Mass: 6,65kg
Fat-Free Mass: 67.5kg
Muscle Mass: 64,5kg
Bone Mass: 3,4kg
Water%: 65,2kg

The fat and muscle were pretty evenly distributed around the body, the amount of visceral fat was on the low range of the healthy-unhealthy scale. So I did pretty well on my opinion.

The testing measure was TANITA body compostion analyser, pic there:
Stand still and hold the handles.

Don't know if that's too accurate, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd still quess my bodyfat comes around 8-12%, no matter the device.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am 

nice work there Dub, now just add another 20lbs of muscle and you'll be good to go :)

I'm off the cutting wagon now, started an extreme bulk today to take me up til xmas. 200lbs here I come!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I was thinking that I'd like to be on the weight range of 75-85kg. No more than that. Why? Just a personal prefrence. Will most likely change in the future.

Winter antirecomposition? What's the plan? Backload like you've never backloaded before? How much do you weight at the moment?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:46 pm 

I was only semi-serious about the 20lbs of muscle thing. At 8.9% bodyfat you should be looking pretty impressive regardless (although I realise that's not what you train for).

I'm sitting about 85k just now. My plan is to still stick pretty much to backloading; I'll be eating all my starchy foods later in the day with a bit of carbs post-workout (I'm training in the afternoons these days). Really I'm just going hog wild with the fat. I've started adding half a can of coconut milk to my morning shakes, it's SO GOOD. Think I might get some flaxseed oil too. I'm still not going to eat any carbs in the earlier part of the day before I train.

Going to allow myself to get a bit looser with food choices too so I won't really be having "cheat days" as such, just going to have a pizza if I feel like having a pizza (only in the evenings though. That's actually how Kiefer recommends to backload but I was never too convinced by the pizza and ice cream recommendations...).

I reckon I can get up to 90k by xmas if I really push it, although I'm sure a bit of that'll end up being fat. I'll have plenty time to diet it off before next summer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'd like to join in on the sympathy recomp efforts. For the next year I will be attempting to lean out by eating whatever strikes my fancy. I am hoping my weight will stay stable (224).

The plan is to add volume to my workouts, add strongman style training as conditioning on my lower body days via keg carries/farmer's walks/sled pushing/wood splitting, and add a half hour of daily "long slow" fasted cardio (bicycling) in the AM, upping my total "training" schedule to something more like 8-10 hours a week. I will titrate up to this level of workload so I don't end up hurt, starting with the lifting.

I'll do one main lift per day spread across four days, and will use the Boring But Big strategy for backoff sets at 5x10/50%. I am thinking that the added volume and increased food input will recomp me better than trying to diet down, especially now that my lifts are at a respectable level. You know, that whole form follows function thing. I love being active and I always feel run ragged when I diet.

Worst thing that happens is I reassess in December and change strategy.