ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

[quote="slw0096"Any guidance for what accessory exercises I should look at is greatly appreciated. One of my weak points is my gut.[/quote]

Try the 'Boring but Big' template. 5 x 10 with 50% of your working max, it sounds easy but it isn't, be prepared for some pain and for your heart to jump out your throat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Proper Knob wrote:
[quote="slw0096"Any guidance for what accessory exercises I should look at is greatly appreciated. One of my weak points is my gut.

Try the 'Boring but Big' template. 5 x 10 with 50% of your working max, it sounds easy but it isn't, be prepared for some pain and for your heart to jump out your throat.[/quote]

And for the 2nd accessory? or is there one?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:17 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

slw0096 wrote:

Something else for 5 sets of 10-20 reps. Rowing on a push day, chinups on a press day, hamstrings on a squat day, quads on a deadlift day - something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

slw0096 wrote:

As Peter suggested above, it could look like -

Squats 5/3/1
Squats 5 x 10
RDL's 5 x 10

Deadlifts 5/3/1
Deadlifts 5 x 10
Bulgarian Split Squats 5 x10

Bench 5/3/1
DB Bench 5 x 10
DB Rows 5 x 10

Press 5/3/1
DB Press 5 x 10
Pullups 5 x as many as realistically posible.

Something like that. After a few cycles change the assistance exercises around. Personally i would throw in a few healthy shoulder exercises for the upperbody days, just a few sets of band pullaparts or incline Y's T's or something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Proper Knob wrote:
slw0096 wrote:

As Peter suggested above, it could look like -

Squats 5/3/1
Squats 5 x 10
RDL's 5 x 10

Deadlifts 5/3/1
Deadlifts 5 x 10
Bulgarian Split Squats 5 x10

Bench 5/3/1
DB Bench 5 x 10
DB Rows 5 x 10

Press 5/3/1
DB Press 5 x 10
Pullups 5 x as many as realistically posible.

Thanks to both you and Peter. This gives me a little more to work with and a better idea. How much different are RDL's compared to just Deadlifts? Are DB Rows any better than Pendlays?

Just type-thinking: If I put hypers on squat days, would I want to put Deadlifts first in the week? Example:

DL's 5/3/1
DL's 5x10
Lunges 5x10 (the version where I push a weight over my head as I go down; these hurt!!!)

Squat 5/3/1
Squat 5x10
Hyper Extensions 5x10

Is there enough pull to balance the push?!? :D

Proper Knob wrote:
Something like that. After a few cycles change the assistance exercises around. Personally i would throw in a few healthy shoulder exercises for the upperbody days, just a few sets of band pullaparts or incline Y's T's or something similar.

Okay; now you've lost me on the terminology? I think I understand band pullaparts; if it is what it sounds like it is. Incline Y's T's?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

slw0096 wrote:
How much different are RDL's compared to just Deadlifts? Are DB Rows any better than Pendlays?

For me deadlifts are performed hard and heavy, RDL's are performed with considerably less weight as i use them as an accessory exercise, especially if i'm doing multiple sets of high reps. Just really focus on getting your hips back, maintaining the arch in your lower back and feel the stretch in your hamstrings. Are DB Rows better than Pendlays? Define 'better'?! Personally Pendlay Rows put a lot of stress on my lower back which DB Rows don't so i mainly use DB's instead.

slw0096 wrote:
Just type-thinking: If I put hypers on squat days, would I want to put Deadlifts first in the week?

Put them where you want to, there's no hard and fast rule. There's a school of thought that says to put the exercise you want to focus on most first in the week. Experiment, see what works for you.

slw0096 wrote:
Okay; now you've lost me on the terminology? I think I understand band pullaparts; if it is what it sounds like it is. Incline Y's T's?

Band Pullaparts -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_Fbssgmvk

Incline Y's, T's and I's -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvpQAdgL ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:09 am 

RDLs are great to keep constant tension on the hammies. I like sets of 20, never quite locking out

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:43 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll update my journal momentarily for the record. :D

Today, I did the deadlift 5/3/1 and 5x10 @ 50% - and that was enough for the first run at it. I figured the 5 sets of 10 would wind me; however, what it did was work the hell out of my forearms, and I liked it. I know doing this part of the routine will increase my forearm / grip strength.

I was planning on doing lunges as the 2nd accessory, but at 52 minutes and the first go at this, I decided I would do just the main lift and one accessory until I can get the rest periods down. Between the two to three sets I was at about 2 to 3 minutes. After that, I was pushing 5 to 6 - not do to being winded; arms were sore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

slw0096 wrote:
I'll update my journal momentarily for the record. :D

Today, I did the deadlift 5/3/1 and 5x10 @ 50% - and that was enough for the first run at it. I figured the 5 sets of 10 would wind me; however, what it did was work the hell out of my forearms, and I liked it. I know doing this part of the routine will increase my forearm / grip strength.

I was planning on doing lunges as the 2nd accessory, but at 52 minutes and the first go at this, I decided I would do just the main lift and one accessory until I can get the rest periods down. Between the two to three sets I was at about 2 to 3 minutes. After that, I was pushing 5 to 6 - not do to being winded; arms were sore.

Looks like you have your 5/3/1 set up how you like it. I know that for me, 5x10 deadlifts from the floor would fry my CNS and mess up my lower back. Instead I do rack pulls from juat beliw the knee at 80% of my cycle 1rm, 8x3 as my assistance on DL day, followed by SLDL at 50% 8x3. Deadlift day is the only day I do not follow the BBB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 pm 

There is no reason that most people couldn't do 5x10 deadlifts with relatively light weight (he's using 50% of his training max). In my opinion, people are way too afraid of DL. Greasing this movement with a light weight is potentially very helpful.