ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 am 
former lurker

Hey guys,

If you guys are moving to Spain without knowing Spanish, it is fine to get by at the beginning, but definitely worth taking up a cheap Spanish course (many of them around)

I have been to many places around Spain, the main hotspots - Barcelona, Sevilla, Madrid but would definitely recommend Valencia to settle down in. The people are very welcoming and the city is beautiful and so cheap to live in. The weather is pretty much nice all year round.

A nice Spanish school to get started with is spanishcoursespain-valencia as they give you free cooking lessons and cultural classes and when I was studying there, I made most of my friends there as the school organises a lot of activities almost every day.

The beaches in Valencia are beautiful, and it is possible to rent a nice room/apartments for approx 300 euros-400 euros including cleaners too, sometimes.

Definitely recommend checking out Valencia for the long haul. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:29 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Mel, you wouldn't happen to be spamming up my thread on behalf of spanishcoursespain-valencia now would you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 am 
former lurker

No I genuinely had an excellent experience in Valencia, and partially because of school I went to. I had such a wicked time with their activities but in general, Valencia was amazing. Deffo would recommend the city to everyone. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:31 am 

Good call. I am sure you will both have an amazing time.

Check out Instituto Cervantes, who offer courses for those interested in Spanish online and in many cities around the world. I've taken courses given by equivalent institutes of language for other countries (Alliance Francaise for French, Dante Aligheri for Italian). Immersion is the most effective learning method, but preparation is beneficial.

Thailand's a wonderful country. I've only been north, but I've met many people who highly recommend the islands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 pm 

my apologies Mel, your post read like spam.

thanks for that Rob, I'll check them out. I totally get what you are saying about immersion being the best way but preparation being important. I'm jut starting the preparation stage of my journey.

Yeah the Thai islands look amazing. They do this cute little wedding ceremony where monks tie your heads together and pour water on your hands.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 am 
Novice
Novice

Sorry to bump this again. But my girlfriend is spanish so if you have any questions about the area around Barcelona or Spain in general, ask away

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

medic002 wrote:
Sorry to bump this again. But my girlfriend is spanish so if you have any questions about the area around Barcelona or Spain in general, ask away

Mom was born and raised in Madrid. I have family all over the country. The only suggestions I will make: learn as much of the language as you can and stumble through stilted conversation (i have yet to meet a Spaniard who will mock you for trying to speak their language, in fact they are incredibly tolerant of any attempt - unlike many other European countries) and avoid any conversations about the death penalty or abortion. Also, if you end up single after you move, the women are way hot. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:53 am 

thanks for the responses there guys. Still just plugging away trying to learn Spanish, but it's not easy what with final year at uni commitments...

As for the women being hot, I'm punching above my weight as it is! I think I'll stick with the one I've got...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm 

why don't you come to germany? we have some good beer over here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 pm 

na, not hot enough.

I do like the beer and the sausages though

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 am 

plans are still active?

my girlfriend made a1 and a2-level at the university and is hopefully getting the b1-level after this semester. she says b1 would be enough to hold serious conversations in spanish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:31 am 

ya, plans are still active. Girlfriend has decided to do a post-grad degree so that's Spain on hold for at least two years while that happens, but that gives us time to save up some money and learn Spanish anyway.

there is still paella and sangria in my future, there's just a couple of things to sort out first