ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:11 am 

robertscott wrote:
Andy you're as handsome as you are strong

Aw, how sweet!

Matt Z wrote:
...you said where you were, so there's no deception.

Aw, even sweeter!

Jebus wrote:
I doubt he does any deadlifts. Therefore, you win.

Aw, well you get the idea!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I got a hemmorhoid.

It sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a real pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:19 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Ironman wrote:
That's a real pain in the ass.

nice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 am 

I mentioned elsewhere that my son just got a new bench PR. It doesn't really matter what the number is, he worked hard for it. It's really the same as when anyone works hard to get stronger and reaches a goal, whether that goal is 100 pounds or 800 pounds, right? A good guy praises him, doesn't put him down, or suddenly make the discussion about himself.

So Sam posts on his FB profile that he got the 315. Several friends and his dad and mom congratulate him. I make a comment alluding to a friendly competition that Sam has had for years with one of his "uncles" here on the mission station where we live, whose PR is 317. So a guy jumps into the comments and says, "Let me know when you beat mine at 495."

Well, I don't know how y'all react to that, and maybe I'm just being an overprotective papa, but sounds to me like a big put-down. "Ha! Your PR ain't nothin compared to my big number." The thing is, I don't think this guy would lie, but I would guess that his 495 is a machine chest press, and probably set years ago. He is overweight and flabby. But he's a repeat volunteer doctor and big donor to our hospital, or I'd probably be more direct in my reply to him. As it is, I think I should just ignore it, but I'm tempted, really tempted. When he comes here to volunteer he never comes to the gym. In fact, his most recent time volunteering here was about his 5th, and he admitted it was the first time he had seen the gym. See is all he did. He mentioned that he had some tension bands that he was using for his travel workout, but it turned out that they were the aerobic tube type of bands. He said (with great aplomb) that he was going to donate them to the gym when he left. Gee, thanks.

So anyway. Rant over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 pm 

just ask him to post a video...

...but really it's probably just playful ball busting. In the old gym I trained at there was a good group of regulars and there was a LOT of ball busting. I would just write it off as banter until he says something snarky.

tell your son to congratulate him on the bodyweight bench press.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:35 am 

Nice rant, and congrats to your son on his PB!

btw, working and training in a commercial gym means I come across guys like that quite a lot. It's amazing the amount of monstrously strong guys I've spoken to who never seem to lift anything heavy. Yet, the guys I know who are genuinely really strong, you never hear them going on about it. In fact it's normally quite awkward when you ask, as if it's quite a personal question. There's a guy in my gym who I think probably has the biggest bench. However, I still don't know what his PB is. He's trained their as long as I have (I joined the gym about 7 years ago) and i've maybe had 4-5 conversations with him, which were very brief.

I never argue when someone hits me with wild claims of crazy strength. I just nod and smile-in-sarcastic-awe hoping they go away soon.

KPj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, I don't know how y'all react to that, and maybe I'm just being an overprotective papa, .

I have a general rule: I got to care about you to let what you say bother me.

On another note:
How can I give to your hospital?
you know, in case I want to get some more tax deductions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:06 pm 

On my way home from the gym today I saw some people breaking up a fight between a smallish, mostly-white pitbull and a large gray mutt. The owner of the pitbull shouted something and his dog ran up onto the porch where it stood by the door. Then he opened the door and the dog ran inside. Meanwhile, the mutt had to be physically restrained by a bystander after apparently knocking down the old woman who was walking it. Something to think about.

PS) It didn't seem to be a serious fight and neither dog appeared to be injured, although the old woman got up very slowly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 pm 

My thoughts: Dont be an old woman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:40 am 

I was thinking more along the lines of:

A) Don't judge a book by it's cover.
B) Training (or the lack thereof) has more effect on dog behavior than breed.
C) The mutt was lucky the fight got broken up when it did, as he nearly bit off more than he could chew.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:11 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
Well, I don't know how y'all react to that, and maybe I'm just being an overprotective papa, .

I have a general rule: I got to care about you to let what you say bother me.

On another note:
How can I give to your hospital?
you know, in case I want to get some more tax deductions.

Well, you could go to our blog, here: http://day-in-paradise.blogspot.com.au/, then scroll down a little and look on the left. There are several options there. Thanks for asking!

By the way, the blog isn't kept very up-to-date anymore, since we started our FB page.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:50 pm 

I saw a male Ring-necked Pheasant today on my way to the gym (from work). It was just standing next to the road like a fancy rooster.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:51 am 

One of my girls nailed a 36KG/80lbs Turkish Get Up yesterday.

We agreed the goal about 6 months ago, with the target of achieving it by end of October. She puts most men to shame.

Felt good. Also one of the few times in my life i've been ahead of schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 am 

Oh, my gym got one of those 45 degree leg presses. I've often been a critic of these even though I've never had a chance to train it regularly. From what i've read, it seems they don't carryover to your squat but are good for building your quads.

Yesterday, I done the following workout, basically trying to fit 2 sessions into one - Bench Press, Deadlift, Front Squat, Turkish Get ups, Pull ups. Afterwards I thought I would give the leg press ago, although I was pretty fatigued by this point.

I got up to 6 plates per side - i'm getting with the leg press lingo here. You don't measure in weight, you measure in Plates Per Side. Never understood this before but I do now. There seems to be no point in adding (or removing) anything less than a 20KG plate per side on this. I'm not sure if 6 plates per side is good or not. I kept the reps at 8, started one plate per side, and just kept adding a plate per side and doing sets of 8 until I felt I hit a rough 8RM.

I was tempted to just keep adding to it and bring the rep range down. I can see why it gets called an ego lift. Adding all those plates is fun and definitely appeals to me. I want to get them to a point where I need to add plates on top of it because I've ran out of room on the sides but, I don't know how I would measure load in that case because loading at the top isn't really the "side" and I don't think my mind could cope with that.

Whether it's actually any use or not remains to be seen but, it's definitely fun.

One issue i've had and seen covered here is the lower back. I tried to keep a good ROM but, as the weight got heavier I could feel pressure and discomfort in the lower back. Also, I guess because i'm quite light, when it's heavy my body wants to slide off the seat, despite the angle of the seat which would think prevents that. I can fix this by gripping and pulling on the handles, though. My lower back did hurt a little after this session which never happens with me. I think i'll need to keep the ROM short which means only one thing - more plates!

KPj

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226 ... 265  Next