ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I went through and typed all of my logs into a database. I was going to do everything from my first day, but when I looked at the logs from Aug 2010 -- 3 kinds of curls each day -- I said, "um, think i'll skip ahead a bit."

Then I plotted the effective 1RM based on the top set on any particular day, using this common formula (also used by Wendler, though I don't think he created it)

Effective 1RM = Weight * (1 + Reps/33)

This is not about obsessing over 1RM, it is about finding a way to compare ability on top sets regardless of reps. The formula lets you compare a 3 rep top set to a 7 rep top set.

Anyway, for Press and Bench, post Stronglifts, my absolute best progress on Bench and Press occurred over a 3-cycle period on 5/3/1 when i dropped all accessories (except rowing of course) and just did the pause variations recommended by Kenny Croxdale. For bench, this meant pushing up off the pins, so there is no help from the stretch effect, pausing at the sticking point for a count of 4, and completing the rep. On Press there are no pins but the idea is the same. At the time my friend Matt was still working out with me and he said they liked like "the Devil's sets."

The next chapter of the story is not so happy, where this progress was stopped by a shoulder injury that caused me to suspend pressing for awhile. But even though the injury is long since healed (though you are never the same again), I have always wondered if those pause variations could have contributed to or even caused the injury. I now believe not, that the injury was caused by my tendency to "go loose" or simply not stay tight enough. I just really did not know how gol-darn important it is to stay absolutely tight.

At any rate, I am now firmly convinced that A) the pause variations did not contribute to the injury and B) they were the best assistance exercise I ever did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 pm 

Great insight Ken. I'm sure we could all learn something from our logs if we put the same kind of analysis into it.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you got side tracked.

When did you make the most progress for Squats and Deads ?

and curls.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:42 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
you got side tracked.

When did you make the most progress for Squats and Deads ?

and curls.

Deads: some time after i began with a trainer

Squats: after deads, when I realized I was afraid of squats and got over it.

Curls: Oh, I responded to an Oscar post. Oh well.