ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:46 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _every_day

In his first point, he says that "maxing on squats every day" actually means "Here, the daily max is a weight that you can move without mental arousal (no death metal and ammonia) and without any aberration from perfect form."

I'm fascinated by these arguments. Don't see myself doing it anytime soon, but i gotta wonder...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm 

I did that over the winter. In reality it worked out to about 4 times a week but every workout started with squats. I actually hit PRs while doing that. Since April, I've been really inconsistant with my working out since I haven't been in one place long enough, ut I still start every workout with squats.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yeah it's a weird weigthlifting trick. Zatsiorsky has spoken about this training max in his book, Science and Practice of Strength Training. Training max differs lots from the competitive max. Like said in the article, training max goes only on weigths that don't stress or intimidate you greatly. Zatsiorsky liked to refer to you heart rate/pulse, as it would tell them amount of stress you are in. If it rises lots before the lift, the weigth is too heavy. Simple. I thought of trying this squat every day thing out some day, maybe in the beginning of the year.

(Olympic) Weightlifting in general is very fascinating. The local WL club trains in the same gym I do, and roughly around the same times too. Only that they often lift twice a day. Quite heavily sometimes too. Not much higher rep work on the big lifts, but lots and lots of sets, and shorter workouts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

KenDowns wrote:
In his first point, he says that "maxing on squats every day" actually means "Here, the daily max is a weight that you can move without mental arousal (no death metal and ammonia) and without any aberration from perfect form."

Yeah, it's strength training as practice, not strength training as straining against the weight. You only train as hard as you can with perfect form, and get better at doing that lift. It's especially useful for folks doing a sport centered around lifts - powerlifting and weightlifting - because you just get better. The lack of a daily grind-down means you're not straining so hard that you'll outpace your recovery.

In a lot of ways, this is what runners do - go out, hit some miles, hit more tomorrow, too, get better at running. Don't sprint yourself into the dirt and take a day off, but just run all the time and improve. Ideally, martial arts training is the same - do all the good kicks/good punches/good triangle chokes you've got in you today, don't do any sloppy ones, and go home. Come back when you've rested. Over time, the number of good ones will go up even if day to day it varies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 am 

I'm really interested in trying this. I wouldn't be able to every day but could 4-5 times per week.