ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm 

emil3m wrote:
My comment above was in response to what you said before the edit. Just in case it's confusing.

It's hard to estimate how much caffeine there is in two cups. Too many variables. It can be as low as 100mg or as high as 300mg. Coffee is awesome and it helps at work. I have 2 cups daily on a consistent basis. Even weekends.

Is there a point to still take creatine?

No problem. I have a bad habit of writing stuff, then changing my mind.

That article called high caffeine 450g. I don't think 2 cups would count as high but they don't really define it well. Maybe that's why I never had much effect from creatine.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It's an old topic I know, but I just noticed something that I found a bit odd today. Kenny C. was talking about how maybe creatine isn't needed every day, that only a couple of grams post workout would do well enough. Now I'm thinking this might have a base.

I was ill for 5 days. Like flu and small fever and such. Also I ran out of creatine last week. Did two high intensity workouts without creatine. Today was the third. Now, after five days of being ill, on low-carb approach, doing nothing, and being without supplement creatine for a week with two hard ass workouts behind me, I still made a new PR on 5RM Front Squats. What? I mean, I only backloaded small amounts of carbs (100-150g max) yesterday so I won't slug today, and had some pre workout shake with carbs and protein.

The point is that I was on a metabolic disturbance of a disease, haven't even fully recovered yet, didn't have the usual 5g a day of creatine for a week, and still pull a PR with one or two reps left in the tank. This is against almost everything I try to understand. Maybe I should really try to take like 3-5g only post workout to see if there really is a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 am 

There's a lot of factors at play there. I agree, most people take more creatine than they need. The other factors are that the rest from being sick may have allowed a supercompensation and the other factor is that the fever may have actually helped. I've heard of atheles taking advantage of this to peak their performance. I'm sorry I can't find a reference to this.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:09 am 

I haven't had any creatine for a few weeks and haven't noticed any difference. Maybe I will if I start up again, cba with the loading phase though.