ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Virgil, does every citizen in Israel have to do military service? Like 1 or 2 years? If so, can you purchase a fire-arm before joining the military?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:23 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"Assault rifles are usually owned by guys who served in the military (and still do as a reservist) and serve as a volunteer guard for small towns. This basically means that they usually have their rifles on them and if need be, they'd use them. So they already know what they're doing with the weapon and not in need of a course. Not sure but I would guess they also need check-ups every so often." - Virgil Starkwell

Doesn't anyone shoot for fun in Israel?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 pm 

Also, what's the purpose of limiting a person to 50-rounds of amunition? How is this enforced?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:31 pm 

PS) PA gun laws are actually LESS complicated than many US states, since the state constitution forbids local governments from passing their own gun laws.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good point. Some gun laws are really useless, and some that would be a good idea are frequently absent. Some of Israels laws on guns are a little strict for my tastes, but I think some of them are a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:42 am 
n00b
n00b

There are people who like to shoot for fun, Matt, and I'm one of them; however, it's no so cheap. I have a special discount and it costs me NIS 100 (currently $25) to shoot 50 rounds at the range. They know me there and their English is pretty good. When I walk in, they always say, "You here to shoot?" I say yes and then they say "When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk."

Why 50 rounds? I never asked but I suppose it's for the same reason that there's a one gun limit. You can only shoot in a range and you can only buy bullets at a range, so that's how 50 remains 50.

Aren't codes (or enforcement thereof) in Philly different from other PA counties? I've read of a lot of confusion regarding carrying in the city if one's license is from say, Bucks County.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:11 am 

Philadelphia has tried repeatedly to pass it's own (illegal) gun control laws. These laws violate the state constitution and are inevitably shot down in court which wastes more taxpayer money. Also, anyone who gets arrested for violating a city firearms ordinance can sue the city for false arrest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 am 

The one gun limit seems pretty extreme. Different firearms serve different purposes and you wouldn't use the same gun to hunt ducks (shotgun) as you would for concealed carry (handgun). Also, rimfire rifles and handguns are much more affordable to shoot (about $15 for 500-550 rounds of 22LR) and a lot of fun (low noise and recoil), but not well suited to self defense.

I don't imagine there's much big game in Israel, but there must be some rabbits, gamebirds, etc.

Only being able to buy ammo at a shooting range might explain the high prices. Meanwhile, with so much desert around Israel I'm surprised there aren't more places you can legally shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 pm 

Durring the lead-up to the election Obama mensioned the possibility of a new Assault Weapons Ban. Needless to say he didn't give specifics. Still this raises an interesting question. ... What the heck is an assault weapon?

An assault rifle is a select-fire military weapon combining the firepower of a submachine gun with greater range and accuracy. For example, the M-16, AK-47, AKM, AK-74 and Galil are all assault rifles. Many of these rifles have semi-auto only civilian versions, which are not technically assault rifles, although they're often confused with the real thing.

"Assault Weapon" meanwhile is a term created by politicians. This is problematic, since no one can seem to agree on a definition. In fact, I've seen everything from belt-fed machine guns to sawed-off shotguns and double-action revolvers refered to as assault weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:02 pm 

I've also heard talk of a ban on "inexpensive handguns." Presumedly this includes anything that I can afford, although it doesn't seem likely that many gun control laws will get passed with the current makeup of congress. Maybe just empty campaign promisses?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 am 

I've found that too much caffeine interferes with this. For competition, you can take small doses of beta blockers. I don't know if that is contrary to any rules or not, but it makes you a little steadier. Other than that, good control requires practice. The old procedure of taking a deep breath, letting it about half-way out then holding while steadily squeezing the trigger has stood the test of time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baloney.

I would have to see a clip of that to believe it. Obama never brings the subject up.

All these scare tactics are designed to do is make gun owners panic, so they vote Republican, and more importantly stockpile ammo. The price of the ammo then continues to go up. It's nothing but a scam to fleece gun owners.

We heard this same story 4 years ago, and nothing happened, except prices going up.

Purple states have a lot of gun owners, so even if any Democrats wanted to do that, they never would.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:19 pm 

If it's a scam, Obama must be in on it. He made reference to a new assault weapon ban durring the debates. Suposedly it was also on Obama's website.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm 

Maybe he wants to stimulate the economy by increasing gun sales.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:29 pm 

http://now.msn.com/funny-store-signs-photo-gallery
This album of funny store signs has a couple that are gun-related. My favorite is "Guns welcome on premises. Please keep guns holstered unless need arises. In such case judicious marksmanship is appreciated."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next