ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6411
Location: Halifax, NS
KenDowns wrote:
...
If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.


I often wondered about the safety of this strategy. I generally never use straps for farmers walks but I have in the past. If you're walking with a weight that is too much for your grip and you start to fatique, what fails first and what happens next? You can't drop the bar quickly. Are you risking injury doing this?

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:10 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
grip fails me first on farmers walks, RDLs, and OH grip dls.

I'm working on it

I wont use straps


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1349
Location: New York, USA
stuward wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
...
If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.


I often wondered about the safety of this strategy. I generally never use straps for farmers walks but I have in the past. If you're walking with a weight that is too much for your grip and you start to fatique, what fails first and what happens next? You can't drop the bar quickly. Are you risking injury doing this?


My thought, and I have not tried it yet, is that if I can maintain a completely upright posture but the bars are slipping with a few feet to go, I'd prefer to be able to finish. Or so I'm thinking now. Who knows, maybe grip will not become an issue?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
KenDowns wrote:
Back to the original question, I use gloves outside when doing farmers walks, or anything else where I'd have to grab a freezing cold metal bar.

If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.

If I started failing at anything because of grip, I'd start training grip. Actually, I already train grip, but if you have trouble with your grip, train your grip.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 am 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
Jungledoc wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
Back to the original question, I use gloves outside when doing farmers walks, or anything else where I'd have to grab a freezing cold metal bar.

If I start failing the walks because of grip, I would use straps.

If I started failing at anything because of grip, I'd start training grip. Actually, I already train grip, but if you have trouble with your grip, train your grip.

word.

but I understand the rationale of the other side


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Oscar, you must have done a stealth delete. Waddid you say?

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
Jungledoc wrote:
Oscar, you must have done a stealth delete. Waddid you say?


Why do you think I deleted something ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Because what you posted made no sense as it is. I assumed that anything you posted would make perfect sense, therefore, you must have intended to say more.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 am 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
makes sense to me.

:razz:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group