ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm 

So of the 5 Metabolic Syndrome markers, HDL is the same, still too low, Triglycerides got worse, BP got worse, Glucose got worse and waist size probably stayed about the same.

What's your plan for this year? You can't continue in this direction.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

my plan should be to stick to plans

If one can plan to be more disciplined, then I would
It's not like I lack the knowledge.

I tend to think folks going down my path don't care much for living anyway. But, I do like most of life. There are problems, but nothing compared to what many gladly endure, without resorting to "sucide by diet." If I could solve my propensity to underachieve, we'd have something.

On the one hand I'll work 30 hours staight to resolve an issue at work, but not spend the time it takes to get thru the last courses to get accredited as an Actuary. I make a comfortable enough living and lack motivation.

the psyco-babble does little for my health though

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Oh Ozzy, this thread makes me sad.

Why do you think you eat so badly? Serious question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

To side step the question for now, I believe I eat about the same amount of crap as I did when I “looked” healthier, except now I also eat more protein, vegetables, fruit, in addition. Since I’m much fatter than I was 20 years ago, and older, and less active generally, the metabolism is not cooperating. I know Dub and all of you keep saying Diet >>>>> Exercise for fat loss. I have never ever been anything but weak, so the motivation to lift and eat too much (justified by me) comes more easily.

At a basic level. I love food. I love all sorts of food. I can count on 3 fingers foods I won’t eat. My wife never cooks and stays overweight as well. Eating together, maybe even staying fat together, helps keep the façade? Peace? in place. I don’t know. Deep inside, I’d say to really get serious about my health, I have to remove the concerns about “will there be resentment from me/her?”.

There is more to it than lacking discipline. I don’t take the easy way out in all aspects. Answering why I gorged on French fries yesterday along with a loaded burger+buns, comes down to either lying to myself about the effects, or being more content with loser-dome than success. I cant explain it rationally.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm 

"I believe I eat about the same amount of crap as I did when I “looked” healthier, except now I also eat more protein, vegetables, fruit, in addition."

You know the problem is "in addition". You're supposed to cut the crap when you add the healthier.

Maybe you need to speak to your wife and work on this together. Resolve to cut out processed foods, vegetable oils, sugars and grains. Learn to cook and enjoy yourselves. Do it together, make new traditions.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I have tried.
She feels like more of a loser than I ever have. I probably contributed to that years ago, but have turned that around. Whereas my doldrums lasted 6 yrs, hers have been 9 or so. Even as a young'n, she never really worked for anything. She cares about other people. That's her "gift". We struggle with co-dependence in our relationship.

Counseling had temporary benefits. Overall we communicate well, laugh a lot together, and generally enjoy each others company. We know our chances to have children are quickly fading and that adds tension. She gets sad, and really won't discuss plans because, like me, she has let people (herself mainly) down too often.

You have the answer, I just need to do my part and be prepared to hold strong if she does not come along. For she will say "yes, you should eat what you want, Dont' wory about me. I can fend for myself and eat much of the same things you cook." Can I take her at her word.

It took a while before I stopped using her as an excuse for why I couldn't stick with an exrcise program (resenting that I was trying to improve and she wasn't). I'd say while I am happier than I was before starting the weight lifting, its been neutral for the relationship. Likewise, I'm tying my diet to our relationship and in our case that is counter-productive, it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm 

stuward wrote:
Maybe you need to speak to your wife and work on this together. Resolve to cut out processed foods, vegetable oils, sugars and grains. Learn to cook and enjoy yourselves. Do it together, make new traditions.

this is what's up. Tell her the new health screening scared you and you want to do it for you both.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:34 pm 

The trigycerides/5 is an estimate of VLDL cholesterol, (very low density lipoprotein). Those three components (HDL, LDL and VLDL) account for most of our cholesterol. Apparently VLDL is harder to measure, but since it's quite proportional to tryg, this is what's usually done. A measured VLDL can be done on special request, but I guess it costs a lot.