ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training for stamina
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 am 

Hi all,

Been awhile since I posted here. Still been keeping at it with moderate weightlifting, but have pretty much dropped most forms of "stamina" (I prefer the term over cardio).

But a situation arose last weekend that made me question what I've been doing, exercise wise, over the last year or so. I went with a group of people went to one of those arcade/restaurant places and I had drank a few beers of course, and decided to play the dancing game with the arrows, called colloquially "DDR". And then I realized after the first song...I am out of shape! I felt as though I literally burst a lung or something the next day!

So anyways, this is forcing me to rethink things. I still want to strength train, but want to add some stamina training as well. Also this might work out as a side effect of wanting to play tennis more when it warms up (which in of itself might be part of the training I guess). The thing is- I don't WANT to get back into long distance running by any means, maybe a mile or two with the dog. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me? I do want to mention a few execeptions...

- I want it to be outdoors only, I don't want to spend any more time in basements or gyms than I have to
- I do not want to do sprints. I always seem to pull hammys with sprints in the past no matter how much I've warmed up beforehand

I have a few ideas. First biking, cause me and my GF both can get into it. But I was wondering if jumping jacks/jump ropes is good over long term or is it just too intense to be doing while weightlifting? Or other ideas in general? Especially "fun" ones...! I'm already thinking of busting back out my hacky sacks...

Post subject: Re: Training for stamina
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 am 

imo there are only the two possibilities, which you both don't like. you do long distance runs or you do something like running 70-90 metres in 15 seconds, then rest 15 seconds and then again run 700-100m in 15 seconds, and so on. cycling will only improve stamina, if you do it for many hours.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am 

or you could do some kind of circuit training. that would be neither a long run, nor sprinting!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:52 am 

I wouldn't so much mind the shorter distance training that isn't flat out sprints, maybe 75%- 85% intensity is ok for me to do on a regular basis. Also, things involving my dog (like short things like that) would be great suggestions so we both get a workout. She loves fetch- and she loves it more when I throw the ball and then run the other way. LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Those dance thingys aren't really steady state cardio either. Atleast when it's hardcore
Everything involving getting sweat and slight exhaustion is the exercise you need. It reaches all the way to the point you need the rest to catch your breath. Increasing endurance or VO2max or similar is relatively easy. Just get your heart rate up. Go bike, swim, rollerblade, anything. Do a shorter distance run, something. Then there's the jump ropes and all kind of cardio circuit fun like jumping and bodyweigth exercises. Those can be done in the woods and streets and parks as well. The world is your playground, use it anyway you like. Just make sure you get your heart rate a bit up. Isn't bad if it rises alot. Go walk and run and play with the dog. Be active. It's no rocket science. Any exercise will only be a plus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Long time no see/post!

What's your current training like? "moderate weightlifting" makes me think you're probably not getting as much out of your strength training as you could be. Let me elaborate.

I got lazy whilst injured. Still trained but lost my spark. As I started getting back to the heavy stuff, one thing really dawned on me - I was "unfit". Sounds silly, coming from someone who's primary goal is to lift heavy stuff, but it's not. I looked back at pre-injury training logs and couldn't believe how much I used to get done in one session. I wasn't even getting half as much "work" done per session. I lost the fire in my belly and just went through the motions.

Fact is, you need to be "fit" to be strong. If not, you'll hit a wall with your strength. This could potentially be less important if you could train for 3 hours each session but, I doubt it and, who can do that anyway?

Even on the westside site, the elite end of the lifting-heavy-things-spectrum, there's a lot of info and importance placed on "GPP".

The fitter lifter will get more volume in over the same time frame as the unfit lifter. More quality sets, more sets with heavier weights, more volume on assistance exercises. Just more of what they need simply because they are fitter and can recover quicker between sets, work up to heavier weights with less rest, etc.

The same workload done in less time at the very least makes you more efficient and at the most, allows you to get either more assistance, corrective stuff, active recovery stuff, or dare i say, some dedicated conditioning.

I honestly do twice the workload now in the same time when compared to the beginning of the year.

Anyway, failing that, just add a conditioner at the end of the work out. I like circuits with things like - Goblet Squats, Smashes, Swings, Renegade Rows, repeat until death.

You could also just tweak your variables to make your resistance training more cardio focused. For example, pair upper and lower body exercises, such as squats with a press, alternating between them, keeping rest short.

When I speak to people who can't get out of the all too black-and-white mindset that "weights = strength and muscle, cardio = cycling and running", I make them do DB rows with DB step ups with no rest and they see the point almost instantly.

You can get whatever you want out of your "weight lifting", you just need to do it. Your heart and lungs don't know whether your squatting, running, doing cartwheels, skipping or dancing, all they need to do is work hard and often if you want to get fitter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm 

10 sets of 10 squats, minute rest in between. If you get 10 reps on all sets then you went to heavy.

That'll shed the pounds off ya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:06 am 
Novice
Novice

Join a boxing club if you have an interest of course, where you will do a mixture of weights and cardio...best all round fitness training you can do IMO. Although if you cant sprint without pulling a hamstring then maybe its not for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 pm 

Thanx for the advice all. I'm taking all of it under advisement.

To KPJ- What I meant by moderate weightlifting is easing up on volume, not really intensity. Also I lowered the amount of reps to 5 on my heavy set, and not 8 to 10 like I used to do. I only do 2 exercises per weightlifting session as well, as opposed to the 5 I used too. To be honest I felt I spent too much time in the weightroom, and by doing what I do now I am only in there for 20-30 mins, 3 times a week. Been working out as I feel I have more energy than I did before.

I'm sorta trying what's been suggested though, but taking a bodyweight approach. I did 2 circuits of with no rest inbetween of push ups, jumping jacks, bodyweight squats, mountain climbers, planks, burpees, and walking lunges, but I did them BEFORE my session today. Man I certainly felt it! Really got the heart pumping. I'm gonna give it a try for the next couple of weeks and see what happens. Also keeping up with the biking/walking/hiking on off days, to stay active, but not go nuts on my off days from weightlifting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 am 

matthewmccaw wrote:
Join a boxing club if you have an interest of course, where you will do a mixture of weights and cardio...best all round fitness training you can do IMO. Although if you cant sprint without pulling a hamstring then maybe its not for you.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Rucifer wrote:
I went with a group of people went to one of those arcade/restaurant places and I had drank a few beers of course, and decided to play the dancing game with the arrows, called colloquially "DDR". And then I realized after the first song...I am out of shape! I felt as though I literally burst a lung or something the next day!

Try dancing (without getting plastered first) as an exercise. If you don't wake hurting the next day you would have gained fitness. Then you can get plastered in good conscience. :cheers:

Chances are that you're in better shape than you think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am 

Well an update...over the past two weeks I've been doing a little more training for stamina (bodyweight circuits, some "standard" cardio like biking and swimming, and harder runs with the dog) and have already felt a marked improvement in an overall fitness level. Perhaps it was just "shaking off the dust" so to speak, but going to try to balance the weight and stamina for the time being without letting working out consume my life. Thanks again for the advice all