ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi there guys, I was wondering, do traps get involved on rear delt flyes/face pulls? If so, how can I reduce how much they get involved to make sure the rear delts do most of the work?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Use weight that is light enough that you are ashamed for anybody to see. That keeps the traps out of it.

It's amazing how this works. You can load up a bunch of weight, do 20 reps and never feel a burn. Cut the weight by half, and after 15 reps your rear delts will be on fire and you'll have to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

on rear delt flyes, try shortening your ROM a bit. If you come up too far you'll be bringing a lot of upper back musculature in, so keep the reps small.

So small ROM, and obscenely high reps, like 20-30. Trust me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:35 am 

Small ROM really? I can see the logic but it just doesn't feel right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 am 

ya, at the top of the movement my arms are like the bottom position of a fly, if that makes sense.

before I started doing them like that I NEVER felt lactic acid in my rear delts, now I get it so bad that I have to shut my eyes and go to my happy place

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Rear delt laterals are one of the exercises done incorrectly by most lifters. It really helped me having someone knowledgeable check out my form and correct my mistakes.

This site's write-up of rear delt flies (dumbbell variety) is here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:01 am 

Ok I agree. I normally go as far back as possible (same with flys) so my elbows are really high. I stopped about perpendicular this time and felt it a lot more on my rear delts. I think it's because it's constant tension, going further back brings the traps in and gives the rear delts a break.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Nevage wrote:
Ok I agree. I normally go as far back as possible (same with flys) so my elbows are really high. I stopped about perpendicular this time and felt it a lot more on my rear delts. I think it's because it's constant tension, going further back brings the traps in and gives the rear delts a break.

This expresses it well. When your elbows travel back behind your shoulders the rear delts get a break. If find the sensations very confusing when I forget and pull too far back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am 

Nevage wrote:

you just stick with me young Nevage, I'll keep you right

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stephen Johnson wrote:
Rear delt laterals are one of the exercises done incorrectly by most lifters. It really helped me having someone knowledgeable check out my form and correct my mistakes.

This site's write-up of rear delt flies (dumbbell variety) is here.

The finishing position is different on both the picture and the animation? I'm still confused on correct form for maximising rear delt work.

I've taken on board the low weight advice, using 2,3,4kg doing 20-30 reps and 3/4sets. However I still am confused on form....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

stharrison wrote:
The finishing position is different on both the picture and the animation? I'm still confused on correct form for maximising rear delt work.

Ooops! The animation next to the text is performing a bent over row, not a rear delt fly. The upper arm bone is moving back, not outward.

FWIW, take a look at this:

exrx.net wrote:
Comments

Dumbbells are raised by shoulder transverse abduction, not external rotation, nor extention. Upper arm should travel in perpendicular path to torso to minimize relatively powerful latissimus dorsi involvement. This mean at top of movement, elbows (not necessarily dumbbells) should be directly lateral to shoulders since elbows are slightly bent forward. To exercise posterior deltoid and not lateral deltoid, keep upper torso close to horizontal. Positioning upper torso at 45° is not sufficient angle to target rear deltoids. The spine can be flexed to achive this positioning if thighs can provide sufficient support for torso. Some individuals may not be able to bend sufficiently at hip due to flexibility or girth constraints. Also see Rear Lateral Raise Errors and Low Back Alignment Exceptions.