ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: my back pain journey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Doc,

After you posted you DL form, did you change it?

Yep. Now I can't post the corrected version, at least not direct to Youtube.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 am 

robertscott wrote:
Andy you should definitely get Athletic Body in Balance, otherwise everything you do'll just be guesswork.

Got it, just need to do it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Matt Z wrote:
Even rowing at a 45-degree angle (pulling to the waist)?

especially at 45 degree angle, that's where I'm weakest. My back hates being loaded in that position

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 am 

KPj wrote:
I think you will be able to deadlift eventually. But you need to clean up ASLR first, which will give you back your toe-touch.

You need to think of ASLR as if you would a bodyweight squat and BB squatting. The relationship is that significant. If you can't ASLR then you will not achieve a good posterior weight shift so heaving heavy things off the ground is always going to pull you forward into flexion because you can't efficiently pull the weight back into the body and do so primarily via hip extension.

I think this is why you are comfortable with a lot of turn out at your foot and a closer stance when squatting. Front squats are more quad dominant anyway so it's not a big issue.

I probably could of spent an hour just working on your ASLR. The PNF tricks started to give you the ROM so it is mostly a stability issue. I think achieving hip extension/glute activation with a "short foot" is what would be needed after regaining the ROM. Then doing some work on basic single leg deadlift movements and basic hip hinge drills.

(I know this is late, btw, but better late than never eh).

For an ASLR corrective when having your issue I really like bands. Loop a band around one foot but then raise both legs up to ~90degrees. Then you hold the leg with the band but lower the free leg slowly. The more you lower the more you feel the UP leg struggle. The band allows some wiggle room. Found a decent video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rgkr8piuU

An example of correcting that would be starting with the leg lowering, then do some glute bridging. However with your glute bridging I would regress to 2 feet at a time but with a band around your knees and concentrating on keeping the correct foot position. Then onto some Dowel-hip-hinging then a single leg DL movement.

I never got the chance to go into it much but when you're trying to find new ROM really focus on your breathing. When you feel you've hit your ROM limit, take a deep belly breath through the nose and exhale slowly whilst trying to move a little further. 2-3 good breaths normally makes a nice difference. This will seem like nonesense but it genuinely does work like magic. In fact I would bet your tspine extension/rotation would open right up with some good breathing drills before and during it.

cheers for that KPj, I will start doing the leg lowering thing tonight and keep doing it every day. Thanks for posting that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 am 

man I tried that leg lowering that and it was REALLY uncomfortable.

Also felt like I could easily lower my leg all the way down. Is that not a bit weird?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:51 am 

robertscott wrote:
man I tried that leg lowering that and it was REALLY uncomfortable.

Also felt like I could easily lower my leg all the way down. Is that not a bit weird?

The band gives the up leg some lee-way. Also, isn't it funny how you can get the ROM in reverse and with a little help (stability) from a band?

Remember that ROM should be "effortless".... not "REALLY uncomfortable". Also, remember you are capable of the ROM in terms of flexibility, otherwise the PNF tricks wouldn't of worked (or you wouldn't be able to get your leg all the way down!). All these do is trick your brain in telling your hamstrings to chill out/relax! The PNF stuff with a little more time would of taken you from a 1 to a 2. But it would only be a temporary fix. It's the message that's important - you need to find the stability your lacking to be able to complete the movement. Hopefully the correctives done often enough will first make the ROM effortless then make the change permanent.

When you have an effortless 2 on ASLR I bet your toe touch will change.

One caution is to watch for your lower back over arching as you lower the leg. If you think this is happening, try and note the point it happens and limit ROM to that point.

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:53 am 

hmm ok I'll persevere. I don't have a band, I use my belt!

So my increased ROM is ok because the band (belt) is fooling my brain?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 am 

robertscott wrote:
hmm ok I'll persevere. I don't have a band, I use my belt!

So my increased ROM is ok because the band (belt) is fooling my brain?

Belt is fine. I like the version where one leg is up on the wall or door way with the other leg lowering,too. I just don't always have that option.

These things are always fooling the brain. The brain controls everything. If you can't get a movement, it's the brains fault. So to re-gain the movement, you need to get the brain to change how it programs the movement. This is where all these little tricks come into play.

I wouldn't really say the increased ROM is "ok" because of the belt, I would say it's "possible" because of the belt. The belt is essentially a crutch. Your task is to make it possible without the belt. It'll get more comfortable, then you'll be able to do it with no belt and palms flat on the floor actively pushing into the ground (this fires up your core, again forcing stability). Then you'll just be able to do it!

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am 

thanks a bunch as always Kenny.

Next time I'm in the scheme I'm buying you a steak!