ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I was all ready to go vegan
Then I remebered bacon was from Pigs.
And Pigs are animals.
Delicious animals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ephs wrote:
for example, you often hear vegans have more overall fitness and more energy

You hear it primarily from vegans who are into evangelization for their lifestyle. Not exactly an objective source. Color me cynical. But your personal experience with veganism could prove me wrong. Some people do well on vegan diets, some people need meat.

JasonJones wrote:
When I switched back to an omnivore diet — and my reasons were personal, not fitness based — I didn't notice any real change in performance. And I went straight for the steak, too. Dietary changes that have improved my performance have been independent of the vegetarian/omnivore choice; things like eating more and a greater variety of vegetables, eating less processed food, getting a handle on my crippling addiction to sweets. The kinds of things that tend to be universally effective.

I also dabbled with vegetarianism back in the 1980s, after reading the book Diet For a Small Planet, and getting into a relationship with a woman who was a heavy duty vegetarian. We went our separate ways, and my commitment to vegetarianism lapsed. The importance of eating fruits and veggies remained - but you don't have to give up animal protein to eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I was all ready to go vegan
Then I remebered bacon was from Pigs.
And Pigs are animals.
Delicious animals.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 am 

still not sure how much soy per day is okay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

my moobs tell me it really doesnt matter

I eat very little soy intentionally

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:33 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ephs wrote:
still not sure how much soy per day is okay.

You'll have to have some source of supplemental protein. Consuming the quantity of protein from vegan whole food sources that bodybuilders recommend is very, very difficult.

Most of the vegans that I've known claim that the need for protein is overstated. But they tend to be into endurance training, not weight lifting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:40 pm 

yes, i already found some good portein supplements. and what do you think of seitan?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ephs wrote:
and what do you think of seitan?

Wheat protein - an excellent source of l-glutamine (an important amino acid in post exercise recovery), but overrall a lower quality protein source. The gluten that makes up wheat protein is also a common allergen. A lot of vegans are jumping on the gluten-free bandwagon for that reason.

And not just vegans are going gluten-free. Many of the members of this board are on paleo diets, which eliminate grains from consumption. I haven't gone all the way there yet, but cutting down on cereals has made managing my weight easier - something that I appreciate as I approach age 60 :eek:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 am 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
ephs wrote:
and what do you think of seitan?

Wheat protein - an excellent source of l-glutamine (an important amino acid in post exercise recovery), but overrall a lower quality protein source. The gluten that makes up wheat protein is also a common allergen. A lot of vegans are jumping on the gluten-free bandwagon for that reason.

And not just vegans are going gluten-free. Many of the members of this board are on paleo diets, which eliminate grains from consumption. I haven't gone all the way there yet, but cutting down on cereals has made managing my weight easier - something that I appreciate as I approach age 60 :eek:

damn, seitan sounded like the best substitute for soy...high on protein, low on calories and tastes a bit like meat. so, i think the only option to reach 1g protein per lbs with a plant based diet is to maybe drink 100g of rice or pea-protein shakes. what do you think about pea-protein powder?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 am 

Have you tried spirulina? It's sold as a supplement but in the third world it's grown for food. It's 70% protein.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 am 

stuward wrote:
Have you tried spirulina? It's sold as a supplement but in the third world it's grown for food. It's 70% protein.

yeah, i know it. some vegans take it to get enough vitamin b12 and iron. but i think it's more expensive than pea-protein.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ephs wrote:
i think the only option to reach 1g protein per lbs with a plant based diet is to maybe drink 100g of rice or pea-protein shakes

Why not combine the two?

Quote:
Pea protein is often combined with rice protein to achieve a superior amino acid profile than either protein alone. Pea protein is low in the sulfurous amino acids (cysteine and methionine) but rich in lysine; in contrast, rice protein is deficient in lysine but has high levels of both cysteine and methionine. The combination of rice and pea protein (RPP) also helps mitigate the strong, chalky taste of rice protein on its own. This combination is considered by many to be among the best tasting protein powders.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 pm 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
ephs wrote:
i think the only option to reach 1g protein per lbs with a plant based diet is to maybe drink 100g of rice or pea-protein shakes

Why not combine the two?

Quote:
Pea protein is often combined with rice protein to achieve a superior amino acid profile than either protein alone. Pea protein is low in the sulfurous amino acids (cysteine and methionine) but rich in lysine; in contrast, rice protein is deficient in lysine but has high levels of both cysteine and methionine. The combination of rice and pea protein (RPP) also helps mitigate the strong, chalky taste of rice protein on its own. This combination is considered by many to be among the best tasting protein powders.

combining is a very good option!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:41 pm 

Hey all. Been awhile since i posted here, so thought i would check in and was pleasantly suprised to find this post - since i have just finished up a year on a strict vegan diet. As some of you know, i had a heart attack about 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 36 - which lead to a lot of tests that pointed out some other underlying problems and long story short i was advised to make a switch to the vegan diet. And i did. It was a lot easier than i thought and frankly, it was the best decision i have ever made. I feel a lot better overall and have noticed a marked improvement in my health. I was borderline diabetic. No more. My bad cholesterol levels were 3x the max level. No more - they are 1/2 the max now. My good cholesterol levels were 1/2 of the minimum. No more - they are at 1 1/2 the min now. IBS - GONE. I don't need to take a nap after meals any more - in fact i can eat any time i want, as much as i want. Energy levels are way up. Sleep better. Endurance is hugely improved. And...

My lifts have not suffered one bit. In fact, they have actually improved when you consider that my body weight has dropped to 165lbs from 210'ish when i made the switch. Both my wife and i were shocked at how much weight i dropped, because to look at me before, you wouldn't guess that there was that much to lose! But hey, wifey likes, that's a good thing... ;)

I don't and never have taken supplements - don't believe in them.

The truth is, you don't need to eat anything from an animmal to work out like one or make gains.
In fact - if you want to improve your health, DON'T eat anything from from an animal and then WORK OUT LIKE ONE.

I realize that this may work for me, not others, but i thought i'd chime in having lived on both diets.

It has been nothing but a positive learning experience for me and i highly recommend it.

Nuff said - now to regain my crown as the exrx 1 arm lift challenge - any takers? I say we score it this time around as % of body weight... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm 

Good to see you back Hoister and I'm glad to see your health has improved.

I'm just curious if you've made any changes with regard to grains, sugar, vegetable oils, processed, junk or fast foods?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 am 

thanks for telling your experiences and nice to hear the vegan diet helped you. now the question of all questions: do you eat soy? :grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next