ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am 

stuward wrote:
Good to see you back Hoister and I'm glad to see your health has improved.

I'm just curious if you've made any changes with regard to grains, sugar, vegetable oils, processed, junk or fast foods?

I stick to whole grains and they are a staple in my diet.
No sugars other than what occurs naturally in fruits and veggies for example. No sweets or candy, etc.
Vegetable oil, olive oil, peanut oil - i do use in recipes, but sparingly.
Junk food and fast food are all no-no's for me. Never really have liked them. When i snack, it has always been using nuts, seeds, fruits, etc. So junk food has never really been an issue for me.

My eating habits are simple. I eat only when i am hungry and let my body tell me when it needs something. I tend to crave things that i need from what i can tell, so i literally go with my gut! I eat only enough to satisfy my physical needs. I have never been one to count grams of this and grams of that. I just go with what feels right at the time. WOrks for me, maybe not others, but that's it really. The only thing i intentially try to do is include a lot of variety in my meals to ensure that i get all of the nutrients, etc. I actually find eating a nuisance so i try to keep it simple. Which is why the vegan diet works well - i don't need a barbeque or broiler to get a good meal in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 am 

ephs wrote:
thanks for telling your experiences and nice to hear the vegan diet helped you. now the question of all questions: do you eat soy? :grin:

I do eat soy and soy products. Sparingly, though. I'd say 85% of my diet is fresh foods, now. But i do use tofu, bean curd and tempeh. Veggie burgers/meatballs, veggie ground round, etc make into my meals occasionally. The only soy product that i use regularly is the fortified soy milks as they have the same nutrients/good stuff that regular cow's milk does, without the cholesterol and fats.

I should clarify that i am vegan purely for health reasons - not because i have soft spot for animals. LOL.

I have a couple of bizarre disorders relating to my blood and mainly my liver. So i am vegan to avoid dietary cholesterol and animal fats in general. They are very detrimental to me. So really, i am not vegan, so much as i am strictly anti-cholesterol and anti-animal fats. Unfortunately, as much as i would like to hammer down a steak right now, it is just not an option for me health wise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 am 

ok, i'm also more interested in the health effect of veganism than in the "i am a better person, cause i'm vegan"-ideology. so, from now on we call it plant-based diet and not vegan anymore hehehe. the benefits you got from going plant-based are very good. maybe i should really try to go plant-based for a couple of weeks or months. this thing with not having to take a nap is very interesting. cause sometimes i'm a bit tired after eating tons of meat, potatoes and vegetables.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Hoister wrote:
I actually find eating a nuisance so i try to keep it simple.

well no wonder
I'd lose 70 lbs this year if I didn't love food

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm 

Hoister wrote:
stuward wrote:

I'm just curious if you've made any changes with regard to grains, sugar, vegetable oils, processed, junk or fast foods?

No sugars other than what occurs naturally in fruits and veggies for example. No sweets or candy, etc.
Junk food and fast food are all no-no's for me. Never really have liked them. When i snack, it has always been using nuts, seeds, fruits, etc. So junk food has never really been an issue for me.

My eating habits are simple. I eat only when i am hungry and let my body tell me when it needs something. I tend to crave things that i need from what i can tell, so i literally go with my gut! I eat only enough to satisfy my physical needs. I have never been one to count grams of this and grams of that. I just go with what feels right at the time. WOrks for me, maybe not others, but that's it really. The only thing i intentially try to do is include a lot of variety in my meals to ensure that i get all of the nutrients, etc. I actually find eating a nuisance so i try to keep it simple. Which is why the vegan diet works well - i don't need a barbeque or broiler to get a good meal in.

My point, as if it wasn't obvious, is that this way of eating is what makes the difference. Whether or not you eat meat or not is a personal preferance and is not nessesarily what is making the difference.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:57 pm 

stuward wrote:
Hoister wrote:
stuward wrote:

My point, as if it wasn't obvious, is that this way of eating is what makes the difference. Whether or not you eat meat or not is a personal preferance and is not nessesarily what is making the difference.

that's right, but it's very difficult to get much protein with plant based food without supplements.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Hoister wrote:
I actually find eating a nuisance so i try to keep it simple.

well no wonder
I'd lose 70 lbs this year if I didn't love food

Meant to say "I actually find "cooking" to be a nuisance...."
I LOVE to eat, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am 

ephs wrote:
[that's right, but it's very difficult to get much protein with plant based food without supplements.

Not true. Not true at all.
Actually, when you factor in tofu and tempeh - it is much easier to get protein than on a 'regular' omnivore diet.

I don't use supplements and never had. There is no "reason" to, other than poor planning or a reluctance to adopt good eating and training habits - goes for omnivores and/or plant-based diets.